Ossobuco's eyes

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:59 pm
truth
When I moved into this house in 1976 (first owner), it suddenly became rife with roaches. Couldn't understand why. Then someone suggested bay leaves. Never had a single roach since then. So great not to have to use poison in the house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 11:08 pm
I presume eucalyptus leaves would work too, but then who wants eucalyptus flour...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:32 pm
truth
Right, I don't like the smell of Vick's vaporub. Prefer roaches if they behave like good borders.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
So back to the eyes -

Big improvement in my left eye vision today, eight days post the long second surgery. Wheeeeeewwww. Girl is happy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
Great news, osso. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:47 pm
CI, I've meant to ask you about your left eye but have been highly self preoccupied. The DMV lets you drive? I guess they give you a driving test and you can pass it by using right eye, eh? How did you lose the vision and was it a hard time getting used to it?

My left eye has been in the legally blind range for a few months while I waited for the surgery - I could see with it, but not as well as required, though they did extend my license because of the right eye being ok. This business this last week has been on another order than that I experienced before, as in Nada, mere fuzzballs in bright light. Yuck.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:48 pm
truth
Osso, let me understand you, in eight days you're going to have the catarak removed from your right eye? And why do you say it will be a LONG operation. Is there an anticipated complication that I've forgotten?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 09:59 pm
JL, you're all confused.. did I do that?

The cataract was removed in the first surgery, back on the 15th. I had a bad reaction to that surgery, with a little piece of my old eye lens going off back to the eye hinterland.
Had a second surgery, rush rush to hundreds of miles south, because of staggeringly high eye pressure, and that was now eight days ago, on Sunday morning, the eighteenth.

The eye pressure has pretty much, but not completely, stayed down since surgery two, but the vision has been pretty cloudy all this time, since almost four hours of surgery brings a lot of inflammation, and so on, plus lots of glare.

So, now, today, the vision is measurably better. Things are good. (Not to get all cocky about this, but healing seems to be going on...) Thus, you see me happy...

(One of my old friends used to exclaim, "have you ever seen me happy?") In this case, I'm really happy.

(On the right eye, it'll need cataract surgery too, but not for a bit - sometime later this year.) I might wait until after the a2k san francisco meet in early april. The second surgeon says the same thing is unlikely to happen twice. (heh!) I'm going to worry about all that later. (signed, Scarlett O'Hara).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:06 pm
My right eye, thankfully, is pretty good, so I get to drive. My left eye has been "legally" blind (lazy eye) since childhood, so I've gotten used to it. When I close my right eye, I can see things, but really have great difficulty. When I was in grade school, the doctor patched my right eye to see if it would improve my left eye, but it became too dangerous crossing streets, and unable to read for school work. The US Air Force let me enlist with my bad eye. It's good enough to be able to see the effects of 3D movies, but bad enough that my vision would be nil without my right eye.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:13 pm
CI, my left eye has always been way worse too. Amblyphobia or some such name they give to the disparity in vision between the two eyes. I am glad the left one was the center of all this present attention, I'd probably be berzerk if it had been my best eye.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:11 pm
truth
My left eye has the peculiarity of adjusting to light much slower than my right. When I step outside in the sunlight, it's like coming out of a movie matinee into the blinding light. But not my right eye. I asked my opthamologist to give me an understanding of what is happening. He just brushed it off as some kind of ideopathic quirk. So I just live with it.
By the way, since we're sharing info about ailments, my right shoulder which will someday undergo surgery has hurt for over a year due to inflammation (rotator cuff tear), but the pain has all gone. Someone suggested the anti-inflammation spices/foods, tumeric and ginger. I've been eating a lot lately, yellow rice (brown rice with tumeric) and crystallized ginger. The latter is delicious. And the inflammation/pain is gone, even better than after a round of acupuncture. Osso, you might try this form of ginger for the inflammation in your eye. There's a lot of sugar in it, but I soak the bits of ginger in warm water to get rid of some of the surface sugar.
Good night all, I'm pleasantly sleepy all of a sudden.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:36 pm
Sounds delicious...

both sleep and turmeric/ginger.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 11:44 pm
We used to eat candied ginger when we were kids all the time. I still love ginger, and always put it on fish when my wife serves it. She hates ginger. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:08 am
Mornin' all.

Dear Scarlett - it was nice to hear from you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
Mornin', ehBeth!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:43 am
Is there a good chinese restaurant around, ossoB?
I'm addicted to the ginger/garlic/green onion/sesame oil many of them offer with their simple chicken dishes.

mmmmmmmmmm, ginger
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:45 am
Hey, some very good news, Osso! Yay!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 11:48 am
I have two kinds of ginger in my refrigerator, at hand... crystallized and pickled. Plus turmeric in my spice drawer.
(This reminds me of those "cook from what's in fridge" threads...)

The inflammation is fading in any case, a big relief.

Interesting to hear, Jl, that ginger/turmeric are helping your shoulder..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 03:06 pm
truth
Osso, I reported the "coincidence" of my beginning to consume fairly large amounts of "candied" ginger and tumeric and the decline of my shoulder pain. His comment was merely "whatever works". He was suggesting that while there is no proven medical causality it COULD be the cause of my loss of pain. YOUR decline in pain was expected by your doctors. Right?
Ebeth. Yeah. Green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, would make a dead vulture delectable.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 03:07 pm
Go Osso's Eyes!
0 Replies