Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

failures art

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:48 am
Quote:
Occupy Wall Street Has No 'Message', But It Has A Reason
Posted: 10/6/11 04:17 PM ET

One of the most well-rehearsed axioms of the Occupy Wall Street event is that "the media does not know how to talk about it," and, as a result, is talking about it to as minimal an extent as is possible. Fortunately for the occupation's supporters, their presence is getting harder and harder to ignore. And so the media's problem is slowly but steadily becoming the nation's problem.

When I joined in the Solidarity March today along with fellow students from Columbia, NYU, CUNY, and SUNY, not to mention an impressive number of labor organizations, I was approached by two different broadcast journalists for interviews. The first identified himself as "Kuwaiti television," and the second identified herself as "from CUNY." Each newscaster thrust a microphone in my face and asked the same question, "Why are you here?" I could not escape the feeling that they were speaking for the entire country, maybe the world, and that somehow, if the answer to the question could be "discovered," all the cameras would pack up and go home, relieved not to have to be in downtown Manhattan anymore.

We must begin by acknowledging that the first fundamental fact of Occupy Wall Street is that it has no message. It is not a localized policy march, like a march for same-sex marriage equality or for a university living wage or for a political candidate. Occupy Wall Street is unlike any of these protest-type gatherings for the simple reason that it cannot be talked about in familiar terms.

The "meaning" of the occupation will emerge over time, both by the intellectuals and journalists who are already trying to explain the event's "goals," and by history itself, which will measure the occupation by the way it concludes. I think it is worth considering, though, that the present incommensurability of the occupation, the fact that it cannot be explained away by being made to stand in for a "message" or a "platform," is its greatest asset, and the marker of its significance.

I answered the question, "Why are you here?," not by citing the degree of inequity between wealthy and non-wealthy Americans (the problem of the so-called "99%"), nor the oligarchy manifesto known as Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, nor the bank and corporate bailouts, nor the refusal by any major Western state to take environmental climate change seriously, nor the decades of imperialist inefficacies of the IMF. What I tried to say--and what I am attempting to say better here--is that I came because by being physically present at Occupy Wall Street, I could increase, however marginally, the likelihood that more people would look in my direction.

If Occupy Wall Street is to be permitted any meaning at all, it is as deixis. Deixis takes place when a rhetorician points to something (figuratively or actually) without giving it a name ("here" and "that one there" are deictic terms). A deictic gesture changes the direction of attention, so that what it points away from is as significant as what it points toward.

Occupy Wall Street, in other words, is not occupying anything. It is pointing toward and pointing away. It is pointing toward corporate power, through corporate power's most transparent metonym, the short seven blocks north of Exchange Place that connect Broadway and the East River. And Occupy Wall Street is pointing away from Washington D.C., from the Senate, from the House of Representatives, from Barack Obama, from Rick Perry and Chris Christie, from filibusters, from debt ceilings, from "supercongresses," from election polls, from Americans for Prosperity, from Karl Rove, from George Soros, from campaign ads, from everything that "the media"--particularly the socially engaged media like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC--understands to be "politics." Occupy Wall Street turns away from these items and says: That is sideshow.

What is real? The flow of capital, the source of money and the direction in which it travels, who is paying for what, and how they are getting their money in the first place. Equally real are the consequences of these conditions on the lived experiences of the world's citizens. No matter what the individual protestors' "interests" and "demands" might be--and I insist that it is not to the occupation's discredit that many protestors could not honestly and coherently answer "Why are you here?"--the occupation's message could not be simpler: LOOK!

It is because Occupy Wall Street is, at least right now, nothing more than an act of deixis, and because that content-less gesture has grown in size and strength without any major institution willing it to, that it is significant. Regardless of what legacy Occupy Wall Street leaves behind, its existence matters in the world-historical sense. It is the genuine expression of a real deficiency at the constitutional level of our socio-political system that not only cannot be solved by structures currently in place, it cannot even be understood in those structure's terms.

The day we--as individuals and as participants in a media apparatus--learn how to talk about Occupy Wall Street is the day Occupy Wall Street's first and only "demand" will be met. That is the day when we learn how to talk about the world economy as something other than a given state of affairs, to be "managed" by policy decisions and morally sound corporate leaders.

It is time to ask the question, "What are the obligations of a state to its people?" It is time we stop pretending that those obligations are not being met because of a surplus of legislators and corporate executives who are "greedy" or "ideological" or "political" or "evil." It is time we ask the only real question worth asking of Occupy Wall Street--why is this happening?

What are the political and socio-economic conditions of our country failing to achieve such that an increasingly large number of people feel they must go to the streets without solutions, without leadership, without message and point to a set of buildings that are themselves not the problem, filled with people who are working for a living and are also, as individuals, not the problem? And will that be fixed?

