AT&T husband /abusive wife commercial

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:34 pm
@jcboy,
Boom Boom Room
Woody's

Not much subtlety in the names of these clubs is there.
RileyRampant

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:01 pm
@thack45,
its interesting that this thread exists.

i also found the commercial strikingly hostile. and a bit novel, in that the woman was being crass. its usually the other way the last few decades.

have noticed that adverts are increasingly using subversive interactions to hawk their sundries.

there is an adam curtis doc about the first great PR man in the US, Edward Bernays, who was the nephew of S. Freund - his first great accomplishment - getting women smoking by making the habit a demonstration of chicness and freedom.

so this commerical continues that grand tradition of social nastiness in the way of making a buck.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:13 pm
@RileyRampant,
I didn't know that.

Welcome to a2k, RileyRampant - this is an interesting site that can get more so, and sometimes less so, among the regulars who keep in touch with the site fairly often. The backlog of topics is huge. There's quite a bit of interest in media and advertising among posters here.
RileyRampant

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
thanks. already had a few laughs. appreciate the welcome. Wink
0 Replies

RileyRampant

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:50 pm
@jcboy,
there's still a boom boom room in sf on filmore, right acrost from the filmore.

i think j.l.hooker had a booth there, or so they say.
jcboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:55 pm
@RileyRampant,
Hmmm interesting. I had my own both there once or twice. Do I know you?
RileyRampant

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:58 pm
@jcboy,
probably not. just popped in there a few times to listen to some bloose. had a apt on sutter, about 5 blocks away. just moved from there recently.

but this commercial really did, i think, strike new subversive ground. it broke some taboo concerning civil behavior in a marriage. or maybe i'm overreading it. but there is this thread, so maybe not. Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:00 pm
Abusing men is in these days...I dont even watch TV for the most part, but the rest of the family does and I have noticed this commercial on a great many times. The fact that AT&T market research indicates that this commercial will help sell their product speaks volumes about where American is right now...abuse a woman and get put in jail, but abuse a man and you get a medal.
MMarciano

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:08 pm
@RileyRampant,
Clase de una manera disimulada de conseguir su atención ¿no crees? Tenga cuidado de que te equivocas con el muchacho!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:43 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

The woman in the commercial is telling her husband that her own mother said she should have married another guy (because he's a loser). How abusive can you get?

But it was a joke. Why are you guys taking it soo seriously? It may be a stupid commercial but saying its offensive is a little much, dont ya think?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:54 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
But it was a joke. Why are you guys taking it soo seriously?
The "Joke" part of it was that for a change a guy had a snappy comeback to his wife's abuse...the reason this commercial works is because so many people know bitches like her, in fact maybe they are married to one, and most guys just suck it up and take it. AT&T being the reason that this guy was able to confront his wife makes AT&T look good, like it is smart to sign up with them. This was not an attempt at a joke, this was an attempt to mine the anti-male zeitgeist for profit.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh please. Rolling Eyes

Its a freaking 30 second commercial. How the heck do you read that much into it in 30 secs?

I see it as a joke. Her 'whoops' face at the end was hilarious.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:05 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
I see it as a joke. Her 'whoops' face at the end was hilarious.

That was an "OMG, this mother ****** is back talking me, and he might actually be right!" face.....
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hahaha!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I soo hope you're kidding! Laughing Either way, it made me Laugh Out Loud!! Haha!

Thanks for that. Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:17 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Hahaha!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I soo hope you're kidding! Laughing Either way, it made me Laugh Out Loud!! Haha!

Thanks for that. Wink
The shock part, which the viewer is supposed to be in on, that the guy back talking and being right is so unusual. The usual is the the guy does what he is told by his woman and on those rare occasions when he tries to stand up for himself the woman easily puts him in his place.

This commercial is the equivalent of a 1957 commercial where a nigger dares to go toe to toe with a white guy, and has him. The power imbalance IS foundation that the commercial is built upon.
GracieGirl

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Okay. You're back on ignore.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:21 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Okay. You're back on ignore.

And you are back to evading what you dont want to know, and it is critical that you keep your mind closed if you are to continue to spend your days devoted to entertainment. Realty is such a downer.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:21 pm
@GracieGirl,
I bet he doesn't talk to his kid that way.

god, I hope he doesn't talk to his kid that way...

sheesh.

(he doesn't have a job)
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I bet he doesn't talk to his kid that way.

god, I hope he doesn't talk to his kid that way...

sheesh.
You will remember that I am the same guy who believes that teens should have their sexual freedom by the age of 14, I dont believe in coddling, or lying to kids. I am not talking to Gracie any different than I would have been talking to my kids at that age had if I had screwed up so badly that that they had turned out as frivolous and disrespectful of their betters as Gracie appears to be.

Quote:
(he doesn't have a job)
I hope to open a restaurant, if I dont do that then I will stay retired. I suppose that was supposed to be a slam but it does not bother me a bit.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
you don't deal with people well enough to run a restaurant.

best you stay "retired"...