Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:15 pm
@timur,
Quote:
an Italian port, such as Piombino or Palermo, where it will be dismantled for scrap.

Normally ships are taken to third world nations where the labor is far cheaper and the environmental and workers safety laws are non-existence.

Lord to scrap this ship in a first world setting is going to cost a fortune.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
The "ripoaratori navali livornesi" are actually wellknown as are the shipyards in Piombino. (And certified according to 91/689/EEC [hazardous waste]
.)Perhaps you should update your informations.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
certified according to 91/689/EEC [hazardous waste]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 01:34 pm
@BillRM,
Well, they must get it away from there. And it is labelled as hazardous waste. And since toxic and dangerous waste can only be disposed of and managed at certified places, the closest is the cheapest.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, they must get it away from there. And it is labelled as hazardous waste. And since toxic and dangerous waste can only be disposed of and managed at certified places, the closest is the cheapest.

some if this is EU insanity, they are calling the soda co2 and oxygen bio hazard that must be managed. rotten food, ok maybe that makes sense.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oxygen can cause explosions, and a large bubble of CO2 could cause suffocation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I can look up parbuckling but Ive only heard of it in the refloating of old wooden ships partially sunk during the US Civil WAR. HAve you ever seen it done ? and what the hell do the chains do? Seems to me that they could further crush the damn thing as it slowly rights. Do they fill the ship with a gas or put airbags in the portside cabins that are now partially raised?

Id seen a sailboat get refloated by using those "sausage bags" filled with nitrogen(so there wouldn't be any danger of an alcohol or gas explosion if it sparked.

You and George OB are the ones who hve the experience on driving big boats.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
refloating or outfitting a wreck is very costly compared to building from scratch. I have experience with that from my first (38 foot "lobstah boat"). e bought a wreck and redesigned and rebuilt. I could have bought a new Hinkley for very little more. Its hard as hell to refit an engine into a hold without tearing the superstructure and pilot houses off.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

Most ships are not broken up where laws required hazardous waste safety laws and so on for the reason of cost.

Bet the ship is also own by a shell company in a nation that would allowed them to tow and scrape it without the costs associate with doing it the "correct" way or could be sold to such a shell company for that matter.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:12 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Most ships are not broken up where laws required hazardous waste safety laws and so on for the reason of cost.

Bet the ship is also own by a shell company in a nation that would allowed them to tow and scrape it without the costs associate with doing it the "correct" way or could be sold to such a shell company for that matter.
Perhaps you are not aware where is ship is NOW
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps08d527f6.jpghttp://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps7932fb15.jpg

The ship contains a mix of toxins that would be devastating for the environment if leaked into the water, which would happen if the ship breaks apart or sinks.
According to the Costa Concordia's inventory list published in the Italian press and confirmed by Costa, thousands of liters of thick lubricants, paints, insecticides, glue and paint thinners were on board before it set sail three hours before it crashed.
There are also 10 large tanks of oxygen and 3,929 liters of carbon dioxide.
That's not all.
Refrigerators filled with milk, cheese, eggs and vegetables have been closed tight since the disaster.
And the freezers that have not burst under the water pressure are still locked with their rotting thawed contents sealed inside, including 1,268 kilograms of chicken breasts, 8,200 kilograms of beef, 2,460 kilograms of cheese and 6,850 liters of ice cream.

The ship was/is operated by Costa Crociere (Genoa, Italy) and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc (Miami, Florida, US/Southampton, England, UK).
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think towing it to "Somalia" would be poor PR. The world is watching and the Carnival corp really wants to stay in business as a top shelf cruise line.

The 100s of EXIT signs alone, carry like 40000 piC/L of tritium and (green lights)Hafnium.
Swimming pool Cl is probably A hypochlorite salt (I don't think theyd carry gaseous Cl just in case of some on board disaster like an explosion)
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The ship was/is operated by Costa Crociere (Genoa, Italy) and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc (Miami, Florida, US/Southampton, England, UK).

Most/all cruise ships including Carnival ships sailing from US ports for example are flying flags of conveniences [mainly Panama] and "own" by shell companies in Panama.

Now that might not be true for EU cruise ships but someone I do not think so.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:26 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I think towing it to "Somalia" would be poor PR

You are likely right however how many billions is good PR worth?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:36 pm
@BillRM,
That is completely irrelevant, it was flying an Italian flag.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:41 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I think towing it to "Somalia" would be poor PR

You are likely right however how many billions is good PR worth?

I think it is more that no one gives a damn how much is spent, they will present the invoices to the insurance company and dare them to say no, with the resulting bad press.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That is completely irrelevant, it was flying an Italian flag.

So they are paying the cruise ship crew at first world wages and follow all the very costly regulations of having a ship under the Italian flag?

Please link to where it is stated that the ship is flying the Italian flag.
parados

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 03:53 pm
@BillRM,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Obviously you have never heard of "Pollution Exclusion" clauses.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:26 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Please link to where it is stated that the ship is flying the Italian flag.

Walter posted this earlier.

Quote:
The ship was/is operated by Costa Crociere (Genoa, Italy)

http://able2know.org/topic/183186-26#post-5440317

Maybe you'd prefer a link to Costa's website.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Corporate/The+company/aboutourselves/aboutourselves.htm

I think you'll find they're all Italian or Portuguese.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 04:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes it is amazing that a cruise ship would sail under a first world nation flag.

Quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jan/17/costa-concordia-questions-maritime-law

Incidents are generally investigated by the flag state. The Concordia is an Italian-flagged and owned ship, sailing in domestic waters when it went down. The responsibility for a full inquiry lies with Italy. An incident occurring in foreign waters on most cruise ships – owned often by US-based corporations but sailing for the most part under flags of convenience – would likely need Panama or the Bahamas to take charge