America making it harder to vote? WTH?

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
Illegally cast in which direction? Were all of the contested votes cast my Mexicans? How did they know they were "non-citizens"? So he really only lost by 684 votes?

What was the verdict for ACORN?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything. I just don't know.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:47 pm
The argument that it can be too easy to sign up and to vote was well articulated back when Bill Clinton was pitching Motor Votor plans during his term, though the argument did not get much traction. Part of the argument goes that you get too much fraud and the state signs up for massive expenditures in voter roll policing when it subcontracts out voter sign-up to political pressure groups..these groups have a incentive to cheat, and while at the time it was normal to extensively underestimate risk so this truth was ignored what has happened is that predictably political pressure groups have cheated, and the state has had to spend a lot of money policing the voter rolls. But states and counties are hard up for money now, so they would rather not blow it trying to compensate for this hair brained idea. There has for instance been a big problem in recent years with convicted felons remaining on the voter rolls when they should not be, and easy third party sign ups has been considered a big part of the problem.

The other main objection, which I agree with, is that making it easy for every lazy ignorant American to cast a vote subverts democracy. It is not the collective that gets the most people to vote which has the best democracy, it is the one that has the voters who pick the best people that wins. The person who is invested enough, cares enough to do a little work to get his vote in is going to on average be a better voter than is the one who can phone it in.

The conservatives might feel that barrier free voting helps the DeMS, they might feel that lazy ignorant people are more likely to vote DEM, but as far as I am concerned this is irrelevant. Good policy is worth doing because it is good policy even if it favors one side over the other. If the DEMS lose votes because of responsible voter roll construction then they deserve to lose votes, it is tough cookies for them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:35 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer, this happened here in southern CA - Orange county and the two candidates fought a bitter battle. When Sanchez, with Mexican background, won the election by such a small margin, her opponent Doran
alleged that illegals were voting and it launched a massive investigation where indeed it was found out that 624 votes were cast by illegals. Doran still lost by a few votes, but it became secondary to the outrage that indeed 624 illegals were able to vote.

As for ACORN, the scandal at the 2008 election also involved Obama and his relationship with ACORN. ACORN itself was not convicted but several of their people in various states were. At least 18 former workers had admitted guilt or been convicted on varying charges of election fraud. The punishment ranged from probation to a few months in prison.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 12:17 am
@CalamityJane,
Did those 300 votes go Dem or Rep?
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 01:47 am
@Baldimo,
The point, which you miss or ignore, is that Republican lawmakers are peeing in their panties about potential vote fraud by those who have not presented ID, but are doing nothing about the potential of voter fraud from voting machine security. Don't tell me what needs to be changed, talk to the Republican legislators who are all up in arms about people showing ID at polling places. It's not up to me to change those things. Blah, blah, blah ******* lack of IDs creating fraud, clown.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:13 am
@Setanta,
Here is an Idea. Since Republicans are trying to cover one aspect of voter fraud why don't the Democrats cover the other aspect. The left can secure the method of voting and make sure it is safe from fraud. Why do the Republicans have to do everything? Push the Democrat lawmakers to make sure the voting method is secure. If Diebold machines are an issue then make sure no one at the local level purchase can them. Make laws stipulating the security behind the voting method. If their machines violate that law then they can't be used. Diebold will either stop trying or improve their software.

Why is it the people who you don't trust in office (Republicans) are the same people you are demanding answers from? You want them to address the issue of faulty voting machines but you aren't going to trust the answer they give you unless it meets the answer you already have in your head. Anything different and you would cry foul.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:13 am
What's mind boggling to me is that the U.S. being such an advanced nation
has such an antiquated voting system. Just one look to our neighbors up north or across the pond would give them some pointers in how to do it.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:14 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Did those 300 votes go Dem or Rep?

Who cares! Point is, the system is faulty and needs to be corrected.
(Democrat Sanchez won)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:28 am
@CalamityJane,
Actually, there aren't many other countries where "voter fraud" is such a topic.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:14 am
@Baldimo,
Here's an idea, read the posted articles again. Republican lawmakers in several states came up with this voter fraud bullshit, but don't seem to be terribly concerned about fraud committed with voting machines, which it appears would benefit them. That was the point of what i posted, whether you understood that, or are willing to acknowledge it.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:39 am
@Setanta,
Democrats don't seem overly concerned with voter fraud either. As CJ pointed out there have been cases of voter fraud. Here is a link for possible voter fraud here in CO. It is still under investigation.

http://drscoundrels.com/2011/03/15/voter-fraud-in-colorado-november-elections-house-committee-to-investigate/

Its the same side of a different coin. Democrats do not want to enforce Voter ID laws because they believe it will not benefit them.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:42 am
@Baldimo,
Which has what to do with voter fraud perpetrated with fiddling the voting machines--a potentially much more dangerous trend--which doesn't seem to bother the Republican lawmakers who have got their panites in twist over voter ID?
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:54 am
@boomerang,
But I don't see how requesting an id is much of a barrier - especially as I explained it is made easily available and to no cost if you are below x level of income.

You need an id for almost anything now a days - you need one for a job, you need it to get unemployment and most other state or federal benefits.

I could have easily voted in my neighbors place last go around when she moved - I easily saw the voting list and her name was still on it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:55 am
@Setanta,
we should be concerned with all voter fraud and if can be prevented with little barriers, they why wouldn't you do it?
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:56 am
@Linkat,
Why do you assume i wouldn't. Why do you presume to lecture me?
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:57 am
@boomerang,
Well right there it says you need a photo id - then what is the fuss about it?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 10:58 am
@Setanta,
Then the answer is for the Dems to pick up where the Reps are lacking.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:03 am
@Setanta,
I'm not lecturing - just pointing it out. And it isn't specifically pointed at you - just the general subject.

People are very touchy sometimes when you hit the reply key
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:07 am
@Linkat,
You're sure as hell telling me what we should all be concerned about.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 11:12 am
@Setanta,
like I said touchy