cav's A2K absence and return

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:23 pm
Hi everyone. It seems my absence has been noticed. Here is the tale of 'woe is me' that has kept me away: Not long after New Year's, I became extremely jaundiced almost overnight, and my abdominal region swelled up immensely. I checked myself into emerg. expecting a few tests, and was kept there for a week. I was subject to every damn test in the book, and in the end, they couldn't figure out what was wrong, but they thought it was my liver, as my liver was enormous. The last test was a liver biopsy, which I only got results from recently. The official diagnosis was acute steatohepatitis, or fatty liver disease with liver inflammation. The good news is, the condition is reversible, if I eat well, and stay away from alcohol, pain killers, things like fried foods, anything high in sugar, and just generally take care of myself. Bad news, I may not make a full recovery for a year or so. The docs were a tad mystified, as I am a bit too young for this condition, and my heavy drinking days ended about two years ago. Que sera sera. Each day is a little better, but things still take me an inordinately long time to do these days. Couple all this with chronic mid-back problems, and it's not a happy thing. The original fatigue is not nearly as bad, so I have returned, and hope to get back up to speed here soon. Feel free to send good wishes to me, or share experiences if you know anyone who has been through something like this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,622 • Replies: 177
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:28 pm
cav- I was thinking about you recently, and wondered where you were. I am glad that you were given a diagnosis, so that you can deal with this ailment. Just remember, we are all here for you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
Oy!
That sounds positively rotten. I'm glad they've found you a treatable diagnosis, and that you're going to be taking very good care of yourself.
I guess I'll have to go to Kensington Market to find you a perfect cauliflower, or something similar.

<hugging my friend very gently>
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:32 pm
Mucho kisses to a speedy recovery Cav, m'man! http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/kiss.gif
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:36 pm
Feel better soon my friend.

Is chicken soup with matzoh balls okay on your diet?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
Get well soon, buddy.

I got a diagnosis of Meneire's Syndrome back in the summer; I'm now on a diuretic daily and have instructions to avoid fried foods, fatty foods, alcohol, sugar, and especially salt...in short, all of the things that make life worth living.

Especially because you are a chef, I'm sure it's going to be a real drag not to be able to eat the things you once did.

It's still better than the alternative.

Glad you're feeling better.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
jespah wrote:
Feel better soon my friend.

Is chicken soup with matzoh balls okay on your diet?

(just hold the schmalz...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:51 pm
Cav - I was wondering where you'd gone to! I'm glad you're back and sorry that your body is sassing you. I know nothing of the disease, but you can be sure I'll keep my ears open from now on.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:59 pm
littleK- I had never heard of the condition either, but this article gives a good overvew:

Link to steatohepatitis
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:07 pm
So I guess a box of chocolates is out, then...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:13 pm
Wow. Thanks Phoenix.

Cav - no diabetes?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
My bad. I'll make it without schmalz. Get well soon!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:41 pm
Just yesterday I almost asked someone here about your absence, I'm sorry you have such a good excuse. Speedy recovery to ya!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
Sounds like a horrible experience, Cav. Glad you're on the mend. Welcome back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:54 pm
I had just assumed you were working a sweet deal on the job and so waited patiently to see your name on here once you got finished and raked in the dough. Good to have you back and on track to a good recovery. I missed your contributions.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:56 pm
What a frightening experience that must have been. Glad to see you back. Stay well.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:57 pm
That sounds like a rough dietary regimen, old man, but hang in there. I wish you all the best!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:58 pm
Great to see ya back, Cav.

You'll lick this thing!

We missed ya.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:01 pm
Aw, Cav, how rotten! Sad I'm sorry you went through that & hope things are more *normal* before too long.
Take extra good cre of yourself, hear?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:12 pm
I have missed you. I hope your road to recovery is smooth, painless and quick.
Your humour has sorely been lacking on these pages.
I'll have a drink for you and toast to your improved health.
Ceili
0 Replies