Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Effective in what way? Seems what they have accomplished are mostly negatives for this country. Blindly cutting government spending is a fool's goal; we've seen the destruction to employment, and the failure to keep up our infrastructure, schools, and the safety net for those who have lost jobs through no fault of their own. Yet, we continue to spend billions to help other countries.

Sez you. Obviously a whole lot of people disagree with you.

In any case, I can't believe I have to keep explaining that the argument is that the Tea Party has been far more influential and politically effective than Occupy.

Whether or not the policies the TP supports will prove to be advantageous to America, remains to be seen. Your judgment of of these policies is entirely premature.

Once again, irrespective of whether or not you agree with either movements tenets, one has made much more of a practical difference than the other.

This a plain and simple truth at this point in time.

I contend that truth will not change in years to come, but I suppose we'll see.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:18 pm
@Questioner,
I'm consistent and if I am consistently in disagreement with you, it's not surprising, nor something that I regret.

I'm not surprised that you stand by your "manipulated rabble" comment either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In the obverse, those who have acted as Tea Party members have seen recalls and demonstrations against what they have imposed through government fiat such as destroying government unions, and creating handicaps for voters.

If you believe that is "influential," you just don't understand the American people, and you've been ignoring the outcry from educators, police, and firefighters.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:46 pm
@hingehead,
Well every once in a while is better that virtually every time I post.

I stand corrected on your origins, but that means you write posts as if you were the cynical child of affluent parents. You need to take hold of your Working Class roots more.

I am a baby boomer and was a hippie, but I gave up that indulgence when I had kids. Of course I generalize, and sometimes foolishly, but clearly so do you or I would not engage with you, so spare me the high horse riding.

You've misjudged me:

My motto isn't "**** you Jack, I'm OK," it's "**** you Jack if you want what I have but are not prepared to work as hard as me."

You object to "Occupiers" and yet employ "Teabaggers." Pretty rich.

Scroll back in this thread and you will see that I have acknowledged that some of the concerns expressed by Occupy are legitimate. Some of them are simply expressions of selfishness and ignorance, and it wouldn't matter if they had establishment supporters for them, they would remain the same.

Surely many if not most of the Occupiers would describe themselves as Progressives or Liberals --- some will call themselves radicals, and yet what you are describing is a reactionary response to change.

I too am a product of the working class, and my generation really took it in the neck. When we were young we were promised one result, and after we worked our asses off to obtain that result the rules got changed. That's life though. I could have stomped my feet and insisted on the benefits that I had been tacitly promised or I could adapt and thrive. I chose the latter approach and it has served me well.

Do I have a lot of sympathy for folks who make stupid decisions for selfish reasons, and then find themselves fucked? No I do not.

If you take out huge loans to attend an Ivy League school so you can get a Sociology degree, and find yourself without a job and in debt...Wow, what a surprise!

And...if you are not prepared to adapt and thrive, then take actions that have some chance of changing the scenario. Camping out in public parks, beating tribal drums, and throwing paper airplanes at the executive offices of banks ain't going to do it.

This is why I have such ill regard for Occupy: Babies wail because they are hungry or their diapers are filled with ****. Adults affect change.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:52 pm
@Fido,
If only your arguments kept pace with the quality of your expression.

This response, alas, is yet another crock.

The Tea Party is motivated by "malignancy?" Slick rhetoric, but, for once, offer some substantiation for your skillful blather.

All Occupy has done is wail...no organization, no action...never a revolution.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This has nothing to with understanding "The American People."

Please recalibrate your bullshit governor.

Let me try one last time to explain this in a way that has a chance of breaking through your ideological barricades.

For example:

I want the government to invade Iran; you do not.

Both of us make our beliefs known by staging demonstrations and such.

I spend my time and money getting candidates who agree with me elected to congress. You just keep on wailing.

I have been far more effective than you.

Capiche?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, we haven't invaded Iran yet, and it looks like we're not going to; so, how effective have you been on this issue, exactly?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I do not "wail." I have written to President Obama on many issues. I also vote in every election. Your use of "capiche" is not only misplaced, but ignorant as well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From Wiki:
Quote:
During the protest period
A USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 61% of Americans would oppose a law similar to the Wisconsin bill in their state while 33% were for it.[210] A similar New York Times/CBS Poll found that 60% of Americans opposed restricting collective bargaining while 33% were for it. The poll also found that 56% of Americans opposed reducing pay of public employees compared to 37%. The details of the poll also stated that 26% of those surveyed, thought pay and benefits for public employees were too high, 25% thought too low, and 36% thought about right. Mark Tapscott of the Washington Examiner criticized the poll, accusing it of over-sampling union and public employee households.[211]
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, we haven't invaded Iran yet, and it looks like we're not going to; so, how effective have you been on this issue, exactly?

Cycloptichorn

It's a hypothetical. Surely someone has nimble-minded as you can grasp the concept.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thick as a brick.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 05:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Since you really can't respond intelligently, you resort to ad hominems. LOL
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You should know that an ad hominem is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative . I'm not convinced Finn employed the device. I think a brick that took pride in its thickness would envy you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:25 pm
@spendius,
spendi, You don't even understand simple words that are commonly used.

Quote:
ad ho·mi·nem/ˈad ˈhämənəm/
Adverb:
(of an argument or reaction) Arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain.

Finn wrote,
Quote:
Thick as a brick.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:40 pm
Young US military man speaking truth.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 06:41 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

I agree with the majority of that, though I'm actually not a huge occupy supporter. I do believe that their message (once they finally settled on what the hell it was) is one I partially share.

Good. I almost always appreciate the level of your posts. Also, I'm glad they finally settled on a message - beyond "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore." We're almost three months into the protests, but better late than never.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
LOL indeed.

Whether or not 'Thick as a brick" is an ad hominem, I confess that I have a breaking point when it comes to the seemingly willful thick-headedness of posters.

Case in point: Your insistence on arguing that the measure of political influence is based on a quality of results that cannot be determined for years to come.

This is a thickness that indeed bricks might envy.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thick as **** is a better turn of phrase.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I've found that bricks tend to be thicker than ****.

Ian Anderson agrees with me.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 08:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Turns of phrase are more dependent on the cadence of words than physical reality.
0 Replies