Is dating someone who's a different race okay?

aidan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:18 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The mother was telling her daughter to date a boy who looked like her, and other members of the family--i.e. someone of the same skin color, a Caucasian. That does not mean that the mother views members of other racial groups as possessing traits, attributes, or capacities that she views as being inferior or undesirable in any way.
She may be visually discriminating on the basis of skin color--simply recognizing the fact that there perceivable differences in skin color--but that does not mean she is discriminatory in the sense of being biased and racist. There are many reasons that parents want their children to date someone from racial/cultural/ethnic/religious groups similar to themselves
and you lack substantial information to conclude whether or not this woman is a racist.

Does it not? It seems to me that she's decided, on the basis of this boy's skin tone alone, that he'd not be a partner she'd desire for her daughter to have. How can she have come to this conclusion simply by having viewed the color of his skin unless she has preconceived notions about what having that particular color of skin implies or means (in her mind) about this young man?

If someone said to me, 'I don't want my daughter to date your son because his skin is darker than hers' I think I'd have to think, 'Oh, in her mind, having dark skin implies something negative - certainly not positive- because if it did imply something positive in her mind, she'd then probably say something like, 'I'm so happy or excited that my daughter has decided to date your son.'

This girl's mother has found this young man an undesireable partner for her daughter based solely on the color of his skin. And to ascribe it to simple difference and discomfort with that is disingenuous because I think we can probably assume it's not because she thinks her daughter is inferior to the boy, don't you? In her mind, it plays out the other way: the boy's not up to par for her daughter. Why? Because he's black. It has to be that. Apparently the boy is well nigh perfect in every other way.
Let's call a spade a spade - and a racist attitude a racist attitude.

Give me a break....if someone said this **** about my son I'd say, '**** 'em'- if the daughter's a worthwhile person, go for it - but stay away from that denigrating asshole mother.' Excuse my language, but if anyone EVER belittled my children, finding them less than or undesireable as a partner for their child, solely on the basis of their skin color - I'd be giving it with both barrels.
How the hell is someone gonna determine that someone is not desireable based on the color of his skin unless she's a racist?
Quote:

Racism does exist, and the U.S. has a rather long history of racial discrimination, and a good deal of racist thinking and racial animosity still exists in this country. Inter-racial dating, while more common than it was several decades ago, is still not widely practiced. So, inter-racial couples still tend to attract notice, and that would be very true in the enclosed environment of a high school, particularly a high school which is predominantly of one race. And some of the attention that the inter-racial couple attracts is going to be negative and that can generate behaviors which could be very unpleasant, or nasty, or even threatening, toward one or both members of that couple. The inter-racial couple could experience things as mild as stares or remarks, or more severe forms of bullying or social ostracism, or even threats to their security and acts of violence. Hate crimes still occur here. What parent of a high school student might not realistically consider the possible consequences to their child of an inter-racial relationship? And is it really fair, or even accurate, to label the parent who might be concerned about possible harm to their child a "racist"? I really don't think so.

This sounds like 1960's Alabama. Where's this still going on then? I was interracially dating in North Carolina in the 1980's and I never experienced any of this. I've lived with an interracial family - black husband and two interracial kids in Maine, New York, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina and England - and I've never experienced any of this. My kids haven't either - in their schools or neighborhoods.
I've taught in high schools in Maine, New Jersey, New York and North Carolina and I've never noticed anything this drastic when a black person dates a white person.
In fact, the year I graduated from highschool, the president of my senior class was a black boy (elected by the student body) who was going out with a white girl. And that was in New Jersey thirty years ago.

You're painting an unrealistically grim picture in an attempt to justify this mother's discomfort with race-mixing so you can call it something other than racism and have it seem based on something other than prejudice and bias.

Quote:
While the mother of the white girl simply said, "Can't you find some nice white boys?", the mother of the African American boy might be very worried about her son's welfare if he became involved in such a relationship and she might actively pressure him against it, and his African American peers might be angry and resentful that he was abandoning his own racial group. There could be strong feelings of anxiety, suspicion, anger, and possibly even racism, operating within both racial groups, and not just one of them, toward this inter-racial couple. And that can put additional stress and conflict into the lives of this young inter-racial couple. Again, what concerned parent would not prefer that their child's life not be complicated by such factors, particularly while they are still in high school? Does this necessarily make them racists? I think not