My emphasis added

source

@Butterflynet - I appreciate Oberman's metaphor about painted footsteps on the ground for a familiar dance. That #OWS is doesn't fit the 7-day news cycle or get packaged easily into a candidate or platform is not inherently a weakness in my opinion. John Stewart recently said as much as well when he noted (and I'll have to paraphrase) that common criticism of OWS from both it's opponents and even it's supporters is that it lacks a plan and has a muddled message. Stewart went on to show that having no plan is not really an obstacle for the muddled messages and platforms/bills that we leave to the pundit class and elected leaders.

I'm not doing him justice, so just listen for yourself: Parks & Demonstration

A
R
T
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:06 am
i gotta say, this might be playing big in America

by the way, is it

the Arab Spring lead the nightly National news i watch, for almost its entire run, i've seen maybe 2 stories on this thing so far (in Canada, CBC radio is giving it a bit more play)

i refuse to watch the 24 hour newsfotainment (or more correctly newsfo-TAINT*-ment) crap, so maybe it's getting more play elsewhere

*a thing whose influence or effect is perceived as contaminating or undesirable

or

that area between the genitals and the anus

you decide which terms best describe CNN, FOX, MNSBC et al
failures art

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:15 am
@djjd62,
...then I take it you agree with the paragraph from above:

Quote:
Occupy Wall Street, in other words, is not occupying anything. It is pointing toward and pointing away. It is pointing toward corporate power, through corporate power's most transparent metonym, the short seven blocks north of Exchange Place that connect Broadway and the East River. And Occupy Wall Street is pointing away from Washington D.C., from the Senate, from the House of Representatives, from Barack Obama, from Rick Perry and Chris Christie, from filibusters, from debt ceilings, from "supercongresses," from election polls, from Americans for Prosperity, from Karl Rove, from George Soros, from campaign ads, from everything that "the media"--particularly the socially engaged media like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC--understands to be "politics." Occupy Wall Street turns away from these items and says: That is sideshow.

A
R
"That is sideshow"
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:23 am
@failures art,
i think the whole thing is sideshow

failures art

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:31 am
@djjd62,
What is then not the sideshow? Things are happening, and have been happening prior to #OWS. Where in your mind should we fix our gaze?

A
R
T
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:40 am
@failures art,
the government

occupy Washington, storm the Bastille, some heads on polls will teach a lesson

business will always scheme to do what's best for them, stop the people who work for you enabling them
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:53 am
@mysteryman,
I know in Boston - they are using the hotels bathrooms - at first they were going to South Station (train station), but then I heard a hotel was allowing them to use bathrooms - not so sure about the showers - I was thinking the same thing.

Also, in Boston, many places were donating food - so much so that they had to tell them to stop bringing food as it was attracting rats. The other interesting things is the homeless in the area. Seems they have been coming around the tents - one reporter that stayed overnight reported how she heard a homeless person barfing outside her tent.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:54 am
@Thomas,
They are not working because they are camped out in tents and staying there. They can't be working if they are there 24/7 as they claim they are doing.

Most are students or young adults without jobs - thus part of their protests - their fear of not finding work.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:17 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Could this "manifesto" be more pretentious and trite?

I guess you won't be protesting against Wall Street anytime soon, then. But you knew that before the style of the manifesto rubbed you the wrong way, didn't you?

Thomas wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Could this "manifesto" be more pretentious and trite?

I guess you won't be protesting against Wall Street anytime soon, then. But you knew that before the style of the manifesto rubbed you the wrong way, didn't you?

Not under the OWS banner, and considering what I wrote about this "movement" before I read the manifesto, you've hardly just displayed remarkable insight.

But of greater interest to me are your thoughts on the manifesto. Is it calling you to join the fray on Wall Street?
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:20 am
okay i might be changing my mind

listening to the opie and anthony show and they talked to a new intern who's been hanging around in Wall Street

he related a story about fingering some 20 something hippy chick the other night

now that's something i could get behind

**** Wall Street, Occupy the Vagina
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:39 am
@djjd62,
Just curious, who said, "99% poor but the rich ain't one..."? Was it Jay-Z?
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Very Happy
sounds about right
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:09 am
I've seen pictures of PDiddie out there, in Houston. If I were young and out of work I would be there with him. I just can't disrupt my whole life to get out like that. But, I can voice my support.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:33 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

They have lost their jobs. Their homes are being repossessed. They have no health insurance. They owe $50,000 borrowed for college. They read about corporate craziness, government spending that make one spit.

What to do? Get out there and say, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!"

You think this will do the trick, protesting? May as well join the crowd across the planet, and protest. There's nothing else to do. They have nothing else to do.

They haven't all lost their jobs, or had their homes repossessed. They don't all have $50K in college loans but no health insurance. And the ones that have or do, didn't all arrive at their current status in the same manner, or necessarily, as victims of anything other than poor decisions.

