How do you draw "rough" hair?

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:27 pm
I have two characters in my comic book- Tuffy and Ruffy. They are streetfighters and I want them to look tough and rough and I want their hair to match. Tuffy has hair that protrudes outwardly and curves downward- I want him to have "tough" hair. I want his brother Ruffy to have "rough" hair but how would you draw that? Should it look something like the inverse of Tuffy's hair - something like an arched-up pompadour like Ace Ventura's:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/AceVenturaAnimated.PNG
http://hwcdn.themoviedb.org/posters/03f/4bed999f017a3c458a00003f/ace-ventura-pet-detective-mid.jpg

Ruffy's hair is like the inverse of Tuffy's hair. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 21,547 • Replies: 192

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:08 pm
Here is a link to one of my drawings:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/MAvericker/newtuffyandruffy-11-1.jpg

What do you think? Should I modify Ruffy's hair more or is it fine the way it is?
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 01:06 am
@JGoldman10,
I think it looks fine the way it is. Please continue ...
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 10:24 pm
@wmwcjr,
I am glad you like it. I took the time to clean up this pic:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/MAvericker/newtuffyandruffysmiling-1-11.jpg

This is FAR better than the other one, and this one better represents their hairstyles. The other pic was just a brief general overview of what they look like. I botched the other one up somewhat.

What do you think of THIS pic? What do you think of their hair?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
How willing are you to hear some constructive suggestions?

I'm asking first in case you don't want to hear anything other than praise for them.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, I am asking for wmwcjr's opinion.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm asking if you'd like me to offer some of my own.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes. Please do.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
The first thing I would ask is if these two are supposed to be identical twins.

If not, then you might want to make some cosmetic changes to them such as inverting the triangle-shaped nose on one of them or giving one of them a long-sleeved shirt and maybe change up the whiskers on one so they don't look so much like mirror images of each other. Maybe give one of them a scar on the cheek or forearm or have one of them missing a tooth.

If they are indeed identical twins, you might consider still giving one of them a little bit of a difference other than just their hairstyles.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
They are brothers. They are supposed to look alike. The T-shirts and garrison belts are their trademarks.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
Okay. Good luck with the cartoons. You have a good start. I look forward to hearing that you've finished it.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
How would you fix the brother on the right's hair? I gave them a different color scheme to make them easier to tell apart.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 01:22 am
To everyone else - how would you fix or improve upon Ruffy's hair? Please help.
saab

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 01:47 am
@JGoldman10,
To me they look like copycats, without any special caracter trade. Not even a new hairdo will change it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 02:16 am
well, hallelujah. It only took, what, five years of this before we actually see some preliminary character sketches.

I liked the first ones better--the second ones' heads looked too human, not enough cat in them, especially the teeth--cats have fangs, try a bit of fangishness on them, particularly the canine teeth--yes I know they're felines not canines, but that's what the teeth are called, the third tooth over from the center on each side. The ones that humans have that have points on them.

And they're a bit wimpy for street fighters--any other gang would kick their asses--try putting some muscle on them.

They really do look identical, just different colored jerseys. Do think of something other than just upswept fur versus downswept fur to differentiate them.

Are they all going to be pasty white? Have you tried fur patterns on them?

Still, it's a pretty good first effort. Let's not let it be your only effort. POST MORE DRAWINGS. THE MORE YOU DRAW THE MORE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE GOING TO TAKE ON LIFE.

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:04 am
@MontereyJack,
Don't PREJUDGE and DON'T make ASININE ASSUMPTIONS. Just because you don't see it online DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T HAVE ANY DRAWINGS FOR IT.

I have a BUNCH OF DRAWINGS I made that I didn't showcase online. I had MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT DOING SO.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:07 am
@MontereyJack,
They are WHITE CATS with TWO DIFFERENT SETS OF COLORED EYES.

WHITE CATS EXIST - THAT IS HOW I ENVISIONED THEM.

I HAVE A BUNCH OF CHARACTERS.

THESE TWO ARE TWO OF MY MAIN CHARACTERS. I was "stuck" on hair design- that is why I started this thread.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:10 am
Wmwcjr said what I did to the hair is an improvement.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:55 am
Angry cat with rough hair

http://spicyewa.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/arg_katt.jpg

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 02:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
I DIDN'T ASK ALL THAT.

This thread is ABOUT DESIGNING AND DEFINING A CHARACTER'S HAIR.

LEARN HOW TO READ.