I predict - Sandusky will never go to trial and never see a jail cell.

engineer

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:24 pm
@engineer,
The statue was removed today.
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/7/22/10/enhanced-buzz-wide-25552-1342967699-2.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:32 pm
Quote:
Emmert seems determined to go where no NCAA president has gone before. Not only is he willing and apparently anxious to involve his organization in a situation that does not fit neatly into NCAA enforcement bylaws, but he also seems willing to put on the Roger Goodell cowboy hat and sheriff's badge, making himself the chief arbiter of justice.
To the best of my knowledge, the normal NCAA enforcement process has not taken place with Penn State. No investigation by enforcement representatives, no notice of allegations, no formal charges against the school. Nor has there been a Committee on Infractions hearing, wherein the school is afforded the opportunity to rebut any violations it is accused of, or a meeting of the committee to assess penalties.
[Related: Penn State to learn NCAA sanctions on Monday]
The most by-the-book institution this side of the IRS appears to have thrown the book out the window. Instead, we have fast-forwarded through every customary phase of NCAA justice, alighting on something that seems to more closely approximate the NFL's current credo: In Commissioner We Trust.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--penn-state-mark-emmert-ncaa-sanctions-paterno-statue-sandusky-child-abuse.html

Due process is important in America...what Penn St should do is refuse to accept the handed out penaltys and sue the NCAA for justice. I doubt that they will. Being over eager to put this behind them will be Penn St undoing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am reading some opinions that this is so big that the NCAA has no proper roll in punishment, that this should be left the the state justice system. This is right, and is another reason why Penn St should take the NCAA to court.

an example of the argument is found here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/07/19/penn-state-death-penalty/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:27 pm
Quote:
COMMENTARY
The sins of the father

By Rick Reilly | ESPN.com

Updated: July 13, 2012, 6:56 PM ET

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.

Twenty-five years later, when former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was accused of a 15-year reign of pedophilia on young boys, I thought Paterno was too old and too addled to understand, too grandfatherly and Catholic to get that Sandusky was committing grisly crimes using Paterno's own football program as bait.

But I was wrong. Paterno knew. He knew all about it. He'd known for years. He knew and he followed it vigilantly.

That's all clear now after Penn State's own investigator, former FBI director Louis Freeh, came out Thursday and hung the whole disgusting canvas on a wall for us. Showed us the emails, read us the interviews, shined a black light on all of the lies they left behind. It cost $6.5 million and took eight months and the truth it uncovered was 100 times uglier than the bills.

Paterno knew about a mother's cry that Sandusky had molested her son in 1998. Later, Paterno lied to a grand jury and said he didn't. Paterno and university president Graham Spanier and vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley all knew what kind of sick coach they had on the payroll in Sandusky. Schultz had pertinent questions. "Is this opening of pandora's box?" he wrote in personal notes on the case. "Other children?" "Sexual improprieties?"

It gets worse. According to Freeh, Spanier, Schultz and Curley were set to call child services on Sandusky in February 2001 until Paterno apparently talked them out of it. Curley wasn't "comfortable" going to child services after that talk with JoePa.

Yeah, that's the most important thing, your comfort.

What'd they do instead? Alerted nobody. Called nobody. And let Sandusky keep leading his horrific tours around campus. "Hey, want to see the showers?" That sentence alone ought to bring down the statue.

What a stooge I was.

I talked about Paterno's "true legacy" in all of this. Here's his true legacy: Paterno let a child molester go when he could've stopped him. He let him go and then lied to cover his sinister tracks. He let a rapist go to save his own recruiting successes and fundraising pitches and big-fish-small-pond hide.

Here's a legacy for you. Paterno's cowardice and ego and fears allowed Sandusky to molest at least eight more boys in the years after that 1998 incident -- Victims 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Just to recap: By not acting, a grown man failed to protect eight boys from years of molestation, abuse and self-loathing, all to save his program the embarrassment. The mother of Victim 1 is "filled with hatred toward Joe Paterno," the victim's lawyer says. "She just hates him, and reviles him." Can you blame her?