I have tremendous sympathy for those who have lost their jobs because of a declining economy and are unable to find new ones. It is a terrible situation that has not been effectively addressed and will not be effectively addressed by the president's Job Plan. They have a right to be angry at the people whose, greed, lust for power and incompetence helped create this situation, and they have a right to express that anger.

They're mistaken though if:

1) They lay the entire fault at the feet of Wall Street
2) They believe that repeated expression of their anger (properly directed or not) will have an appreciable effect on finding solutions
3) That believe allowing the expression of their anger to cross civil and legal boundaries will be of any help whatsoever
4) They believe that doing away with Wall Street (aka Capitalism) will solve their problems or not cause new and worse ones.

These protests alone will be of no value. These folks can spend the next 12 months camping out in Liberty Park, chanting slogans, performing street theater, breaking a few windows and getting in scuffles with the police and nothing positive will happen.

It's not as if these protests can generate even a tiny fraction of the economic, moral and political leverage their heroes of the Arab Spring did.

They are not going to shout the problems away. Their constant, lonely vigils on William and Pine street aren't going to shame Wall Street bankers into giving them all jobs, and a thousand YouTube videos of college aged kids getting pressed to the street by police and cuffed from behind aren't going to incite a worker class revolution.

Overblown and incoherent manifestos and demands aren't going to result in negotiations with representatives of a secret cabal of bankers that actually runs this country.

What those who have participated in these protests can do is to organize around a shared outline of how to solve the problems and form political action groups that can begin affecting change at the local level. If their message resonates with a wider audience they could grow into an influential group.

Unfortunately, for most of the protestors, political activism is boring tedious stuff. It's something you have to actually work at; with virtually no prospect for a short term (let alone immediate) pay-off.

Short of the entire "movement" running down a drain of frustration and disinterest, the likely next step will be for the violence to escalate. That sort of energy always runs through large crowds of angry people which is why you see, in some of these videos, out-numbered cops looking edgy, and it wouldn't take too much effort to unleash it...certainly not as much as effort as obtaining the contact information of hundreds of fellow protestors, or committing to attending local town hall meetings.

I'd actually like to see this thing develop into a legitimate political movement like the Tea Party. I doubt that there would be much of a nationwide resonance for Marxist solutions, but to the extent that this group can grow to actually represent a significant point of view, it's all good.
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But of greater interest to me are your thoughts on the manifesto. Is it calling you to join the fray on Wall Street?

I will withhold judgment on that until I know enough about the movement. For now, I don't.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
They are not working because they are camped out in tents and staying there. They can't be working if they are there 24/7 as they claim they are doing.

The encampment is there 24/7. Not every individual in the ecampment has to be.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:54 pm
@Thomas,
According to those that are staying there - they plan on staying 24/7. I have seen and heard interviews with them - that is what they plan on doing. And all the ones I have heard and seen being interviewed do not have jobs.

The majority are students - one 17 year old girl even stated in her interview that is it mostly teenagers - or recently graduated students without jobs with a few retired and laid off individuals. I have not heard one interview from a currently employed person. Other than a reporter or two who stayed overnight for the experience and to report on it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:07 pm
@Thomas,
And because you probably wouldn't believe me (but anyone can do a quick search and see the results) - those camping out specifically as this is what I was saying 24/7:

NAME: Nicole Sullivan, 21, Somerville
OCCUPATION: Studying Sociology at Bunker Hill Community College

NAME: Eli Cohen, 22, Amherst

NAME: Shane Aspinall, 25

NAME: Cathy Hoffman, 59

NAME: Alex Blaney, 17
NAME: James Edward VanLooy, 63, Dorchester

And this is similar as to anything I've seen on TV news and on radio - similar interviews. And Boston is supportive of this - so it isn't like the news around here (for the most part) is trashing them.
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/boston/downtown/gallery/occupy_boston/
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:30 pm
@Linkat,
I know people there with jobs. I know more of them there with jobs than not. In their case, they've been staying in shifts. Thomas is right. The goal is to have thee encampment there 24/7, not to simply be there around the clock. The population in these parks has a sinusoidal population. It peaks in the afternoons at... you guessed it... around the time people get off work.

I know people in NYC, DC, and STL doing this.

I think if you take you cameras down there at 11am on a Wednesday, you're going to find more participants who are out of work or who have flexible schedules (like college students). Given the way media collects it's daily sound bytes and produces it's segments, do you really think that it's only a bunch of jobless people?

A
R
T
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:48 pm
@failures art,
Well yeah - I didn't say there were not people that not staying over night and there were no people with jobs there.

I said - the majority that were staying there over night did not have jobs - in reference to Thomas saying you are assuming they are not working...

Well there is good reason to assume this - most of them are not....just per these interviews that support that - the very people staying there say so.

I'm not pointing out good or bad - just the facts.

And what is wrong being jobless - my husband has been? Many are jobless due to no fault of their own. Isn't that one of the big concerns of the group? Doesn't it make sense there would be more without jobs there?