Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

Old Goat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:10 am
Reading the news yesterday, it would appear that British bankers are queuing up for approx £7 billion worth of bonuses this year, despite appalling results and the banks actually acting in such a way as to bring the UK back to the brink of financial disaster again.
I am sorry to say that, if these bonuses are actually paid out, then I am of the opinion that a very similar demonstration will take place in the City (the financial district of London).
The only difference being that the UK demonstrators will bring flasks of tea and home made sandwiches, as the prices in London are outrageously high.
hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:43 am
@Old Goat,
OG, I thought you'd already had your OWS moment - lots car burning and looting from memory.
Builder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 03:39 am
I'm thinking it must be about time for an epidemic or two, coupled with another Pearl Harbour type of event to stun the plebs into a gratitudinal/subservient stance.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:20 am
Quote:
Editor admits to ‘infiltrating’ D.C. protest to undermine ‘Occupy’ movement

An assistant editor for the conservative magazine The American Spectator admitted in print Saturday to infiltrating an antiwar protest in Washington, D.C. in hopes of undermining the “Occupy” movement.

Patrick Howley — “for journalistic purposes” — was one of the antiwar protesters who clashed with security staff at The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum on Saturday, leading to one arrest and numerous people being pepper-sprayed.

The progressive blog Firedoglake has condemned the editor as an agent provocateur, but it is unclear if Howley actually incited the clash with security guards.

According to the conservative writer, he rushed into the museum entrance with only a handful of other protesters.

“I forced myself into the doors and sprinted blindly across the floor of the Air and Space Museum, drawing the attention of hundreds of stunned khaki-clad tourists,” he said.

“As far as anyone knew I was part of this cause,” Howley wrote, “a cause that I had infiltrated the day before in order to mock and undermine in the pages of The American Spectator — and I wasn’t giving up before I had my story.”

The “mock and undermine” portion of the article was later removed without comment after numerous media outlets, including The Washington Post, New York magazine and The Guardian, reported the story. The URL of the article was also changed.

The protest was part of the “October 2011 Stop the Machine” antiwar demonstration. The protesters planned to demonstrate against the drone exhibit at the museum.

Howley, conflating the antiwar protest with the “Occupy” movement, wondered if the “ill-defined, anti-corporate and anti-bailout protests” were dangerous, but concluded that without ideological uniformity and a willingness to boldly confront authority, the “protesters have no political power.”

Some of those in the museum demonstration were affiliated with the “Occupy D.C.” protest group that began on October 1, but the two groups have made it clear that they are separate.

Updated October 10, 2011 at 1:09pm ET.

source

Keep it classy American Spectator

A
R
T
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

I agree that financial crimes can hurt many people, but if your moral compass makes that worse than murder we probably have irreconcilable differences about our underlying criteria upon which our moral codes rest.

Well, the issue is that financial crimes can affect thousands and even millions of people. They have a much, much wider scope than crimes which affect a small group of individuals. That increases the severity of the crime in my opinion. What's worse, doing a lot of damage to one family or group, or doing a lot of damage to thousands or millions? It's not an easy question to answer, and that alone gives us the justification we need for aggressive oversight and investigation of past crimes.

Re: the evidence: there's plenty of evidence already uncovered that the banks were systematically engaging in fraud when it came to mortgages. And it's been my long life experience that everything - everything - is worse than it appears to be on the surface. That people knew what was going on. I think it's extremely rare that things happen by accident in real life. I do not presume that things were accidents until they were proven to be so - especially when those involved profited tremendously in the process.

It beggars belief to claim that the executives who ran these banks and mortgage houses didn't know the most basic facts about their own businesses and how they operate. When you are running a mortgage oversight unit of your company and you see that hundreds are being 'reviewed' by the same person on a daily basis, you know for a fact that they aren't doing their job properly. The people running these businesses knew that there were many unethical practices going on and did nothing to stop it. This is basic logic and if you stopped to think about it for a second you'd agree with me.