What a sap I was.

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.

What a chump I was.

I tweeted that, yes, Paterno should be fired, but that he was, overall, "a good and decent man." I was wrong. Good and decent men don't do what Paterno did. Good and decent men protect kids, not rapists. And to think Paterno comes from "father" in Italian.

This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered.

What a tool I was.

As Joe Paterno lay dying, I actually felt sorry for him. Little did I know he was taking all of his dirty secrets to the grave. Nine days before he died, he had The Washington Post's Sally Jenkins in his kitchen. He could've admitted it then. Could've tried a simple "I'm sorry." But he didn't. Instead, he just lied deeper. Right to her face. Right to all of our faces.

That professor was right, all those years ago. I was engaging in hagiography. So was that school. So was that town. It was dangerous. Turns out it builds monsters.

Not all of them ended up in prison.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8162972/joe-paterno-true-legacy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wonder when the last shoe will drop as to the involvement of the sitting PA governor who was to have launched an investigation in 1998 when he was the Attorney General of PA.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:35 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I wonder when the last shoe will drop as to the involvement of the sitting PA governor who was to have launched an investigation in 1998 when he was the Attorney General of PA.

He is stonewalling as I understand it. Seems like state residents might want to look at him as being majorly responsible for the cover-up and the resulting major dismantling of the once great Pennsylvania State University as punishment.

Is the state really going to stand for the massive retribution against the University when only a handful of men were responsible for the cover-up? By all rights there should be a riot on Campus tomorrow.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
If you feel that Penn State, as an institution, should be absolved , then the cases against all the above will need to be made in serious criminal "conspircy" fashion.

Im sure other , less moneyed, sports programs at PEnn State, including their downhill skiing and golf teams, will also be made guilty by associatin.
However, if only the football program is curtailed for a year and the real perps are not pursued due to topside pressure, then Id be saddened.
I think the NCAA and combined criminal processes will be satisfied. They have to be.
In PA, many of the sports writers and legal writers are having a huge feeding frenzy and the consensus as Ive been able to read(Based upon a few fav editorial op eds in several PA cities) is for criminal charges in a growing daisy chain of suspects AND "death penalty"
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:54 pm
@farmerman,
I think those punished by the death penalty have no guilt. Jail time for those who did wrong, pay out money, perhaps change the board and call it a day. I think we know enough about the proposed NCAA sanctions to know that their aim is bleed the University to near death and watch them suffer for their crimes.

The problem is that 99,999 % of the people at the University are innocent.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Is the state really going to stand for the massive retribution against the University when only a handful of men were responsible for the cover-up?

Handful?
You really don't get this whole 'culture' thing, do you?

I can only imagine how bad you feel about this whole thing. Something you love so much, so sick. I am a Buckeye, so I understand your love for PSU. In a much smaller way, I went through similar thoughts last year with Tressel. Also with a beloved coach 30 years ago with Woody. But, they were wrong, and were punished. It's hurts deeply when something or someone we love betray's us.

In this PSU case it hurts so bad because of the real victims. The most innocent among us, children. But this was not just a betrayal by Joe, or Jerry, or a few PSU executives. It was a fault of the whole organization. Very lax oversight. Letting JoePa be the absolute authority he seemed to be. Not doing their jobs. A definition of 'lack of institutional control'. This existed for 15 years. The system failed. Yes, a handful took advantage of the poor system, but the system failed.

Read the four questions the NCAA ask. Those questions were not directed at a handful of men.

I think your 99,999 % estimate is a little high.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:16 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Due process is important in America...what Penn St should do is refuse to accept the handed out penaltys and sue the NCAA for justice. I doubt that they will. Being over eager to put this behind them will be Penn St undoing.

