America making it harder to vote? WTH?

JTT

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Here's the guy who sits in his "ignore" hole making pretense that folks should be willing to view all the potential angles of any situation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:25 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't believe I've ever identified my political affiliations on here.

But if believing that Americans have the right to vote, with few exceptions, then I must be a democrat. Frankly, I'm dumbfounded that anyone would try to prevent any American from voting in an American election. I don't care what political party you belong to, that's bizarre.
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:16 pm
@boomerang,
I'd still prefer to use IDs - I mean you can't even get a beer at a sporting event even if you are 95 and look it without a picture ID. I personally do not see that being a huge item that would prevent people from voting.

My mom who has never driven even has a picture ID issued by the state as you need one for almost everything now.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:21 pm
@boomerang,
No one is preventing anyone from voting. Its a personal responsibility to vote. With plenty of heads up time I don't know why anyone wouldn't have the time to get a $10 ID so that they can present it when voting. We have 13 months from now till the election. As I said before, I had to show an ID to rent a carpet machine.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:00 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I don't believe I've ever identified my political affiliations on here.

But if believing that Americans have the right to vote, with few exceptions, then I must be a democrat. Frankly, I'm dumbfounded that anyone would try to prevent any American from voting in an American election. I don't care what political party you belong to, that's bizarre.

Because you are insisting upon seeing it as trying to prevent voting rather than consider that it is trying to prevent fraudulent voting.

I have to say though that your assessment of it as bizarre, irrespective of intent, is itself somewhat bizarre.

Surely there is nothing outlandish about wanting to prevent fraudulent voting, and even if you believe that the actual purpose is to disenfranchise certain voter blocs, there is nothing mystifying about why someone might want to do so and thereby manipulate an election.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn. You are full of it. Everyone here knows that you believe that Democrats shouldent be allowed to vote. Because WE want to raise the taxes on the wealthy.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:39 pm
@RABEL222,
Vote early and vote often.

Kidding aside. Vote away, don't we all know that it isn't the fringe of a part that gets one elected it is the middle. The independent voter or swing voter is who decides the elections.

Right now the thing to do is pass the Voter ID laws now, and then the local "get the vote out" crowd will go into action and make a big deal about how unfair it is. This will cause people to take notice and realize that if they want to vote that they have the proper ID.

WITH 13 MONTHS TILL THE ELECTION THAT SHOULD MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO VOTE TO GET AN ID.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:46 pm
@Baldimo,
At one time the feds discussed federal I D cards, but the conservatives had a tissy fit. The queen of conservatives, Phyliss Shaffley declared it unconstitutional. Now all of a sudden they, conservatives, think everyone should have one. Go figure!!!
Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 05:54 pm
@RABEL222,
Its at the state level. No one mentioned Federal ID's. We are talking drivers license or State issued ID's. I'm not really interested in a Fringe style "Show Me".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:27 pm
I find it totally unbelievable that people are okay with erecting barriers to voting.

You can walk away from renting a carpet cleaner or buying a beer if you don't want to present an ID and, sure, you have a choice not to vote, but if you want to take part in elections you should be able to ID or not.

I can't even hardly believe that this is some kind of "us" v. "them" thing.

At the risk of sounding like one of those emo kids who go around saying "America sucks" while they enjoy all the benefits of being an American (including the right to go around saying "America sucks") I have to say that America kinda sucks.

It should be a ******* shining badge of honor that we do whatever we can to let people participate in elections but instead we act like petty asshats.
Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
In Ohio, you step up to a table staffed by either board of elections employees, or registered volunteers. They produce a voter roll with a facsimile of your signature. You sign your name next to that facsimile while witnessed by the employees/volunteers. If there is any question, or your name does not appear on the voter roll, you are referred to a board of elections employee who is supervising for your precinct(s) (four princincts voted at the same location where i voted). No ID was required if you were already registered for one of those precincts.

But this is more sinister than it seems. Diebold was a major competitor for selling voting machines to the states. There were charges that voting machine tallies and the security of those tallies were suspect in 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006.
In 2003, the CEO sent a round robin to high level employees and conttributors he had previously lined up for Mr. Bush saying that Diebold was committed to delivering the election (200r) to Mr. Bush.

Furthermore, the Wikipedia article on Diebold reports hacking of the Wikipedia article which originated at the company's IP address:

Quote:
In August 2007, Wikipedia Scanner found that edits via the company's IP addresses occurred to Diebold's Wikipedia article, removing criticisms of the company's products, references to its CEO's fund-raising for President Bush and other negative criticism from the Wikipedia page about the company in November 2005.

