I predict - Sandusky will never go to trial and never see a jail cell.

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I've read parts of it. Damning for sure.

"Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State. The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized. Messrs. Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley never demonstrated, through actions or words, any concern for the safety and well-being of Sandusky's victims until after Sandusky's arrest," Mr. Freeh said.

Hawkeye - obviously you have a different view than the one above.

Mr. Freeh and his group spent a lot of time and effort to come to the above conclusion. It's difficult to dismiss. Saying Joe didn't know is difficult to believe.

I accept that you are not going to change your mind about this.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:27 pm
I ran across this and though I'd share because it seems revelant. I hope I didn't break any copyright laws.

"PSU alumni and students - we need a voice of responsibility that is not focused on denial, defense, or misdirection, but that accepts that there was wrong-doing and calls for accountability, responsibility, and change at PSU to reject the environment that allowed these actions over a decade. It is past time to allow the voice of alumni and student to be left just to vocal individuals who are determined to deny any accountability or responsibility for the failure to act, the failure to notify the police, and the failure to notify the child welfare organization in Pennsylvania regarding Mr. Sandusky's actions (of which he has been convicted in a court of law). I urge you to become part of that new voice of responsibility, and visit our new web page and petition for PSU Alumni and Students for Children's Rights and Dignity at http://www.psuchildrights.com. A legacy of responsibility, accountability, and unwavering commitment to children's human rights - should be the only legacy we are concerned about at Penn State. "
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:28 pm
@IRFRANK,
The stewards of the university had as their first priority the best interests of the university, which includes fullfilling their legal obligation to potential vicitms. It sure looks like they might have come up short, but I see little to indicate that Paterno did. I don't prescribe to the oft repeated opinion that the university had a moral obligation to go above and beyond the law....we the collective tell them what their obligations are through the law. If the laws demand not enough action then the ones at fault are those who wrote the laws, not those who followed the laws. That said, it remains to be seen if the university leaders followed the law, though almost certainly Paterno did.

Point to the evidence Freeh collected proving that Paterno knew that Sandusky is a child abuser. It is not there, because if it where it would have been highlighted at the header of the report.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Freehs major condemnation of Paterno seems to be

1) he did not allert everyone in the football program that Sandusky was reported as a bad guy.

There was a investigation of Sandusky after which law enforcement and the University stewards took no action...spreading derogatory gossip about sandusky around the foodball program would have been inapropreate.

2) Paterno did not lock sandusky out of football facilities

See #1

3) Paterrno was told fully of the 1998 investigation so he should have known that sandusky was a bad guy

All that investigation showed was that Sandusky was conducting horseplay in the shower, to which authorities gave Sandusky a pass. Why should we have expected Paternio to countermand his bosses and law enforcement?

4) Paterno did not break the chain of command and go to the board about Sandusky

What was Joe suppoesed to report? Why would we expect Joe to break ranks to report gossip about a guy who had done so much to help the football program? Joe never had any cause to think any worse of Sandusky than that he was stupid, so why would Joe display disloyalty to both Sandusky and his bosses to do this? This accusation about Joe assumes that he either knew or should have known more than Paterno said that he knew. So far my skim of the report and reporting indicates that Freeh did not even begin to prove that his assumptions are valid.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
aterno was also asked if prior to that moment he knew of any incidents involving Sandusky and inappropriate behavior with children.
"I do not know of anything else that Jerry would be involved in of that nature, no," he testified under oath. "I do not know of it."
Paterno did know. In 1998, according to emails obtained by the Freeh Group, Paterno was told of a police investigation into Sandusky abusing a boy in the showers. In May of 1998, Curley emailed Schultz and specifically asked: "Anything new in this department? Coach is anxious to know where it stands.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--joe-paterno-blame-freeh-report-jerry-sandusky-penn-state-tarnished-legacy.html

This, unlike the other accusations against Paterno, troubling.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sally Jenkins, whom I almost always agree with, says that Paterno's lie about knowing of the 98 charges damn him to hell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/joe-paterno-at-the-end-showed-more-interest-in-his-legacy-than-sanduskys-victims/2012/07/12/gJQAMUX9fW_story.html
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Why would we expect Joe to break ranks to report gossip about a guy who had done so much to help the football program?

Because it wasn't gossip, it was an accusation of sexual mis-conduct with children who were in the confines and facilities of Penn State.

But I think you are realizing that now.

Joe(They fucked up.)Nation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:29 am
@hawkeye10,
From your link...

Quote:
He was the self-appointed arbiter of character and justice in State College. He had decided Sandusky was “a good man” in 1998, and he simply found it too hard to admit he made a fatal misjudgment and gave a child molester the office nearest to his. He was more interested in protecting a cardboard cutout legacy than the flesh and blood of young men.

The only explanation I can find for this “striking lack of empathy” is self-absorption. In asking how a paragon of virtue could have behaved like such a thoroughly bad guy, the only available answer is that Paterno fell prey to the single most corrosive sin in sports: the belief that winning on the field makes you better and more important than other people.

Yep.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Forget about Sally Jenkins.

Did you ever get around to reading the report?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:55 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Forget about Sally Jenkins.

Did you ever get around to reading the report?

Ya.....and I think Sally nailed it.

