Explaining Why I Left A2K for Awhile

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:07 pm
Arella, you're being too soft.

You do want to create a stir and take them to court if they don't respond. Otherwise all the people that have been termed are not helped.

Just wishing it will go away is just for your own sake. What about people that this has happened to in the past, or will happen to in the future?

I was serious when I said "Louisiana, even worse" It's the original Good 'Ol Boys state.

I'm sure it says right in your employee handbook that this sort of activity cannot go on, and that your employer has a responsibility. If they aren't "doing anything" they are in the wrong.

I'm sure your attorney will have good advice for you tomorrow. If you choose to bring a lawsuit, the company will have to pay the damages, and fees to your attorney, won't they?

Be careful with assuming others will stand with you. People have a funny way of backing off when they have to step up. If they are all so willing to say something, why hasn't someone done so before?

That's ok though. You can be the one to stand up.

JPB

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:09 pm
Here's another one specific to Louisiana. It looks like they pattern the federal statute.

http://blog.laborlawtalk.com/2010/09/01/louisiana-hostile-work-environment/

Quote:
Louisiana Hostile Work Environment

Posted by Tamara

Several employees in Louisiana have asked, “Exactly what is the legal definition of hostile work environment?”

Confusion about this term is understandable, because it is often misused. Many workers assume that if their employer or coworkers behave badly they are creating a hostile work environment.

This is not necessarily true. The legal definition of hostile work environment requires that two conditions be met:

· The employee is targeted with negative behavior because of his or her race, color, sex, age (40-70), disability, national origin, religion or pregnancy.

· The employer is aware of this negative behavior, but takes no action to stop the behavior or prevent further occurrences.

When these two conditions exist, then the employer is creating a hostile work environment for employees in that protected group.

To further illustrate, consider two situations:

1. Jane’s employer micromanages and regularly screams, throws papers and debases workers of every race, sex and age.

2. An executive chef at a hotel regularly refers to Hispanic employees as “dumb Mexican” and “wetbacks.”

Scenario #1 doesn’t fit the legal definition of hostile work environment, but scenario #2 does.

What’s the difference? In #1, Jane’s boss is certainly a jerk, and possibly not great at manager, but he rants and raves at everyone–not one specific group. In #2, the chef targets a particular group because of their national origin. Obviously the hotel hasn’t taken steps to stop the behavior, so this scenario constitutes a hostile work environment?

What options does an employee have if they think they are the specific target of negative behavior? First, talk to the company’s Human Resources professionals. If a hostile work environment exists, the EEOC (Equal Employee Opportunity Commission) takes over. EEOC enforces the federal anti-discrimination laws and will investigate the matter.

In fact, scenario #2 was a recent lawsuit in Lisle, Illinois. The court agreed with EEOC’s position, that the Hispanic employees were indeed being exposed to a hostile work environment. The employer was mandated by the court to pay over $1 million for allowing the hostile work environment to persist.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:13 pm
Class action suit still sounds interesting to me, but I've never been involved in anything like that (or any suits for that matter) so I dunno.

I have had to give depositions in a will contest (don't get me going on that) and I was completely miserable about having to do that, so I get what Rockhead is saying there.
JPB

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I get what Rockhead is saying there.

Yep, me too. No one is obligated to stay in a job that makes them miserable. No employer is obligated to make their employees feel valued. There are lines in the sand that can't be crossed. If the company treats the staff like **** then they'll have a morale and turnover problem. If they don't care about that then they don't value the employee and think of them as an easily replaceable commodity. It's not a healthy situation for Arella to stay in but there may be little legal recourse.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:23 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I'm sure it says right in your employee handbook that this sort of activity cannot go on, and that your employer has a responsibility. If they aren't "doing anything" they are in the wrong.

This is a good point.

Arella, do you have an employee handbook?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:30 pm
@JPB,
There is also that matter that I've found true for myself in the past but may be just a truism - it is easier to find a new job if you already have a job.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:44 pm
@JPB,
Unless I've missed something, it seems this Beverly has only targeted women.

If that's true, then there you go.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:48 pm
@chai2,
Good catch.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:14 pm
@chai2,
I am not going to give up. What is happening is wrong on so many levels and you are right no one is going to be helped if I don't do something. It will happen to anyone else they let it happen to and if I don't stand up I am guilty of it myself.