It seems to me that Republican legislators in the states are only concerned with certain types of potential voter fraud, but not others.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:30 pm
Every state should have a rule that a photo ID needs to be shown prior to voting. Hardly any eligible voter is without a driver license, so it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

We have a big population of undocumented people and in certain areas they could change the political profile in a hurry. We've had reports of people voting more than once in different precincts, so some form of ID is necessary in order to identify the voter.
boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm willing to bet that undocumented workers wouldn't dare to register to vote so they wouldn't be able to vote anyway. I'm sure their employer has instructed them not to try to register.

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:47 pm
Quote:
How do I register to vote? And when?

Before you can vote, you have to register to vote (except in North Dakota). Each state has a different deadline for voter registration, but in most states, you need to register at least 30 days before the election.

Simply click here to register to vote. Follow the directions for completing the form and then mail it to the address that's listed for your state's chief election official. Remember that this form is for use by people who live in or have an address within the United States. (So, if you just moved away to college, you need to be a resident (have a lease, energy bill, etc.) in order to register to vote in that state.

Also, if you are registering to vote for the first time, you must include a photocopy of a government-issued ID with your photo and address on it (a driver's license or U.S. passport will work). (If you don't have a driver's license, you can call your local election official to find out what other forms of ID will work.) This photocopy must be mailed along with your completed and signed voter registration form to your state's election office (the address already on the form).

A few states do not accept MAIL-IN voter registration forms, which means that you must register in person. The states that don't accept mailed-in voter registration forms include: New Hampshire (will only accept a mailed-in form as a request for its own absentee voter registration form) and Wyoming.

Make sure you understand the rules for your state. Some states have same-day registration while some states require your first vote to be in person.

Don't forget your ID: If you register for the first time in a state by mail, you must present ID at the polls. Just keep that photo ID with you when you go to vote, because you just might need it.

I don't know why it has to be any more complicated than it already is.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:53 pm
@Setanta,
Blah blah blah ******* voting machines creating fraud. Get rid of the damn things if they are that much of an issue. I could careless if your polling place is using napkins to register the votes. Move to paper or ask for one of the option is there. I for one haven't used a new voting machine, my district uses scanning machines like the fill in the dot tests from school. Never had an issue with it.

You talk about Diebold and them changing their Wikipedia page. Have you looked on Obama's page for Bill Ayers or Reverend Write or Acorn? They aren't listed so lets be real when it comes to people cleaning up Wikipedia pages. No one has anything negative listed that they don't want listed.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:57 pm
@RABEL222,
Damn!

And all this time I not only thought you hadn't caught on, it seemed to me that my plot was working, and I'd convinced y'all not vote anymore.

For you Rabel, I can imagine that being required to spell your name correctly might actually make it harder for you to vote
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:07 pm
@boomerang,
That's what you think, boomer

Quote:
In California, former Republican Rep. Robert K. Dornan was defeated by Democrat Loretta Sanchez by 984 votes in the 1996 election. State officials found that at least 300 votes were cast illegally by non-citizens.

In 2008 ACORN was prosecuted for voter fraud, and one of the pattern of fraud was to register illegals.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:08 pm
@boomerang,
I'll take that bet.

I'm assuming that by "undocumented workers" you mean "illegal immigrants," and not US citizens with jobs who have just lost all means of personal identification.

I would hope their employers warned them not to try and register, as it would be yet another illegal action on their part.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:13 pm
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott prosecutes Democrats who help seniors vote by mail while ignoring Republican ballot-box stuffing.

Willie Ray was a 69-year-old African-American city council member from Texarkana who wanted her granddaughter, Jamillah Johnson, to learn about civil rights and voting during the 2004 presidential election. The pair helped homebound senior citizens get absentee ballots and, once they were filled out, put them in the mail.

Fort Worth's Gloria Meeks, 69, was a church-going community activist who proudly ran a phone bank and helped homebound elderly people like Parthenia McDonald, 79, vote by mail. McDonald, whose mailbox was two blocks away from her home (she recently died), called Meeks "an angel" for helping her, a friend of both women said.

And until he recently moved out of state, Walter Hinojosa, a retired school teacher and labor organizer from Austin, was another Democratic Party volunteer who helped elderly and disabled people vote by getting them absentee ballots and mailing them.

Today, Ray and Johnson have criminal records for breaking Texas election law. Their travel was restricted during a six-month probation. Meeks is in a nursing home after having a stroke, prompted in part, her friends say, by state police who investigated her-including spying on Meeks while she bathed-and then questioned her about helping McDonald and others vote. Hinojosa has left Texas.

Their crime: not including their names, addresses, and signatures on the back of ballots they mailed for their senior neighbors, and carrying envelopes containing those ballots to the mailbox. Since 2005, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, a Republican, has been prosecuting Democratic Party activists, almost all African-Americans and Latinos, as part of an effort to eradicate what he said was an "epidemic" of voter fraud in Texas.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So you think undocumented workers DO try to register to vote. You'll take THAT bet?
0 Replies