How do you draw "rough" hair?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:30 pm
@Ragman,
I am doing some artwork for it right now. Don't insult my characters. Do you think Popeye and Superman are gay?
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
huh? You clearly have no concentration or focus at all. Your characters..what characters? I see cut-and-pastes of Superman comics and pictures of Popeye toy statues etc. here. Do you confuse yourself too?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:34 pm
@Ragman,
http://able2know.org/topic/179113-4#post-4792865

Look at the links on this link.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
And what would I be looking for?

As an artist (and acting as a critic) if I were to comment, you'd reject my criticism unless it praised you. So what would be the point there?

If I were commenting in any other capacity, I'd say I observed that you have given examples of something a junior high school art student might do.

That is the truth - it's kitsch ... whether you like it or not.

However, my opinion doesn't matter. What matters is the market place...whether or not you can successfully market your comics. Will that sell?

Go for it. Prove the critics wrong.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 04:49 pm
@Ragman,
Okay, if you can stop insulting them, then I will listen to you. What do you dislike about my drawings? How would you fix them?

That is how I draw cartoons.

They is nothing CUTESY about them, so stop comparing my stuff to wide-eyed kiddie pics.

Specifically, what do you find unappealling about them?
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
I can't! That's your job.

Here's an example. As a prof photographic artist, I take great pictures, sometimes very artisitic ones. Sometimes those that what I call art other do not. When I bring the best ot them to to a gallery, they might sell if my portfolio is strong enough.

However, at times, I can fall into cliches. So when I make images which I like but are cliche images, and try to market them, they go nowhere - not in the galleries not in the market place online.

I have to be careful to avoid getting branded as a cliche artist.

If some people here tell you that these characters appear to them to be kitsch, perhaps you should listen? However you don't HAVE to listen. You can bang your head against the wall and allow the market place to tell you the TRUTH.

Try to market those comics with those characters. Remember it's not just the characters, it's how entertaining the whole package is and where and whom your market is. Can you reach a buying public?

Get them out there in the market place and stop obsessing on one or more details.

Paralyzing obsession is more of your problem - far more than whether or not your characters are gay or kitsch ...blue or green or drawn well.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:07 pm
@Ragman,
YOU'RE the one calling them KITSCH and trying to insult them. I am asking you what do YOU find unappealing about them? I don't see anything WRONG with what I drew. I am ASKING for your criticism.

Some people actually LIKE my stuff.

I am targeting this stuff to YOUNGSTERS.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
As expected...you asked for advice..and you turned on me so you tie my hands. You take criticism as a personal affront. What is a feller to do - especially when asked?! I didn't see anything wrong with my cliched images either. Until I learned what I needed to do to avoid cliches, I was wasting my time. I studied what images sold and what didn't.

All you want to do is discuss these things and have attention focused on you. My comments are irrelevant to you. So why ask any more than that?

When you look at a meal on your table, what do you do? I'll tell you what I'd do - I'd eat it ~and then see how it tastes. For me, the tastes of your characters leaves a kitschy taste in my mouth. That's the best I can tell you.

Sucks - don't it?

Youngsters have taste buds too. Go ask 8-12 yr olds what they think, if that is your targeted audience. Your mom has a church, right? Go ask those kids in the church.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:13 pm
@Ragman,
I WILL ASK AGAIN - WHAT DO YOU FIND UNAPPEALING ABOUT MY STUFF?

You don't speak for the whole cartoon or comic book community.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
"Do you think Popeye and Superman are gay? "

as a sailor, Popeye could very well have been bisexual.

Superman had no sexual organs. (a heat breath accident while still in smallville. horrible burnt pube smell for weeks)
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:27 pm
@Ragman,
Okay, fine - I am trying to be nice; you aren't going to answer my question then BUG OFF.

I forgot I am trying to reason with a TROLL.

This is like DAVID trying to ask GOLIATH for help.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:37 pm
You really are lazy. Google it..or use a dictionary.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:41 pm
@Ragman,
I am going to ask one more time - What do you find unappealing about my work? Please tell me.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:55 pm
@Ragman,
NVM - SCREW YOU. I have a degree in Animation/Film. You are trying to compare my stuff to something kids in junior high do.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
Besides, this topic question was already answered.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then why go on and on?
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:43 pm
I am making a multicultural comic book for kids about streetfighting cats and dogs that fight crime. Cat and dog street gangs.

KIDS and GENERAL AUDIENCES aren't going to take them seriously if they were cutesy.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:43 pm
@Ragman,
You just came here to TROLL and to try to insult my artwork.
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
I find that attempting to help you or conversing with you is hopeless.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 07:04 pm
@Ragman,
You INSULTED my work and then when I TRIED to ASK you what you find UNAPPEALING ABOUT IT you refused to answer. DON'T PLAY with me.

You are about as bad as Shewolf.

My cartooning style is somewhat reminiscent of Looney Tunes - people have told me this.