America making it harder to vote? WTH?

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:21 am
@Baldimo,
I'll go through this with you one last time, Baldimo. This story is about legislation passed in states where the Republicans control the state house. OK? You with me so far? That's what i'm talking about, and you're babbling to me about the "Dems" should do. What do you allege that the "Dems" can accomplish in any states in which the Republicans control the state house? How do you allege thay can accomplish anything? Moral suasion?
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:52 am
@Setanta,
The answer is to take control of the state houses which I seem to remember taking place during the 2006 election cycle. The machines have been an issue for 10 years now and your going to tell me that in all that time none of those state houses have been in Democrat control? Your complaining about the issue as it stands now, why has nothing been done in the last 10 years?

My easy answer to your question is this. The Republicans don't see an issue with machine voting. There has never been a proven case of voter machine tampering, just suggestions of because elections didn't do in the Democrat's favor. If the issue was so dire why hasn't the federal govt looked into the issue? Its pretty easy for a Senator to hold hearings on a subject. Why have none done so?

You entry into the thread started out with you talking voter machines which the thread itself was not about. You have interjected a none related argument here.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:57 am
@Baldimo,
Got any evidence for all those bullshit claims you're making? I was talking about the issue which Boom raised at the beginning of the thread. If you want to go political wool-gathering, help youself. Don't expect me to join you.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I find it funny that when I rented a carpet cleaning machine the other day they made me show ID for it yet you complain about having to show an ID to vote.

I find it funny that people think that a fundamental right, such as voting, should be compared to renting a carpet cleaning machine.

You also inadvertently pointed out the exact reason for implementing these changes: they want to keep people who don't have the wherewithal to rent carpet cleaners from voting.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
like I said touchy

You have spoken a mighty truism.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Actually, there aren't many other countries where "voter fraud" is such a topic.

Veeeerrry interesting, Walter.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 01:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
As for ACORN, the scandal at the 2008 election also involved Obama and his relationship with ACORN. ACORN itself was not convicted but several of their people in various states were. At least 18 former workers had admitted guilt or been convicted on varying charges of election fraud. The punishment ranged from probation to a few months in prison.

Sorry, but this bugs me every time I see it repeated. ACORN workers were never charged with election fraud. They were charged with voter registration fraud. They were accused, in many instances, of registering ineligible or non-existent voters (largely because they were paid per signature, so the more bogus signatures they collected, the more they got paid). Registering Mickey Mouse to vote is a whole lot different from stuffing ballot boxes or rigging electronic voting machines.

On the general topic, I think there are many voters today who shouldn't be voting at all. The last congressional election is pretty solid evidence for that. I am, therefore, all in favor of the government discouraging people from voting. But if the government takes any steps in this direction, it should focus on discouraging the growing segment of Stupid-Americans from casting ballots, rather than putting hurdles only in the path of the poor and lazy.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 01:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
joe, we can't get IQ tests for the candidates, let alone the voting public...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 01:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
. . . it should focus on discouraging the growing segment of Stupid-Americans from casting ballots . . .

Whoa . . . that'll put an end to line-ups at the polling stations right away . . .
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 01:55 pm
@Setanta,
I was discussing Voter ID laws you insisted that voting machines were an issue. I do not see how voting machines are linked to hurdles in the ability of people to vote or how it is the responsibility of the Republicans to fix this issue.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 02:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Actually, there aren't many other countries where "voter fraud" is such a topic.
how many countries are stupid enough to turn over voter sign-up to political pressure groups which have a huge motive to ignore the voting laws while doing so?
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 02:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you referring too both political parties or just the dems.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 02:56 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Are you referring too both political parties or just the dems.
I am referring to anyone other than the Sec Of State in each state who is allowed to sign up voters. I think that if you want to vote you should be made to go down to the Sec of State office and sign a form. If you are not motivated enough to do that then you should not be allowed to vote, as you are unlikely to be a quality voter.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 03:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
as you are unlikely to be a quality voter.

Odd choice of adjective, Hawk. Would a quality voter be a person who was all gung ho for murdering a million or so Iraqis/Afghans, destroying countless homes and lives, spreading WMDs all over the place so little kids can have toys to play with?
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 03:42 pm
@JTT,
Are Americans given a tube of K-Y Jelly after they vote?

"Here citizen, thanks for voting. Be sure to keep yourself well lubed for whoever get into power."
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 03:47 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Are Americans given a tube of K-Y Jelly after they vote?
didn't you at several points claim to be an American?
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 03:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Have you been saving your tubes or using them for extra-curricular activities, Hawk?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 03:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Sorry, but this bugs me every time I see it repeated. ACORN workers were never charged with election fraud. They were charged with voter registration fraud. They were accused, in many instances, of registering ineligible or non-existent voters (largely because they were paid per signature, so the more bogus signatures they collected, the more they got paid). Registering Mickey Mouse to vote is a whole lot different from stuffing ballot boxes or rigging electronic voting machines.

It's not uncommon for specific types of electoral fraud (i.e. voter registration fraud and ballot stuffing) to be referred to under the broader umbrella of election fraud or voter fraud.

In any case, it's not as if millions of Americans might say something to the effect of:

"Oh, those ACORN people were only guilty of voter registration fraud? And here I've been thinking they were guilty of election fraud! Where's my checkbook, this organization got shafted!"

So voter registration fraud is a relatively benign scam, because the only guys getting cheated are the ones who paid for the bogus registrations.

I guess those guys were just looking to incentivize voter registration and they made the harmless mistake of assuming that's what they and ACORN had in common, a desire to see more citizens enabled to exercise their precious right to vote.

Come to think of it, why does anyone think that someone would pay for bogus registrations? It's not like they can be put to use in committing election fraud.

On the general topic, I think there are many voters today who shouldn't be voting at all. The last congressional election is pretty solid evidence for that.

I know, do you believe the Republicans didn't take back the Senate too? What kind of a moron votes for Harry Reid?

I am, therefore, all in favor of the government discouraging people from voting. But if the government takes any steps in this direction, it should focus on discouraging the growing segment of Stupid-Americans from casting ballots, rather than putting hurdles only in the path of the poor and lazy.

Fine with me, you pretty much catch all the poor and lazy by disqualifying for stupidity.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:02 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Have you been saving your tubes or using them for extra-curricular activities, Hawk?
You rank right up there with Firefly for the most deceitful A2K'er....always ready with a personal opinion, never willing to come clean with who you are and where you come from.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 04:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Joe: I am, therefore, all in favor of the government discouraging people from voting. But if the government takes any steps in this direction, it should focus on discouraging the growing segment of Stupid-Americans from casting ballots, rather than putting hurdles only in the path of the poor and lazy.

Quote:
Finn: Fine with me, you pretty much catch all the poor and lazy by disqualifying for stupidity.

I'm afraid the circle goes much much wider than that, Finn.

I disagree with Joe that your vote should be taken away and I will defend to your death your right to vote.
0 Replies