Cut your hair, ya damn hippie!

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
We regularly imprison our 18-month old.... Wink

You better brace yourself, then, because he'll exercise his Second-Amendment right to bear toy cars and slip them under your shoes. This is how tyrants fall.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 03:01 pm
@boomerang,
Did you get a chance to ask Mr. B how he would feel about a girl getting pierced?
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 03:02 pm
@engineer,
No I didn't. We had a crazy busy night and no time without Mo nearby. I'll ask him when I get a chance this weekend.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 04:31 pm
@Thomas,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I did not intend to appear dismissive. I acknowledge your efforts
and I agree that the results of your research are in keeping
with the American and English zeitgeist of the 17OOs.
So was slavery.
Thomas wrote:
Evidently you haven't read your Blackstone
Its been a long, long time, Thomas
and I don 't remember it too clearly. U cawt me!

Thomas wrote:
, who takes a firm stand against slavery: "I have formerly observed that pure and proper slavery does not, nay cannot, subsist in England; such I mean, whereby an absolute and unlimited power is given to the master over the life and fortune of the slave. And indeed it is repugnant to reason, and the principles of natural law, that such a state should subsist any where."

Child protection does not equal slavery---not in the founding era, and not today.
Well, being that I am an anti-slavery kind of fellow,
I must say that I approve of that.
I am a big supporter of Individual freedom (as a general rule).

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 06:51 am
@engineer,
I asked him. He said "I don't know.... maybe."
engineer

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 01:15 pm
@boomerang,
So how do you interpret that? (I know how I interpret that but your take is probably much better than mine.)

When my son (about Mo's age) wanted a dog I said no. Forcefully no. He then wrote papers on various dog types and wrote up proposals on how he would care for a dog, listening carefully as I shot down his requests so as to address my concerns in the next proposal. Perhaps Mo could do some research into the pros and cons of piercings and some history into body ornamentation. Mr. B might be swayed if he could see that Mo's interest is more than just "I want an earring."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 06:55 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
So how do you interpret that? (I know how I interpret that but your take is probably much better than mine.)

When my son (about Mo's age) wanted a dog I said no. Forcefully no. He then wrote papers on various dog types and wrote up proposals on how he would care for a dog, listening carefully as I shot down his requests so as to address my concerns in the next proposal. Perhaps Mo could do some research into the pros and cons of piercings and some history into body ornamentation. Mr. B might be swayed if he could see that Mo's interest is more than just "I want an earring."
Was your son successful, or did he ignomineously fall to defeat???????
engineer

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 08:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
After a several month campaign that included research papers on dog training, various types of dogs and dog care plus a campaign by his friends to find him a dog and some serious father/son talks about the responsibilities of a dog owner, a friend of a friend who rescues dogs took one in only to have it give birth on her couch, so we ended up with a puppy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 08:28 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
After a several month campaign that included research papers on dog training, various types of dogs and dog care plus a campaign by his friends to find him a dog and some serious father/son talks about the responsibilities of a dog owner, a friend of a friend who rescues dogs took one in only to have it give birth on her couch, so we ended up with a puppy.
Y did u subject your own son
to such torment ?
engineer

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 10:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, he could have walked away at any time without a dog. It was his determination and initiative that kept bringing him back.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:35 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
No, he could have walked away at any time without a dog.
In defeat, yes.

engineer wrote:
It was his determination and initiative that kept bringing him back.
Yes; in my relations with my girlfriends' children,
I tried to be kinder, to make them happier, without so much travail.

I think being kind to your friends counts for something.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 07:13 am
@engineer,
I interpret it as something he hasn't really thought about, having not been in a position to consider it for a daughter since we don't have one.

Mo had to write a research paper and develop a contract in order to get a snake for a pet and to get a dirt bike. I agree that it's a good exercise.

I tried to look up statistics on people having real problems with ear piercing the other day and couldn't find anything. There were a few anecdotal stories of problems and quite a bit of info on problems related to other types of body piercing, especially tongue piercings. I don't know if he could come up with a lot of information.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 07:20 am
@boomerang,
I’m not sure about Mr. B’s reasoning, but when we were faced with the same thing, I was the big stickler. It wasn’t that I was fundamentally opposed, but I thought it a little too precious in a 12 year old, and in my book, it was/is a permanent change.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 07:25 am
@boomerang,
Maybe he could go back to ancient Egypt for history.

If he included information on the health effects of tongue piercings, etc that might help his case since he could show that he was informed enough to avoid those practices.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 09:03 am

What does it say about the state of one 's mental health
who has intentionally pierced his or her own tongue
and inserted a metal bar thru the wound!!??

I don 't even wanna think about it.

Let the record show that I have never mutilated my body,
nor has that ever occurred to me.

David
Irishk

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 10:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have this.

It's not a mental problem, but what's funny is that even if I'd known about it beforehand, I'd probably have had my ears pierced anyway. It just means I'm doomed to not being able to wear the pretty, less expensive jewelry many others can. The ear area is the most sensitive, but my wrist and neck areas will become uncomfortable if I wear cheap watches or necklaces. I mostly just go bare (those gimmicky 'cures' -- stainless steel, plastic shields, dabbing on special ointments -- don't work).

It's the second most common allergy next to poinson ivy. I can't imagine having it on my tongue, or, er, other body parts lol.

Irish(it'sMetal, notMental)K
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 10:25 am
@Irishk,
Understood.

David
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 11:20 am
Why does Mo want his ear pierced?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 11:59 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I tried to look up statistics on people having real problems with ear piercing the other day and couldn't find anything. There were a few anecdotal stories of problems

this took about 45 seconds

if Mr. B is interested, there's more out there

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/115/5/1312

http://www.medicinenet.com/keloid/page2.htm

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1115/p2029.html

Quote:
Ear Piercings

INFECTIOUS COMPLICATIONS

The ear is the most common site for body piercing. In one study, up to 35 percent of persons with pierced ears had one or more complications (e.g., minor infection [77 percent], allergic reaction [43 percent], keloid formation [2.5 percent], and traumatic tearing [2.5 percent]).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 12:23 pm
I like the variety of earrings available for pierced ears. Didn't get mine pierced until my thirties and I then went crazy (or crazier) with earring buying. Alas I was allergic, even to good gold earrings, and also got keloids, which I had to have cortisone shots to get rid of. I've spent the rest of my years selecting earrings with pierced earring attachments and substituting regular clip type attachments (from places like Michael's)... and those only work for some types of designs.

Some of my latina friends had their ears pierced as babies. (Wonder if babies get allergies to them or keloids - I bet they don't).

Seems to me all this pretty much comes down to local culture, mixed with parental viewpoints. Interesting discussion.