AT&T husband /abusive wife commercial

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 12:26 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Okay. You're back on ignore.

That's probably a wise choice, GG. You won't be missing a thing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 12:56 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you don't deal with people well enough to run a restaurant.

best you stay "retired"...
He says to the guy who has been very successful managing restaurants...you best stick with working on cars...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:30 am
Anyone who is offended by his commercial because the woman is portrayed as a stereotypical bitch needs to go outside more and toughen up their skin.

I can see being disturbed or depressed by this commercial; even angered, but offended? More evidence that people seem to be searching for reasons to feel offended.

As a film short I think the commercial is brilliant and the acting marvelous.

As a marketing vehicle I think it fails.

While I instantly realized which commerical could be titled husband/abusive wife, unless AT&T was referenced I'm fairly certain I would not have remembered the name of the company it was representing.

Connecting something powerful that is generating buzz to your brand can be effective marketing even if the commercial doesn't generate a superficially positive response, but if the consumer doesn't remember which brand to connect to the commercial, there's a big problem.

This is quite common with commercials that receive high marks from consumers. Usually they're very funny, quite dramatic or visually stunning, but they often eschew the tasteless tricks that drum a brand into the viewer's memory: jingles, excessive name repitition, and garrish characters.

I hate the woman and my stomach hurts for the guy but I love the commercial. I guess the brand connection may have now stuck for me, but it's a high risk tactic to hope that process is accomplished outside the experience of the commercial; through particpating in the buzz about it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Anyone who is offended by his commercial because the woman is portrayed as a stereotypical bitch needs to go outside more and toughen up their skin.

I can see being disturbed or depressed by this commercial; even angered, but offended? More evidence that people seem to be searching for reasons to feel offended.

As a film short I think the commercial is brilliant and the acting marvelous.

As a marketing vehicle I think it fails.

The question is this: Why does AT&T think that a commercial centered around a relationship where the wife is clearly in the habit of abusing her husband will work to sell their product?? I seriously doubt that they want to be associated with or think it would be helpful to their bottom line to make a commercial centered around a rape joke, so why do they want to do this, which is essentially the same thing ?

Do you REALLY think that AT&T, which is #12 on the Fortune 500, is as as stupid as you allege?? That they would make fun of the abuse of men without the firm expectation of it working, based upon their understanding of the American people??
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Along the same theme

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:29 am
The " I should have married John Clark" commercial is getting tons of playtime and has been running since August. There is Zero chance of this happening if AT&T was not getting what they want out of the abuse of men humor. The question that needs to be pondered is "why does this work?"

EDIT

Quote:
Credits & Description:
Advertising Agency: BBDO, New York, USA
Chief Creative Officer: David Lubars
Executive Creative Directors: Greg Hahn, Ralph Watson
Copywriter: Matt Mulvey
Art Director: Lawrence Melilli
Director: Randy Krallman
Director of Photography: Darko Suvak
Producer: Julie Andaraise
Production House: Smuggler
Editing House: PS 260
Editor: Rob Ryang
Mixers: Steve Rosen, Michael Marinelli / Sonic Union
Colorist: Tim Masick / CO3
Finishing: Spontaneous

The TV Commercial titled Mistake was done by BBDO New York advertising agency for product: AT&T (brand: AT&T) in United States. It was released in the Aug 2011.

http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/tv-commercials/att-mistake-14660455/

I notice this was made by guys.....this tells me that guys know what guys are supposed to do, which is suck up to abusing women. The joke here is that one meek looking man gets away with not doing it.
RileyRampant

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:29 am
@hawkeye10,
the fact that we have talked about the scenario at length shows that some lines were crossed.

some in here maybe don't see it that way. but finding it in any way -funny- seems a bit off, unless sadism or straight-up schadenfreude counts.

i agree completely w/ hawkeye's analysis, and wish him well w/ the restaurant. Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:44 am
Surprise! Diaper Dad Is a Hapless Moron in AT&T's New Ad Nicely done, but oh so familiar

By David Gianatasio

Quote:
BBDO phones in this doofus-dad spot to deliver the message that "Only AT&T's network lets your iPhone talk and surf at the same time." It's well executed and appealingly cast, with the actor playing the nerdy young father working hard at both changing baby (he fails, of course) and engaging in "guy talk" with his buddy (presumably kidless, oddly jivey-sounding) about a football game that diaper dude hasn't seen. Mom delivers a textbook "my-husband's-an-idiot" stare at the end. The way-too-familiar setup and self-consciously goofy dialogue ("Dog, what's up?" "You know me, I'm just kickin' it") make this feel like a parody of familiar ad tropes. If so, a more over-the-top approach would have helped. Have the baby give investment advice or dance on roller skates—or better yet, explode, crash through a window and cause a 20-car pileup. Then we'll know for sure where you're coming from.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/surprise-diaper-dad-hapless-moron-atts-new-ad-134702

Note: this is not quite the boiler plate "men are hapless morons" ad with the wife at the end clearly taking on bitch qualities.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Note: this is not quite the boiler plate "men are hapless morons" ad with the wife at the end clearly taking on bitch qualities.
and with the way he gets off the phone as soon as she walks in.....he has been trained...he knows his place under her roof.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 04:16 am
@RileyRampant,
Quote:
i agree completely w/ hawkeye's analysis, and wish him well w/ the restaurant.