I cannot accept that someone can harass anyone at work for any reason. It is flat out wrong. Knowing it is going on and refusing to try to fix it is wrong. I trusted my Plant Manager. I believed him and got nothing but being close to being fired, being a nervous wreck and paralyzed by fear when working because I am waiting for the next shoe to fall.

A class action suit brings validity to claims. I think the reason the others didn't do anything is because they are afraid of her. The Plant Manager is afraid of her so how can I expect a worker like me to stand up and sue? Perhaps they will go through with helping because they won't be alone.

One way or another this is going to stop (only legally). I'm not going postal.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:17 pm
@chai2,
Nah, she's done it to men too. I just got off the phone with my previous boss. He quit because of Beverly. He told me to write a letter (email) to the head of HR and lay it all out and be firm. He even told me to tell her I doubt she'll do anything because when I said I wanted to pray about making a complaint last time she laughed at me.

I am sending the letter to him and he is going to read it over. You guys are helping a lot. Sometimes just knowing I really am not crazy helps.

Chai, the young man before me that fired nearly had a nervous breakdown.
Mame

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:22 pm
It seems that Scenario 1 will only work for you if it's only women she's been hostile to, so my question is: Is there a harassment policy in your company or state? I find it inconceivable that any company would be allowed to treat others like this (and by company I also mean its employees). We have 'hate' policies in many companies (governments included) here which are quite clear about what won't be tolerated (verbal abuse, swearing, certain behaviours, etc). Maybe you could look into that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:23 pm
@JPB,
As JPB has stated, all personnel manuals cover harassment on the job.

Report it to that manager's supervisor. If they don't do anything, sue.

Take it to a labor attorney; they'll be more than happy to "help."

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am looking for my manual but I think it is in my office. I am sending that letter to the head of HR in the morning. Charles, my previous boss told me, Rusty you are going to get fired so accept that. I am accepting it. I am also accepting I'm not backing down. I won't stand by and let this happen again. I thought Charles retired due to health reasons but it was because of Beverly. He was the best boss I have ever worked for. He was fair, honest, firm, just what a good supervisor is. So now I am angry she is also responsible for him being gone.

I doubt Philippe, the owner would ever let it go to court. He'd do something about it before that happened. He hates turmoil and it's all about money with him. Bottom line is I want those women out of that plant so everyone can breathe and work in peace.

I won't be working there but I can feel good knowing they aren't being held hostage anymore.

Now seriously how bloody insane does that sound? Two women holding an entire plant hostage with fear of retribution. It is crazy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:56 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
They're replying under federal law.
Talk to your local attorney tomorrow. He/she can advise you about applicable LA law.
Yes; that is a very important point.

David
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 05:54 pm
@Arella Mae,
If you are serious about hiring an attorney and filing a law suit, you shouldn't send anything to HR without it first being cleared by your attorney.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
If you are serious about hiring an attorney and filing a law suit,
you shouldn't send anything to HR without it first being cleared by your attorney.
That 's RIGHT. Do nothing before conferring with your attorney.

David
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
But if I don't try to go to upper management first that would be wrong? I'm sure that's not the right word. I'll take the letter with me to the attorney and I will get his advice. I'm glad you brought that up.

I was sitting listening to some of the recordings. I guess I still think this can't really be happening. It's too insane.

I love my job. In one way it is the best place I have ever worked but in another it is total hell. I'm 55 years old! This drama crap is getting old.
chai2

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah, that bears repeating for a third time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

But if I don't try to go to upper management first that would be wrong? I'm sure that's not the right word. I'll take the letter with me to the attorney and I will get his advice. I'm glad you brought that up.

I was sitting listening to some of the recordings. I guess I still think this can't really be happening. It's too insane.

I love my job. In one way it is the best place I have ever worked but in another it is total hell. I'm 55 years old! This drama crap is getting old.
/quote]

You know, you're going to have to stop saying it's insane, it's crazy, etc.

It's the way it is.

Is it wrong?
Is it wrong that your employer has apparantly let this go on so long?

You don't think if you give them something in writing they're not going to straightaway get THEIR legal people involved? Don't be naive.

This isn't a coffee klatch, it's business.

I think it's wrong to shoot yourself in the foot.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
@chai2,
Chai I am having to lean on others to understand any of this. Don't worry, I will be tough enough to get through this. I'm one of those people that has a really thick head when it comes to how I view others.

FACT:

These people don't care about me but I care about them. I have to stop caring about the people there and focus on the principle.

You are one tough woman. I wish I were more like you in that regard.