Why do many cartoonists find it "necessary" to give cartoon characters love interests?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
Scenario dear JG, scenario....

All little girls want to get married right?

All "good films" have a happy ending right?

And, even action films have a women somewhere in it, usually where a character ends up falling for her...

The ending can still be that they went off into the sunset and got married.

Otherwise you are aiming your cartoons only at young boys?

Thought.. but doesn't say anything.....
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:11 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I have tough female characters but they aren't anyone's gfs.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Give it a happy ending, where a man and a woman "character" fall in love at the end. And, walk towards a church:)
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:19 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
That goes against what the Bible says. How did the man know that woman is the one for him? They shouldn't be looking for love interests unless they are looking to get married.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 02:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
I guess it depends on how old your characters are...

Everyone looks for marriage at some point in their life, they just don't realise who their partner is until they meet them....then it kind of hits them in the face, he's the one, she's the one.

That's not against the Bible...Like you say, "he will show me who my wife is" and I will then persue her.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 03:09 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Not me- I am still not ready for marriage. I haven't been interested in it for a long time.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 04:44 am
@JGoldman10,
Well I was your age when I first got married...

I wanted to find the person I would spend the rest of my life with, dang did that wrong:) My fiancee on the other accord, is who I should have met, we both married at the same place, I was previously engaged to someone he worked for, we lived 4 streets away whilst I was married, we are the same age, etc, etc, etc.

My reason for lateness was business was my baby, and my life and I did believe in marriage being forever, think I've got it right this time, lessons.

What is your reason?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 12:42 pm
I found this article on Pepe Le Pew:

http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/Pepe_Le_Pew

Pepé has never become truly famous, as Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck have. Instead, he has attracted some controversy over the years. The idea of a skunk intent on wooing a lady or getting a kiss is not very popular with the adult generation of today, as it might teach kids lessons that they should not learn. In other words, chasing someone whom you find attractive, particularly women at times, is not acceptable. He could be seen as sexist as he treats the female cat as a sex object in most of the cartoons, but simply wants a girlfriend. Therefore, it gives the wrong impression that it's okay to treat someone like that when you want a relationship; you wanted a boyfriend/girlfriend but you see him/her more as a sexual desire to you than a simple romantic relationship, as well as giving children the wrong idea that men are sexual predators or rapists while women are seen as victims and sex objects. In one cartoon, For Scentimental Reasons, a female cat who was mistaken for a skunk becomes a sex predator herself and Pepe becomes the victim, thus reversing the roles. this illustrates that women can be predators and men as the victims and sex objects. A rarity is that women can also rape men but if men call for help, society will ridicule them as it is not regarded as masculine. However, it is strange how the murder attempts of Wile E. Coyote have never truly become as controversial as Pepe has.
Pepé's sexuality has also been put into question for some fans. At first he was heterosexual, but in his debut episode and his cameo in "Dog Pounded" portrays him falling for other men as well, indicating that he may either be bisexual (or may be suspected as a homosexual) or is somewhat a lonely character who wants to be loved.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:14 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Well I was your age when I first got married...
My reason for lateness was business was my baby, and my life and I did believe in marriage being forever, think I've got it right this time, lessons.

What is your reason?

Do you really need to ask?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:25 pm
@izzythepush,
OFF-topic.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
That's when your threads become more entertaining.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I mentioned Pepe Le Pew and that article explains why that character is a bad role model for children.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
No it doesn't, it explains why he's slightly fallen out of favour today. You interpret things to fit your own preconceptions. Try being a bit more objective, you don't always have to win the argument.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:38 pm
@izzythepush,
It is teaching kids that sexual harassment is acceptable.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
If it was, Pepe would shag the cat and be admired by his male companions. That never happens, perhaps, as your article states, they're just demonstrating that such actions make you a sad and lonely individual. He doesn't just fail in love, he has no friends. At least Daffy sometimes hangs out with Bugs and Porky, and Porky also spends time with Sylvester.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, in the cartoons in which Bugs and Daffy aren't trying to fight or upstage each other. In the movie, Looney Tunes: Back in Action Bugs and Daffy were friends, but Daffy finally got to upstage Bugs. What does this have to do with the topic?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
You're trying to say Pepe the Pew is a bad role model, but in fact he's a warning of the consequences of such actions.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:55 pm
@izzythepush,
He is teaching kids lessons they don't need to learn, like the article says above.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
He's teaching what will happen if they behave like that.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 02:01 pm
@izzythepush,
It is still inappropriate for children.