The only thing Freeh unconvered of interest was that Paterno lied about knowing of the 98 charges.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
The family was planning to respond to the report almost immediately but I don't see where they have. Their mission is to protect the legacy. Not much to do with this other than say that Joe let loyalty cloud his judgement, and that this one wrong should not rub out all of the good he did with is life.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
For those who did not know Sally did the last Paterno interview, indicating that she is someone whom he trusted to play it straight. It is telling that she now comes out strongly against him.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:44 pm
I was today reading an impassioned plea to tear down the Paterno monument on PSU and replace it with one to the "Penn ST" victims......as if Paterno himself minted victims.

How perfect!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
More troubling news regarding the creature Paterno.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-got-richer-contract-amid-jerry-sandusky-inquiry.html?_r=2&hp

Quote:
Paterno Won Sweeter Deal Even as Scandal Played Out

In January 2011, Joe Paterno learned prosecutors were investigating his longtime assistant coach Jerry Sandusky for sexually assaulting young boys. Soon, Mr. Paterno had testified before a grand jury, and the rough outlines of what would become a giant scandal had been published in a local newspaper.

That same month, Mr. Paterno, the football coach at Penn State, began negotiating with his superiors to amend his contract, with the timing something of a surprise because the contract was not set to expire until the end of 2012, according to university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions. By August, Mr. Paterno and the university’s president, both of whom were by then embroiled in the Sandusky investigation, had reached an agreement.

Mr. Paterno was to be paid $3 million at the end of the 2011 season if he agreed it would be his last. Interest-free loans totaling $350,000 that the university had made to Mr. Paterno over the years would be forgiven as part of the retirement package. He would also have the use of the university’s private plane and a luxury box at Beaver Stadium for him and his family to use over the next 25 years.

The university’s full board of trustees was kept in the dark about the arrangement until November, when Mr. Sandusky was arrested and the contract arrangements, along with so much else at Penn State, were upended. Mr. Paterno was fired, two of the university’s top officials were indicted in connection with the scandal, and the trustees, who held Mr. Paterno’s financial fate in their hands, came under verbal assault from the coach’s angry supporters.

Board members who raised questions about whether the university ought to go forward with the payments were quickly shut down, according to two people with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

The details of Mr. Paterno and his family’s fight for money seem to deepen one of the lasting truths of the Sandusky scandal: the significant power that Mr. Paterno exerted on the state institution, its officials, its alumni and its purse strings.

Since Mr. Paterno’s death in January, Mr. Paterno’s family, lawyers and publicists have mounted an aggressive campaign to protect his legacy. The family and its lawyers have hammered the university’s board of trustees, accusing members of attempting to deflect blame onto a dying Mr. Paterno. This week, they angrily disputed the conclusions of an independent investigation that asserted Mr. Paterno and other top university officials protected a serial predator in order to “avoid the consequences of bad publicity” for the university, its football program and its coach’s reputation.

On Friday, Wick Sollers, a lawyer for Mr. Paterno and his family, said that it was Penn State that last summer proposed the lucrative retirement package, and that many of the aspects of the proposal — use of the plane, the luxury box — had existed in prior contracts.

Information about the salary paid to Mr. Paterno, one of the longest serving and most successful college football coaches in history, had for many years been hard to come by. In recent years, though, it became fairly common knowledge that he earned about $1 million annually, not counting his television deals and his contracts with shoe and apparel companies.

But speculation about just how long he was going to remain the well-compensated coach of Penn State had been going on for a decade or more. Mr. Paterno survived an attempt to force him into retirement in 2004, and before the Sandusky revelations, his most recent deal ran through the end of 2012.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:31 am
Quote:
"Look, this is awful, gut-wrenching," Carville said of the Penn State abuse scandal this morning on the "This Week" roundtable. "And people that I really respect are talking about the death penalty for Penn State football. That is a really dumb idea. Lives have been ruined, so the answer to it, let's go out and ruin more lives?
"Let's take a kid who's a football player who was in the second grade when this happened and let's suspend the program. Who knows what he's going to do with his education?" Carville added. "Let's take every contract that's been signed … everybody that has a motel in Happy Valley, let's ruin their lives as a retaliation."

http://news.yahoo.com/james-carville-suspending-penn-state-football-really-dumb-183313942--abc-news-politics.html

Retribution and retaliation..it is the modern american way. This is for instance how we populate our massive prison system.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 01:23 am
@hawkeye10,
with serial child molesters, you mean...
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree with Carville and you on this one. This could have happened anywhere. It's not 'Penn State's' fault. There is no reason to punish those left. Those involved should pay a price and as a culture / society we should look at ways to make sure this is not so easily concealed in the future. We do so easily blame the other guy. One minute we are a people ' Americans' and the next it's the other guys fault. I feel for the innocent people at PSU that must be hurting so much from all of this. The real lesson here is that when we put people like Paterno on such a pedestal we need to keep our eyes and minds open.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:29 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
with serial child molesters, you mean...

The child molester is in prison. What this statement is about is punishing the innocent people left behind.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 07:31 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
[Retribution and retaliation..it is the modern american way. This is for instance how we populate our massive prison system/quote]

Retribution and retaliation is the human way. Not uniquely American or modern.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 09:31 am
@IRFRANK,
The NCAA has no credibility here, they are front and center selling the highly profitable football programs and we hear not a peep out of them when football coaches are given bigger contracts the the university presidents. What happened at Penn St was a culture problem, and the NCAA is the one organization which is most responsible for the creation of this culture problem. The death penalty for PSU football would be like punishing only E-5's for the torture at Abu Graib.