Waiting to hear from the vet.

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:22 pm
@firefly,
Firefly his blood sugar level was very high and this is with me giving him insulin injections but for roughly the last day before taking him to the vet.

He had gotten sick, throwing up and stopped eating, so with him not eating I was somewhat afraid to keep giving him insulin shots in fear of driving his blood sugar level too low.

He missed just two of his schedule injections however even with him not eating his blood level was in the 400 plus range when first tested at the vet.

To prevented such a misjudgment in the future the vet is going to try to teach me how to get blood samples from his ears tomorrow to run in my own blood glucose meter.

Given that he had all his claws this should be interesting for both of us.
Laughing

To be fair to him he have never used those claws on me no matter what I had done to him in the past.

I also had requested to have medication on hand to settle him stomach in as fast manner as possible if needed.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 10:11 am
@BillRM,
He must be a "smiling cat" today.

BBB
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 01:45 pm
@BillRM,
Glad to hear such good news regarding your cat. I too had a two-injection a day diabetic cat, who I finally had put to sleep early this summer. I hope you have good days with your cat, and appreciate them. I did, especially near the end.

When it does come time for the end, I recommend being there with your pet. I was, and I believe it was the best thing I could have done. My vet gave him the shot while I stood there with my hand on his head, and I got to comfort him on his journey from here to there. I felt like I gave him a good, easy, soft send-off. It matters how they go, I think. Anyway, I don't mean to be morose here, it seems that your cat is improving. Good luck with your cat, enjoy your time with him. I mean that sincerely.
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:52 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
When it does come time for the end, I recommend being there with your pet. I was, and I believe it was the best thing I could have done.

My family had been pets "owners" all my life and at least one of us had always been with our friends at their final moments.

So I agree with you that it is a duty, obligation and honor to made sure that the last sounds they hear are words of love from their human and the last touch they feel are the hands of a human who love them petting them.

I am happy to hear that you had given your cat that kind of a send off.

Now as far as Blue Eyes is concern he is home but weak and fragile so I am beginning to wonder if I am keeping him alive for his benefits or for my benefits.

Only time will tell if he will regain some of his strength and health however in the mean time I am going to give him all the love I can.
Izzie

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:18 pm
@BillRM,
He knows you love him - keep giving him scritches and lots of strokes and I think you'll know when it's time to let him go...

I had my cat put down on a day that he wasn't so poorly. He'd had 2 surgeries on his ear which had been removed and tumours growing out the side of his head and his face was all pulled together, deformed, and getting tighter byt the day causing him to twitch a lot, like little fits. So... one day, after he'd been twitching quite a bit for the few days before, he was sitting on my printer and looking at me as I was working and I thought... now's the time, when he's not in pain... he twitched at me, kinda smiled to let me know it was time for him to sleep, almost gave me permission.

I called the vet, he came to my home within half and hour and my PaPa came out just after the vet had put him to sleep and he took his last breath pain free and in my arms and then we waited for my eldeset son to come home and PaPa buried him in the paddock.

Broke my heart. Right decision for my kitty tho.

Give Blue Eyes lots of love and I do hope for y'all he will improve over the next few days.

BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:35 pm
@Izzie,
This is the downside of giving you heart to a creature with a most shorter lifespan and yet I would not have it any other way.

I had two cats die without me being around and to this day I am sad about it.

One was at the vet and I can remember telling her before leaving that she needed to get better as I need her to keep her daughter in line.

She got up from the back of the cage and came to me and rub her head against mine purring as she did so. Sometime in the night she pass away in that cage.

Another little girl pass away at home when I was at work shortly before I got home as my mother checked on her a few hours before that and she seems fine.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:37 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
When it does come time for the end, I recommend being there with your pet. I was, and I believe it was the best thing I could have done.

My family had been pets "owners" all my life and at least one of us had always been with our friends at their final moments.

So I agree with you that it is a duty, obligation and honor to made sure that the last sounds they hear are words of love from their human and the last touch they feel are the hands of a human who love them petting them.

I am happy to hear that you had given your cat that kind of a send off.

Now as far as Blue Eyes is concern he is home but weak and fragile so I am beginning to wonder if I am keeping him alive for his benefits or for my benefits.

Only time will tell if he will regain some of his strength and health however in the mean time I am going to give him all the love I can.

WELL SAID, Bill.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:25 am
It time, in fact I waited too long.

It is now 4:14 AM where I am living and I just came from downstairs after visiting with Blue Eyes on the living room couch with him by my side and his friend and "sister" Nuevo on my chest keeping us company.

The vet office open at 8 AM however I am not sure when the vet will get in but in any case I am taking my beloved friend in and having the vet put him down.

Lord I am missing him already.
Izzie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:37 am
@BillRM,
Oh Bill...

very sad for you... you need to do what you think is best for him, so until you get to the vet, just keep giving Blue Eyes scritches - he knows he loved...
BillRM

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:53 am
@Izzie,
Thanks for your kind words Izzie.

I held him and love him until he decided to get off the couch and onto the floor.

The last time I took him to the vet is when I guess I should had have him put down but I did wished to give him a fighting chance even if the odds was not good even then.

Also I did not wish to face the hole of not having him in my life.

You never never know when you are trying to keep a beloved pet alive for his benefit or more for your but now there is no question of the correct course of action to take.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:48 am
@BillRM,
Bill, if Blue Eyes has pulled thru his ordeal,
then its not fair to deprive him of the prize of life. Let Nature take its course. Respect his freedom to live.

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry but the poor guy is just lying on the floor not eating or drinking and not all that aware of his surrounding any longer.

There is no point in prolonging the end by a few hours and this way I will be sure to be with him at his last moments on earth.

In any case it is my duty to end this as kindly as I can.

In fact I am feeling guilty for delaying the process for a few days by employing intense vet care in the small hope that he and I might be granted a little more time together.

David you might not agree with my decision in this matter but please do not argue with me as this is too personal and painful a matter for me to deal with in that manner.

Please think a few kinds thoughts for him and for me if you could.
firefly

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:03 am
@BillRM,
So sorry, BillRM. Every owner of a beloved pet understands what a painful decision and painful loss you are facing.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:57 am
@BillRM,
You are doing the right thing and it demonstrates your love for Blue Eyes and not just your needs. Ignore anyone who doesn't understand your love.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I knew you were thoughtless, but you've demonstrated your stupidity.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:01 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
HOW ??
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Because you spoke.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:09 am
@BillRM,
Bill,
I will discontinue my argument, as per your request.

By way of consolation, I will add that
the same way that human life is not dependent
upon a material body for its existence,
cats' lives will not expire when
their material bodies no longer function.

Life does not end; it appears to be the case that
the law of the Conservation of Energy applies to conscious life.
Humans who have returned from death in hospitals
have ofen expressed that thay have NO fear of future "death".

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:13 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Because you spoke.

BBB
U prove that u can be purposelessly rude.
A fine achievement.

David
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You've mistaken rudeness for honesty and frankness, but then I've noticed that you tend to be awful thick for an ex-lawyer/mensan.