AT&T husband /abusive wife commercial

cwh1947

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:09 am
Does anyone know if the actor that plays the husband is Anthony Clark from the sitcom, Yes Dear?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 10,580 • Replies: 128

View best answer, chosen by cwh1947
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:38 am
Is this the one where the wife is taking care of plants and he peeks thru the door to talk to her?

It's the WORST commercial on the air and I don't know why there aren't more complaints about it.

A real ball buster.
raprap

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:54 am
@PUNKEY,
I agree. This commercial is offensive.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:55 am
It doesn't even make logical sense.

Who the hell was the focus group who liked this commercial/???

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:17 am
Any attention at all is an ad agencies thrust - whether or not it's offensive - they've achieved their goal to call attention and put their product or ad in people's consciousness. The fact that we refer to their ad asd well as the product name is their mark of job well done. How pissed off it makes people, or how men as well as women dislike it, matters not at all ...to them.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:42 am
@Ragman,
given that this is at least the second thread that's mentioned it - the ad agency has done its job to some degree
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:45 am
The first time I saw this commercial I wondered why the guy was discussing a phone plan with his mother.

Joe(I thought the same thing all the rest of the times I've seen it.)Nation
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:41 pm

I woud not blame John Clark for it.
0 Replies

Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:27 pm
@cwh1947,
Apparently it's not comedian Anthony Clark. It's nowhere listed in his bio on IMDB.com.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

given that this is at least the second thread that's mentioned it - the ad agency has done its job to some degree

I guess so, though it makes me much LESS likely to buy their product; so is that really a good thing?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cwh1947

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:07 pm
@PUNKEY,
yep, that's the one! Her character is certainly one that would make you reevaluate your life choice for a mate. Ouch! If the actor is who I think it is, he has not aged well or the filming of this really took a toll on him. :-)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:22 pm
@cwh1947,
Hey, cwh, welcome to a2k.

I don't presently watch tv but have followed advertising for a long time. Name recognition used to beat a lot of other advertising modes but I don't know if it does now. But I'm not everyone else, and to this day I'd never purchase Anacin tablets because of a long ago commercial which acted like a brain worm.

I have tended to like clever commercials. Re products themselves, I'll evaluate them on my own, but a smart commercial might get me to look at or look up a product.
cwh1947

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, it seems to be a good place to find out those little things in life that just bug the heck out of you. I think Anacin had another one that had a daughter cooking and yelling at her mom. Mom said, "don't you think it needs a little more salt?" "Mother please!!! I'd rather do it myself" I agree, other than superbowl ads I don't pay too much attention. I do like the e trade babies.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:39 pm
@cwh1947,
A friend's husband used to produce some superbowl ads - fairly long ago, but I remember a lot of his were good. Now sans tv, I catch the ads online (whatta dork I am) and the superbowl on one of the sports online sites.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:54 pm
@raprap,
What's so offensive about this ad? I don't think it's that funny, but I don't think it's offensive.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:17 am
@maxdancona,
I believe people are offended by the sneering tone the woman takes towad the man.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What's so offensive about this ad? I don't think it's that funny, but I don't think it's offensive.
The wife mutters, with contempt for husband,
that she shoud have married John Clark
[because of Hubby's offense of failing to consult her qua
the expense of unlimited telephone minutes].

It seems to me that Hubby shoud invite her to use
some of those minutes to call Mr. Clark to see whether he remains available.

David
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 07:00 am
@maxdancona,
I'd imagine it's offensive to some women in the same way the predictably formulaic "idiot husband" commercials of the last 15 years or so might be offensive to some men.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 07:17 am
@thack45,
It's a character study. I am not saying it is good, but it isn't offensive.

Old people sitting side by side in outdoor bathtubs is offensive.
thack45

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 07:32 am
@maxdancona,
It's all pandering to idiots...

I suppose now I'm being offensive.