You seem to be caught up on the fact that nobody knew the extent the crisis would reach. I'm not arguing with that. I'm saying that these folks knew that the part of the business they were involved with wasn't being ran properly or safely; and you would have us ignore all of that. I can't accept that, and I suspect that most Americans would agree.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You made a specific claim Cyclo, you said they knew that they would be ruining their banks and the economy but didn't care. You said they knowingly did this.

When you did, I said that I hoped you would have the intellectual honesty to admit that you believe this without supporting evidence. It is a hope that I still hold.

Let's just say I agree with all your rhetoric and hot air to make that easier, so we are now theoretically on the same page about the financial crimes being worse than murder. So I think we should lock some of these criminals that you are talking about. So what are their names, and what evidence do you have about their crimes?

(Cue more rhetoric that does nothing at all to suppor your original claim)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You made a specific claim Cyclo, you said they knew that they would be ruining their banks and the economy but didn't care. You said they knowingly did this.

Yes, and I believe this is true. The evidence lies in the fact that these executives KNEW that they were massively over-leveraging their holdings, and that a drop in the market could overwhelm the industry. As I said earlier, it doesn't take a genius to figure these things out. And it's foolish to assume that they didn't; these guys are supposed to be the best in the world at financial transactions and risk management, and you would have us believe that they couldn't see what people like me and DLowan could see? C'mon.

There were rumblings about it as early as 2005. But everyone was making so much money... as Thomas pointed out earlier, it wasn't a failure of economics or economic theory that led to the crisis. It was a conscious desire to ignore accepted economic theory that did. And many economists (such as DeLong and the Krug) did warn about it for years, and were pilloried by the Bulls for doing so. I cannot accept your contention that those who were earning millions (in some cases dozens or hundreds of millions) for running these companies over the last decade didn't also know the risks, but just didn't care.

Quote:
When you did, I said that I hoped you would have the intellectual honesty to admit that you believe this without supporting evidence. It is a hope that I still hold.

Let's just say I agree with all your rhetoric and hot air to make that easier, so we are now theoretically on the same page about the financial crimes being worse than murder. So I think we should lock some of these criminals that you are talking about. So what are their names, and what evidence do you have about their crimes?

Can you get off of this bullshit point? I'm not an investigator for the gov't, RG. I don't have access to the evidence you are talking about. But this is a discussion forum, not a court; I don't have to provide you with specific names of people in order to make a compelling case that those in charge of these companies were either completely incompetent at their jobs or they knew the risks they were taking and just didn't care. Which one do you think is more likely?? I specifically called for investigations to uncover the names of the people in these organizations who knew what was happening, not claimed that I knew exactly who did what at what time.

You're asking for a level of proof that is impossible for any private citizen to provide. It's not advancing your argument or countering mine in any way to do so.

I'll repeat, once again, that in instances where companies were making tremendous profits off of activities which they KNEW were illegal, it wasn't an accident. Let's examine a specific point I raised: companies who were improperly reviewing mortgages at a rate which clearly was inappropriate. This has widely been reported on in the news. Are you going to have us believe that those who were running these companies didn't know what was going on?

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Can you get off of this bullshit point? I'm not an investigator for the gov't, RG. I don't have access to the evidence you are talking about.

I don't see why not. It took forever but at least you finally owned up to it.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I hope you at least are honest enough to admit to yourself that you believe this, "firmly", in the complete absence of supporting evidence.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Can you get off of this bullshit point? I'm not an investigator for the gov't, RG. I don't have access to the evidence you are talking about.

I don't see why not. It took forever but at least you finally owned up to it.

I remind you once again that we're not in court. You're not owed that level of evidence in order for my argument to be a perfectly valid one. So, your demand is immaterial, and really just a dodge.

You're relying on semantics because you can't address the actual points I raise. You can't do this because what you are claiming doesn't make any logical sense. Please display a little intellectual honesty yourself here; let's start simply, with the example I gave in the last line of my last post:

Quote:
Let's examine a specific point I raised: companies who were improperly reviewing mortgages at a rate which clearly was inappropriate. This has widely been reported on in the news. Are you going to have us believe that those who were running these companies didn't know what was going on?