Thanks...and welcome to A2K, I like your thoughts so far. We might finally have another guy around here who is not either too weak or too stupid to speak up about how men are treated in America today. We are starting to develop a small troop of guys who demand that our voices be heard.....I look forward to seeing you on some of the other threads.

Are you a guy? Compassionate female?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Candor moves me to say
that I have no objection to how I'm treated.
I never did.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 08:26 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The " I should have married John Clark" commercial is getting tons of playtime and has been running since August. There is Zero chance of this happening if AT&T was not getting what they want out of the abuse of men humor. The question that needs to be pondered is "why does this work?"
Let 's back up, a minute.
At least ostensibly, at the end Hubby prevails; i.e., the ad shows
Wifey as being disproven in her beliefs, when Hubby tells her
that the unlimited minutes were free. Thay show her being perplexed. Embarrassed? No.

Incidentally, tho the unlimited minutes were free,
Wifey might be correct in that the whole fone plan
might have been unreasonably expensive,
e.g. if the free unlimited minutes came with a total plan for $1,OOO a month.

David
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 09:25 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
i agree completely w/ hawkeye's analysis, and wish him well w/ the restaurant.

Thanks...and welcome to A2K, I like your thoughts so far. We might finally have another guy around here who is not either too weak or too stupid to speak up about how men are treated in America today. We are starting to develop a small troop of guys who demand that our voices be heard.....I look forward to seeing you on some of the other threads.

Are you a guy? Compassionate female?

Translation: "Please be my friend!"
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 09:49 am
@Ticomaya,
<snort>
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:07 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Translation: "Please be my friend!"

You think I carry myself on A2K as a guy who is looking for friends??!! I seriously doubt that you are ignorant enough to think that...you are attemting to be the class clown, and are failing at it.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, I honestly don't think you have friends on this forum, or in real life. Most sociopaths don't. Nevertheless, your plea for Riley to be the third person in your "troop" is rather pathetic.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

No, I honestly don't think you have friends on this forum, or in real life. Most sociopaths don't. Nevertheless, your plea for Riley to be the third person in your "troop" is rather pathetic.
Throwing turds does not impress me....come up with an argument that beats one of my arguments and then you will have my attention.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye,
If its not too much to ask
will u please keep your rhetoric clean enuf to exclude
excrementitious references for all of us (who did not offend u) to see ?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:27 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

When I turned 21 the Boom Boom Room in Laguna was the place to go, they closed shortly after that. Then I started going to a place called Woody’s in Laguna, use to be the Little Shrimp where Rock Hudson use to hang out back in the day.

I remember a story this older gentleman told me, He had a roommate when he was 20 years old and someone knocked on the door, it was his roommates date, he opened the door to find Rick Hudson standing there.
And they both died of AIDS and lived happily ever after... The end..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 08:44 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The woman in the commercial is telling her husband that her own mother said she should have married another guy (because he's a loser). How abusive can you get?
I imagine him looking at the dirt her hand are covered with and thinking how much a flower bed resembles a grave...

I don't like it either, and I find the treatment of the husband offensive even though these folks are not real... In real life one cannot judge the quality of relationships people build out of the basic form of marriage... Everyone cuts their own deal in life... It is like living with a fat woman as many men do... Why does a chubby woman get married and then transform herself into a prize pig??? My presumption is that people who feel undervalued undervalue themselves rather than fighting back and demanding the respect most people should get as a precondition of having a relationship...

Speaking from my own experience, it is difficult to imagine what a woman hears when a man who hates women, who thinks them vicious, dishonorable, or inferior -tells his wife that he loves her... I have an idea that many men who pity the poor slob in the commercial save some pity for themselves, since that is about the constant state many of us menchkins live in, and not to say without good reason; but only with the conclusion that selfpity is a cause for depression rather than a spur to action... I have had my times of self pity... Until I got angry about the situation that depressed me I never got off my ass and did something about it... A form of relationship is just a form... The relationship is the main part of any form, and if that sucks, the form suck...
0 Replies