America making it harder to vote? WTH?

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
didn't you at several points claim to be an American?

I can neither confirm nor deny those several points, Hawk.

You might want to check the dictionary for the meaning of 'deceitful'.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You might want to check the dictionary for the meaning of 'deceitful'.

Quote:
1. The action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth

for instance, the truth about who you are....
dictionary.com

OK, done. Now that I have proven that I understand the English language can we get an answer out of you?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
didn't you at several points claim to be an American?

You can. You choose not to.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Note, Hawk, that it says,

"1. The action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth"

Not giving you my personal information doesn't come anywhere close to that definition.

Quote:
Now that I have proven that I understand the English language

Nice try, but no cigar, not even Kewpie Doll for you, Hawk.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You can. You choose not to.

With the limited sense that you have viewed it, of course you're right, Beth.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:23 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Not giving you my personal information doesn't come anywhere close to that definition.
If you accept that all truth is relative to the vantage point in the cosmos of the one speaking it, as Zen teaches and I agree, then one can not both give personal opinion and refuse to be forthcoming about who they are without being deceitful. The refusal on your part to honestly inform your listener about who you are is an act of dishonestly, much like the lie of omission is just as much a lie as is the act of making false statements.

I for one have had more than enough of your bashing America for all manor of crimes as you yourself practice poor morals.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I for one have had more than enough of your bashing America for all manor of crimes as you yourself practice poor morals.

That's a new one, Hawk and I must say it is certainly a good match for your intellectual level.

I'll have to remember to let T2L know about this new meme.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

That's a new one, Hawk and I must say it is certainly a good match for your intellectual level.

I'll have to remember to let T2L know about this new meme.

I think that 99% of A2K'ers are bright enough to spot evasion when they run up on those who practice it...you seem to have a very inflated opinion of your intellect.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think that 99% of A2K'ers are bright enough to spot evasion

There's no evasion on my part, Hawk. No one on A2K is required to identify themselves personally.

But you are right. There are many many A2Kers who know evasion well. You are definitely one of them. You're doing it right now with this bit of nonsense, nonsense which you have tried before.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
. You're doing it right now with this bit of nonsense, nonsense which you have tried before.
You are not the first egotistical ass to run into trouble by continually showing your lack of respect for your peers.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 05:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
all manor of crimes

Quote:
your lack of respect for your peers.

I think not, Hawk, but nice try. Note that the quote addressed only you.

Are you not trying to deceive here, Hawk, by failing to address the very quote that you have brought forward?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It's not uncommon for specific types of electoral fraud (i.e. voter registration fraud and ballot stuffing) to be referred to under the broader umbrella of election fraud or voter fraud.

That's true, but then that just means that a lot of people are not overly concerned with being wrong -- which is also not very surprising.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
So voter registration fraud is a relatively benign scam, because the only guys getting cheated are the ones who paid for the bogus registrations.

That's correct. Registering fictitious voters doesn't affect the outcome of any election, since those fictitious voters never show up to the polls.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I know, do you believe the Republicans didn't take back the Senate too? What kind of a moron votes for Harry Reid?

Given his opponent, I'd say a fairly astute moron.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 03:07 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
all the laws under consideration that would make it harder for Americans to vote

Please list all of the laws you read about in Monday's paper.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:00 pm
@boomerang,
I have not read this thread yet,
but I imagine that it is an effort to fight against voter fraud,
e.g., voting by illegal aliens or multiple voting in different polling places by anyone.

David
JTT

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Don't bother reading it, Dave. We'd just have to get someone to explain it all to you and no one is willing to do that.

Go back to sleep.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 05:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
So voter registration fraud is a relatively benign scam, because the only guys getting cheated are the ones who paid for the bogus registrations.

That's correct. Registering fictitious voters doesn't affect the outcome of any election, since those fictitious voters never show up to the polls.

But you've avoided the question of why anyone would pay to have registration lists padded with non-existent individuals.

You can't imagine any way in which that would be step one in a viting fraud scheme?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But you've avoided the question of why anyone would pay to have registration lists padded with non-existent individuals.

You can't imagine any way in which that would be step one in a viting fraud scheme?

Admittedly, I skipped over the less-coherent parts of your post. But to answer your question: nobody would pay to have registration lists padded with non-existent individuals. That's why the people who were paying the signature gatherers were defrauded, as you yourself acknowledged. And no, I can't imagine any way in which collecting bogus signatures would be a step in a voting fraud scheme.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:12 pm
@JTT,
David wrote:
JTT wrote:
Don't bother reading it, Dave. We'd just have to get someone to explain it all to you and no one is willing to do that.

Go back to sleep.
Go kiss your pictures of your Comrade Stalin,
to entertain u for the evening.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:38 pm
@boomerang,
I'm responding directly to the initial post, without having looked at the rest of the thread.
boomerang wrote:
Why would any state do anything that would make it harder for it's citizens to vote?

Off the top of my head, I can think of two reasons:
  • legislatures want to make it impossible for non-citizens to vote, and
  • they want to make it impossible for citizens to vote in districts they're not living in.
If that makes voting more difficult for the legitimate voters, legislators may consider that a price worth paying.

Personally, I don't see the big deal for either side of the conflict. I'm not aware of any evidence for more than minimal election fraud, so why bother? But I also don't buy that demanding an ID or a driver's license discourages voting on a big scale. Back in Germany, we always had to produce an ID at the voting booth; it didn't prevent the turnout in our national elections from being way higher than America's. (Anywhere between 70% and 90% during the 20 years that I voted in Germany).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:45 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I'm responding directly to the initial post, without having looked at the rest of the thread.
boomerang wrote:
Why would any state do anything that would make it harder for it's citizens to vote?

Off the top of my head, I can think of two reasons:
  • legislatures want to make it impossible for non-citizens to vote, and
  • they want to make it impossible for citizens to vote in districts they're not living in.
If that makes voting more difficult for the legitimate voters, legislators may consider that a price worth paying.
AGREED.

Thomas wrote:
Personally, I don't see the big deal for either side of the conflict.
I'm not aware of any evidence for more than minimal election fraud, so why bother?
1ce, on election nite, I drove my parents to the polls.
Our candidate won the election by 2 votes; I kid u NOT.

Thomas wrote:
But I also don't buy that demanding an ID or a driver's license discourages voting on a big scale. Back in Germany, we always had to produce an ID at the voting booth; it didn't prevent the turnout in our national elections from being way higher than America's. (Anywhere between 70% and 90% during the 20 years that I voted in Germany).
Any citizen who has such little interest in the election
as to be unwilling to identify himself shoud not vote.

David
0 Replies