I'm not certain that Penn State broke any NCAA rules so I'm not sure what the punishment would be for. That people broke laws is clear and the legal system will handle that but sports rules? I don't see that. The NCAA would do much better to stay clear. The article Hawk linked to follows my line of thinking pretty well. (Any school refusing to accept penalties would find themselves without a place to play sports in unless they could convince like minded teams to form a new collegiate sports league.)
JPB

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:34 am
@engineer,
I watched the announcement this morning and the NCAA disagrees with your premise that PSU didn't break any NCAA rules. He listed a number of them and stated that the sanctions have been written as a consent decree which PSU has already signed. There will be no law suit or refusal.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:01 am
@JPB,
Quote:

In a statement Monday, Penn State President Rodney Erickson said the university accepts the penalties issued by the NCAA, an indication that Penn State probably won't appeal the sanctions.

“With today’s announcement and the action it requires of us, the university takes a significant step forward,” Erickson said in a statement.

NCAA President Mark Emmert said that the severe and unprecedented sanctions issued to Penn State and its football program reflected “tragic and tragically unnecessary circumstances.”

"An argument can be made that the egregiousness and the behavior in this case is greater than any other seen in NCAA history,” Emmert said.

He continued: “No price the NCAA can levy will repair the grievous damage inflicted by Jerry Sandusky on his victims. However, we can make clear that the culture, actions and inactions that allowed them to be victimized will not be tolerated in collegiate athletics.”

Penn State was hit with a $60-million fine (the equivalent of the average of its football program’s gross revenues in one year, the NCAA stated), and its football team was dealt a four-year postseason ban and scholarship reductions for four years.

Additionally, all Penn State sports were placed on probation for five years and the NCAA vacated the football team’s 112 wins from 1998-2011, 111 of which were credited to Joe Paterno.

Paterno, who had won 409 games for Penn State in his 46 seasons as Penn State's head coach, is, as of Monday, no longer the winningest coach in the history of major college football.

Instead, Paterno, who died six months ago, is credited with 298, 12th most in the NCAA record books.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ncaa-pennstate1-20120723,0,4688788.story
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:08 am
Make sure every nickel of the 60 million comes out of the football program.

Joe(every fricking nickel)Nation
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Paterno, who had won 409 games for Penn State in his 46 seasons as Penn State's head coach, is, as of Monday, no longer the winningest coach in the history of major college football.

Instead, Paterno, who died six months ago, is credited with 298, 12th most in the NCAA record books.

Now that is a good punishment.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think we know enough about the proposed NCAA sanctions to know that their aim is bleed the University to near death and watch them suffer for their crimes.

the "program" was responsible for the crime and it, as meted out by the NCAA , is the sufferor. People are free to leave that Univerity milieu as they see fit. If the U is only identified with fooball, even after Paternos "Scholar/athlete' requirements to play, havent really been listening.

This NCAA sanction will cripple the fooball program, and Paternos legacy, not the student on campus.

ANYWAY, these sanctions do NOT preclude tht several inictments may be forthcoming on individuals of the higher echelon of admin (including president Spanier)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:20 am
@engineer,
I'm just pissed he's dead and missed being disgraced while still breathing.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:20 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I'm just pissed he's dead and missed being disgraced while still breathing.

The Soviets used to go just one step further and remove people that they did not like from the history books. Lying about history discredits the one telling the lie.

The NCAA will get away with this because the mob approves of their target, but they have here displayed a lack of dedication to fairness (the violating of established proceedures and any semblence of due process) and honesty.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@hawkeye10,
noone is "disappearing" Paterno , His legacy is, actually being punished , not ignored.

Penn State presdient stated that the U will NOT appeal and , instead, wants to get this behind them by a new day of ethics and high morel standards
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@farmerman,
yes , I was referring to the mushroom
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 11:28 am
@farmerman,
As predicted...you can't punish a legacy by lying about what happened, lying about what he accomplished on the field does not take away from what he did on the field. Truthtellers and truthseakers are not so easily bambozzelled.