15
   

Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

 
 
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Sounds right.

I don't know. It looks to me like the Italians are piling blame on a scapegoat in order to cover up their own perpetual screw ups.

The judge will have to issue a report justifying his ruling in a few months. It'll be interesting to see whether this report adheres to reality or not.


hawkeye10 wrote:
Wow, the result seems right but 19 months is about 17 months too long.

An Italian trial process is actually composed of three (or even more) trials. This was only the first of the three. In a year or so, the second of the three trials will begin.

If this captain is ultimately convicted for real, it'll be another five years before it happens (unless there are complications that delay the process, in which case it'll be much longer).
hawkeye10
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't know. It looks to me like the Italians are piling blame on a scapegoat in order to cover up their own perpetual screw ups.

Carnival should be held liable as well, they had the ability to track their ships down to meters, they probably actually do this so when this captain took ships off course for fun before this day they should have known and investigated. Besides, it was their responsibility to make sure their captains are worthy of their duties, and this one clearly was not. Their increased insurance costs alone are not enough penalty for failure to properly vet, they should get a fine of at least $500 million.
oralloy
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Carnival should be held liable as well, they had the ability to track their ships down to meters, they probably actually do this so when this captain took ships off course for fun before this day they should have known and investigated.

I suspect that it was all Carnival's idea to begin with.


hawkeye10 wrote:
Besides, it was their responsibility to make sure their captains are worthy of their duties, and this one clearly was not. Their increased insurance costs alone are not enough penalty for failure to properly vet, they should get a fine of at least $500 million.

If they were charged a fine, it is likely that the fine would be paid by their insurance company (although that would then raise their rates even further).
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I suspect that it was all Carnival's idea to begin with.


I never noticed a single journalist getting into this, what had the company been telling their captains in the years before this wreck. How were they told to prioritize their time, what were their full slate of duties? I suspect that they thought "Hey, these new boats run themselves, we dont need a captain to run them, so lets have the "captain" spend his time playing captain for the passengers".
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Friends don't let friends fat-talk - Discussion by hawkeye10
Before you criticize the media - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fatal Baloon Accident - Discussion by 33export
The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie - Discussion by bobsal u1553115
Robin Williams is dead - Discussion by Butrflynet
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/07/2020 at 07:53:45