Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

failures art

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, I use "#Occupiers" so it won't really annoy me. "#Occupants" doesn't really jump of the page. Go for something more universal with a better pun.

We use hashtags (#), so maybe if you want to you can create a pun.

Hashies
Trashtags

You're creative. I'm sure you can come up with something.

A
R
T
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's crazy and smacks of censorship. They should let her speak her mind. I hope she has figured that out.

As for the drums, I get what that one teenager was saying, but I don't think they should be allowed to disturb schools or surrounding households. Good grief, what if there was a hospital nearby?

If they want to share their sleeping bags and stuff that's fine by me LOL.
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:49 pm
@failures art,
#Occupiers -- that's Twitter language!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 07:19 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

#Occupiers -- that's Twitter language!

Haven't you heard? The Hashtag is actually a digital swastika!

http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/2011/10/17/bizarre-neo-swastika-reminiscent-of-the-great-dictator-used-as-power-symbol-by-ows-leaders/

Cycloptichorn
RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 12:03 am
How about this christian symbol? + Wasent this the first swastika wannabe!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 01:42 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

That's crazy and smacks of censorship. They should let her speak her mind. I hope she has figured that out.

You have to realize that they are on the bleeding edge in virgin territory.

They are living experiments for organizational semiotics establishing new social modalities with each task a given Committee takes upon itself to complete.

Paradigms are shifting around and through them in the manner of a sudden rockslide rather than a centuries old glacier, and they're struggling with defining a global cultural schema that can synthesize static communication, dynamic apathy and anarchic imperatives.

They are composing their generation's metanarrative while attempting to reconcile the incommensurable and reweaving the tattered communal network that they've inherited.

With this much on their plates and with so much at stake, they can't afford to allow the message to morph through undisciplined gibberish masquerading as personal expression.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Boy, was that ever profound, Finn.

I guess.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Occupants is my guess. Maybe they're trying to build a case for adverse domain.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 02:49 am
@roger,
Thanks.

If I knew what it mean't I might be able to tell you if it was profound or not, but I don't have a clue.

It looks, to me, a lot like the pretentious gibberish I've read by people who try and explain why it's not only acceptable that OWS doesn't have a plan or any goals, it's preferable.
Builder

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
What I'm understanding about the lack of a clear agenda is.............(drum roll).......................... critics of the movement are demanding a clear agenda, so clearly giving the critics what they want is not the right thing to be doing.

roger

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:30 am
@Builder,
That does have a certain peculiar logic. Anyway, not having an agenda makes their agenda awfully hard to target.

Sounds like an old movie called Network. "We're mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore."
Builder

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:34 am
@roger,
Way too many agendas this early in the movement, Roger.

One common thread seems to be coming through though.

http://li212-164.members.linode.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/danica-occupy-comic.png
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:25 am
@Builder,
That was great!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 09:26 am
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That author is obviously not wise to the ways of the tweeting twits on Twitter! He got schooled, though, in the comments ahahaha! Some of them are hilarious!
Irishk

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ah, now I get it! Part of it. Wait. Are you saying she's a virgin and that's why they won't let her speak? Or they're afraid she'll be hit by a rock? LOL whatev.

It's wrong. WRONG, I tell you!
mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You're smoking something if you think any one of the crop of losers your side has put forward has a chance of beating Obama, who not only is far more intelligent than any of them, he's far more LIKED and has far more MONEY. That's not a recipe for a GOP victory.

This from the man that almost gauranteed that the dems would keep the house AND the senate in 2010.
Your track record for predicting election outcomes is not very good.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:51 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
You're smoking something if you think any one of the crop of losers your side has put forward has a chance of beating Obama, who not only is far more intelligent than any of them, he's far more LIKED and has far more MONEY. That's not a recipe for a GOP victory.

This from the man that almost gauranteed that the dems would keep the house AND the senate in 2010.
Your track record for predicting election outcomes is not very good.

1 for 2 ain't that bad.

But, instead of giving me a hard time about that, let me ask: do you honestly think Perry, Cain or Romney is the guy to beat Obama, considering the advantages a sitting prez has?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 12:33 pm
It looks like some church leaders are starting to show empathy for humanity! I guess that this will weed the true followers of Christ from the phonies.

failures art

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 01:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
"If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD--and he will repay you!"
- Proverbs 19:17

A
R
T