I'd love to hear your explanation for how those in charge weren't responsible for unethical or illegal actions taken by their employees. And your explanation for why we shouldn't investigate and prosecute those who knew what was going on.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I remind you once again that we're not in court. You're not owed that level of evidence in order for my argument to be a perfectly valid one. So, your demand is immaterial, and really just a dodge.

I didn't ask for courtroom-caliber evidence, I said you don't have any evidence. And that is self-evident.

Quote:
You're relying on semantics because you can't address the actual points I raise.

That's false. You made claims, said I was foolish for not agreeing with them and I told you that I don't believe them because you have no evidence for them. And this is plainly true, you don't. You just "believe" that there's all this crime under the hood that you "know" exists, but just can't happen to produce a shred of evidence for (calling that a bullshit point and complaining about the standards of the evidence that are being required when in reality you haven't produced anything of any standard).

I simply don't want to waste my time on the rants that you are deflecting this simple truth with, but if you happen to think there's a salient point you would like me to address I can try.

Quote:
You can't do this because what you are claiming doesn't make any logical sense.

Oh yeah? Precisely what am I claiming that doesn't make logical sense. I think you just like the way this sounds.

Quote:
Please display a little intellectual honesty yourself here...

Parrot. What am I being intellectually dishonest about? Doesn't have to be "courtroom" stuff mind you. But when you make claims you should at least be able to try to substantiate them.

Quote:
let's start simply, with the example I gave in the last line of my last post:

Quote:
Let's examine a specific point I raised: companies who were improperly reviewing mortgages at a rate which clearly was inappropriate. This has widely been reported on in the news. Are you going to have us believe that those who were running these companies didn't know what was going on?

I don't think you understand how this works. You made a specific claim that I asked you to substantiate. And your attempt to do so is to ask me to try to make the case that they did not know, to prove the negative of your claim?

You are awful ironic when you lecture me about intellectual honesty Cyclo. Maybe you don't even remember what it was you were claiming then so I will refresh your memory:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I firmly believe that a huge percentage of the bankers involved knew what they were doing would end in massive collapse for their own banks, and were betting on being bailed out - or on being retired comfortably with their fortune no matter what happened.

You told me I was "foolish" for not believing this, and all I asked you for was some evidence. And you have produced precisely none, just more bad arguing like this "point", that you are actually highlighting out of the mix.

Quote:
I'd love to hear your explanation for how those in charge weren't responsible for unethical or illegal actions taken by their employees. And your explanation for why we shouldn't investigate and prosecute those who knew what was going on.

I'm sure you would Cyclo. I'm sure you would like me to take on the task of arguing the negative of your claim, and would like to pass this off as "evidence" or "arguments" that I am ignoring. But let's face it, what you had to highlight as your big case for your claim is just a request for me to prove the negative of your claim. That is not evidence, and I reiterate that you have none to give. I'm moving on then unless this changes.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
There is a funny comment on the internet about Kanye West appearing at the New York protest "all majestic and stuff....I love it when he walks around stonefaced."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What a bunch of BS. You won't discuss the specifics of anything because you can't do so. That's all I need to see to decide the validity of your argument is bogus.

Re: the mortgage fraud thing, it's been so widely reported that I didn't think I needed to hold your hand and show you evidence. I mean, widely reported. Why don't you educate yourself a bit and come back?

