Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Sounds right.

I don't know. It looks to me like the Italians are piling blame on a scapegoat in order to cover up their own perpetual screw ups.

The judge will have to issue a report justifying his ruling in a few months. It'll be interesting to see whether this report adheres to reality or not.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Wow, the result seems right but 19 months is about 17 months too long.

An Italian trial process is actually composed of three (or even more) trials. This was only the first of the three. In a year or so, the second of the three trials will begin.

If this captain is ultimately convicted for real, it'll be another five years before it happens (unless there are complications that delay the process, in which case it'll be much longer).
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't know. It looks to me like the Italians are piling blame on a scapegoat in order to cover up their own perpetual screw ups.

Carnival should be held liable as well, they had the ability to track their ships down to meters, they probably actually do this so when this captain took ships off course for fun before this day they should have known and investigated. Besides, it was their responsibility to make sure their captains are worthy of their duties, and this one clearly was not. Their increased insurance costs alone are not enough penalty for failure to properly vet, they should get a fine of at least $500 million.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Carnival should be held liable as well, they had the ability to track their ships down to meters, they probably actually do this so when this captain took ships off course for fun before this day they should have known and investigated.

I suspect that it was all Carnival's idea to begin with.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Besides, it was their responsibility to make sure their captains are worthy of their duties, and this one clearly was not. Their increased insurance costs alone are not enough penalty for failure to properly vet, they should get a fine of at least $500 million.

If they were charged a fine, it is likely that the fine would be paid by their insurance company (although that would then raise their rates even further).
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I suspect that it was all Carnival's idea to begin with.

I never noticed a single journalist getting into this, what had the company been telling their captains in the years before this wreck. How were they told to prioritize their time, what were their full slate of duties? I suspect that they thought "Hey, these new boats run themselves, we dont need a captain to run them, so lets have the "captain" spend his time playing captain for the passengers".
0 Replies