Why do many cartoonists find it "necessary" to give cartoon characters love interests?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

NO ONE asked you, TROLL, what you thought or asked you to respond. I was illustrating a point.

It is OBVIOUS that a lot of the old Hollywood cartoons were trying to use ADULT HUMOR in what are supposed to be kids'/all-age cartoons.

There ought to be boundaries as to how far you can go with putting adult humor in cartoons.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
You're not fit to have a family.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:06 pm
@Ragman,
SECULAR people, such as yourself, do not see anything wrong with that. Jesus and His Disciples didn't that - they didn't flirt or have girlfriends. People in the Body Of Christ are not supposed to do that either.
jcboy

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
STANDARDS IN MY FAMILY.

You have standards in your family? who would have thought?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:10 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You are a TROLL. BUG OFF.

If my kids want to know something they should come and ask me and my wife.

Since '95, kids have been getting whatever info they can off the Internet - that is why they are more knowledgeable now than a lot of kids from previous generations.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
The internet, now there's something you have to keep an eye on where kids are concerned, not harmless cartoons.
What kids?, what wife? you dreaming again weirdo.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:13 pm
There is enough perversion in TV cartoons and in comics - I am not going to be another person to come along to further propagate that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:16 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I don't have a wife or kids. PARENTS STILL NEED TO MONITOR WHAT THEIR KIDS WATCH ON TV.

They need to watch what shows their kids watch.

Kids do not need to look at something glorifying witchcraft or sexual immorality or amoral or inappropriate behavior concerning members of the opposite sex..

Kids are always learning something from TV - whether it is positive or negative.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
If my kids want to know something they should come and ask me and my wife.

Wife? Children?

You keep telling us you are a virgin saving yourself and that you are not now and never have been married.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I am TAKING THE TIME TO GET THEM DEVELOPED-

Taking the time? It's been at least a dozen years since you started pedaling your silliness to forum readers everywhere. You aren't ever going to actually created anything yourself. The stuff you have shown is all ripped off from others, none of it is yours.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:25 pm
@Sturgis,
I haven't ripped off of anyone - my stuff is copyrighted.

I have put off focusing on my comics developed and dealing with what I need to deal with to help get it developed. I am FOCUSING ON THAT NOW.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:26 pm
@Sturgis,
I don't have a wife and kids.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:09 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You think I am weird - is something WRONG with being weird? Is there a CRIME against it?
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Re: izzythepush (Post 4811553)
No woman with any sense wants to be around a guy who stinks.

But he's a skunk. That's what skunks do ... Confused

So, here's another song ... Mr. Green

Loudon Wainwright III -- "Dead Skunk (in the Middle of the Road)"

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:29 pm
@wmwcjr,
Don't you think something is wrong with having a character that is a lecher and presenting that to kids?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:36 pm
Secular cartoon people don't see anything wrong with giving cartoon characters love interests - they think it cute.

Just because something looks or seems cute does not make it right.

If they are going to be couples then THEY SHOULD BE MARRIED.

Cartoons like the Smurfs were evil- they made using witchcraft look harmless and often used it to solve their problems - that is EVIL.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
you mean as opposed to street gang thugs...?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:08 pm
@Rockhead,
My heroes are NOT THUGS. They fight evil and crime.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:47 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Re: wmwcjr (Post 4812192)
Don't you think something is wrong with having a character that is a lecher and presenting that to kids?

On the one hand, speaking as a father both of whose children are grown and are devout members of the church, yes, parents should be careful about messages presented to kids by the popular culture; but I also think it's possible to read too much into some cartoons.

IMHO Pepe Le Pew doesn't quite fit the profile of a letcher. He isn't going from skunk to skunk. He's a character who thinks he's found his true love. Just because he's physically attracted to the cat with the stripe of white paint down her back, he thinks he's just experienced "love at first sight"; but he doesn't even know her well enough to realize that she's not even a skunk. In fact, he doesn't seem to be very smart. So, you could say this cartoon has a positive message; but it's no big deal, anyway.

I do appreciate your concern about the cat character being harassed. But I watched Pepe Le Pew cartoons frequently when I was a young boy, yet I never had a disrespectful attitude towards girls and young women. I felt a lot of sympathy for girls who weren't physically attractive. I hated seeing a fat girl in elementary school being teased mercilessly. Even today I wonder what happened to her, because she was so miserable when we attended the same school. I've actually had a lot of sympathy for girls and young women who've experienced sexual harassment or worse. Don't mean to sound self-righteous; but when I was a college student, I once heard a guy who claimed to be a caring person brag in his dorm room to a bunch of other guys about the time he tricked a young woman into having sex with him by saying that he loved her when he really didn't. I called him a jerk to his face and stormed out of his room in disgust.

When I was a kid watching those cartoons, I never thought I was receiving a message about how I should treat girls or that it was okay to harass them. To me the situation of Pepe's delusion was absurd and nothing more than that.

It's possible to read too much into a silly cartoon. What about the Elmer Fudd character? Does anyone misconstrue the Bugs Bunny cartoons that feature the wascally wabbit's encounters with the mighty Elmer to be an indictment of hunting? Do these cartoons portrays hunters as buffoons? Do any hunters take offense at them?

Well, I can't think of anything else to say on this issue. So ...

http://cdn1.hark.com/images/000/007/428/7428/original.0

Never let it be said that A2K is bereft of deep intellectual discussions. Wink
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:58 am
@wmwcjr,
I think this was a bit ridiculous, now that I think about it - there are for more risque characters besides Pepe.
0 Replies