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/01/140121091/goldman-agrees-to-halt-mortgage-robo-signing

Your argument that 'nobody knew' that they were taking gigantic risks is unbelievable on a variety of levels. Your semantics games are uninteresting to me. I gotta tell you, if you wonder why people think you're an apologist for the banks and financial industry, you oughta try reading your own posts and look at the lengths you'll go to in order to avoid discussing specific instances - and the assurances YOU make, with no knowledge, that people had no idea what the effects of their actions would be.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 02:43 pm
Not really a good article to C&P, but it's full of charts to discuss.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wall-street-protesters-are-so-angry-about-2011-10?op=1

Here's one:

http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4e9460a6ecad04797a00000a-547/in-fact-income-inequality-has-gotten-so-extreme-here-that-the-us-now-ranks-93rd-in-the-world-in-income-equality-chinas-ahead-of-us-so-is-india-so-is-iran.jpg
Quote:
In fact, income inequality has gotten so extreme here that the US now ranks 93rd in the world in "income equality." China's ahead of us. So is India. So is Iran.

A
R
T
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 03:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I gotta tell you, if you wonder why people think you're an apologist for the banks and financial industry, you oughta try reading your own posts and look at the lengths you'll go to in order to avoid discussing specific instances - and the assurances YOU make, with no knowledge, that people had no idea what the effects of their actions would be.

Change a few words here and there and you're describing yourself, Cy.

]I gotta tell you, if you wonder why people think you're an apologist for the US and its terrorist nature, you oughta try reading your own posts and look at the lengths you'll go to in order to avoid discussing specific instances - and the assurances YOU make, with, I'm afraid to say enough knowledge, that people know you're just making things up as you go along.
0 Replies

TheLeapist

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 03:58 pm
@JPB,
I think it basically boils down to these people just wanting the rich to hand them some money or something? It's very difficult fully comprehend what exactly it is that they want.

The cameras they're using, the clothes their wearing, the transportation they used to get there all are so readily available because of capitalism.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:14 pm
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-12/wall-street-sees-no-exit-from-financial-woes-as-bankers-fret.html

This is absolutely the finest article I've read on this subject in a long, long time, in terms of the results one would hope to see from the crisis actually beginning to affect the same assholes who caused it in the first place.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:10 pm
Pay raises for the highest performing "job creators" in a nutshell. Meanwhile unemployment hovers over 9%.

Quote:

Cozy relationships and ‘peer benchmarking’ send CEOs’ pay soaring

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — As the board of Amgen convened at the company’s headquarters in March, chief executive Kevin W. Sharer seemed an unlikely candidate for a raise.

Shareholders at the company, one of the nation’s largest biotech firms, had lost 3 percent on their investment in 2010 and 7 percent over the past five years. The company had been forced to close or shrink plants, trimming the workforce from 20,100 to 17,400. And Sharer, a 63-year-old former Navy engineer, was already earning lots of money — about $15 million in the previous year, plus such perks as two corporate jets.

The board decided to give Sharer more. It boosted his compensation to $21 million annually, a 37 percent increase, according to the company reports.

Why?

The company board agreed to pay Sharer more than most chief executives in the industry — with a compensation “value closer to the 75th percentile of the peer group,” according to a 2011 regulatory filing.

This is how it’s done in corporate America. At Amgen and at the vast majority of large U.S. companies, boards aim to pay their executives at levels equal to or above the median for executives at similar companies.

The idea behind setting executive pay this way, known as “peer benchmarking,” is to keep talented bosses from leaving...

full article

A
R
Talented...?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
powerful stuff:

Quote:
“We have too many regulations stopping democracy and not enough regulations stopping Wall Street from misbehaving,” Stiglitz, an economics professor at Columbia University, told protesters the next day. “We are bearing the cost of their misdeeds. There’s a system where we’ve socialized losses and privatized gains. That’s not capitalism.”

A
R
T
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:15 pm
Got this email today:
Quote:

Hundreds of #Occupy events are happening across the country this Saturday, October 15th.  As you're probably aware, the number one complaint amongst the various protesters has been overwhelming, economically-crushing, student loan debt.  This is a moment in history for all of us to make our voices heard and to draw even greater attention to the ever-growing crisis of student loan debt.

I'm seriously thinking of attending Saturday.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:48 pm
@failures art,
That would encapsulate my views.

Except I think that IS capitalism, actually.
0 Replies