Again, this sounds to me like you're living in Alabama or Mississippi in the 1960's. Gracie and this young man and young woman live in California in 2011. Give me a break...let's paint a more realistic picture and give credit where credit is due.
And the credit isn't due to this mother.
It should go to the young people of today who are MUCH more accepting of a multicultural society and many of the people in the US who, thank God, have moved on.
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:23 pm
@firefly,
Yea. I guess so. Makes sense. He's still a pain in the butt though. Hopefully he backs off in a year or 2. For now I guess I'll have to deal or be really sneaky. Razz

I get parents being protective (even though its annoying) but why cant parents just be honest about it. Like, if Krys' mom, Mrs. Paige (I call her Mrs.(Krystal's last name, but I dont wanna put Krys' full name on the forum) was worried about how people would treat Krystal because of her dating Ty, then she could of just told her. My dad does stuff like that with me all the time. I don't know if that's why Mrs. Paige said what she did but if that is she could have just said that. Krystal would've understood that I think.

I dont think Krystal talked to her mom again about Ty since Mrs.Paige said what she did. Krys doesnt think her mom's racist (I was the one who thought it was a racist comment, not that Mrs.Paige was a racist person) but she was still pissed with her mom. I dont think she's gonna talk to her mom again about it. I wouldnt. Talking to your parents just complicates stuff. They'll just end up getting in a bigger argument.

I think your idea's about Mrs.Paige could be right. She's a nice person and I dont think she's racist but I dont know why she's worried or doesnt want Ty to date Krystal. It would be intresting to know but I really dont think Krys' gonna talk to her mom about it again. If she does it'll probably be because they're arguing. Krystal's doing what she wants anyway. What Mrs.Paige says really doesnt matter. I think that's kinda a good thing, right?
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Gracie, this is a tangent to your thread, but hey, it's had many already!

I was born in and lived off and on for decades in Los Angeles. Nearing age 60, I moved to a small coastal city in northern california. I was stunned by how white it was/is. I had made my decision to move there fairly fast and so didn't know the area that well.

By white, I mean real white (which I happen to be myself). Not many hispanics. Extremely few asian americans. Miniscule number of african americans. There is a sizeable native american population, and that would be my guess as the next biggest number to white. This took getting used to, just the paleness itself, but also the lack of, er, what to call it, cultural oomph, sizzle, verve.

My niece, the person I love most in the world, has an irish american father and her mother was from a coastal country in Africa. She visited me up north several years in a row for days or a week or more at a time. We are very dear to each other and fairly expressive of this. She helped me out, in that I am clumsy getting around because of eye problems and she would make sure I saw a curb coming, that sort of thing. Sometimes we held on for a short stretch of time when we were out walking, just because we were so glad to get to talk again. We sometimes got treated a little funny - but maybe we were just interesting - older white woman, beautiful black teen, hugging. Or, maybe racist stuff. But my strongest memory was of a time I wasn't with her.

My business partner had a wonderful doberman dog, gorgeous and sweet dog, and one of my niece's efforts to be part of our gallery/design firm for her visit was to walk the dog. She was probably thirteen then, or maybe twelve. She came back and told us that some guy in a red truck had followed her and was saying dirty things to her. Even she knew that he thought she must be a hooker.
Well, that was chilling.

That is a point toward Firefly's view in that this is just one example of some real scum out there driving around or otherwise existing. Boy, did I feel protective of my niece. She's grown up now and strong in many ways. Took a guy to court and won re an assault (no, not rape) at a friend's house. I am so proud.

Now I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and it has a more diverse population, so I'm more comfortable, but not as comfortable re diversity as I was back in LA.

Hi Aunt Osso! Mr. Green Mr. Green

I dont really care if we get a little off topic every now and then as long as we dont talk about marriage. Laughing

Yeah, Northern California is really white and where I live is really boring. I'd like to move when Im older too. I have great friends here but I like diversity too. I like to be around tons of diff people with different personalities and cultures and accents and everything. Its fun and intresting, that's why I have soo many different types pf friends. I can get along with pretty much anybody, so different is awesome. I love going to Tyler's house especially! His parents are from Louisiana and the accent is hilarious! His dad's a great storyteller too. He tells all these long stories about his childhood and stuff and his accent is just the icing on the cake! Laughing Tyler's family is really cool, I love visiting them.

But anyway, Im babbling again! Smile That's cool that you and your nice are soo close. Its sweet that she helps you since your eyes arent soo good. What's wrong with them? You've probably metioned it in some posts already huh? I've gotta keep up. Anyway, Im hoping you guys were just interesting and that caused the attention.

How could the jerk have thought she was a hooker? She was like 12 or 13 right? Rolling Eyes Idiot! And good for her winning in court! Sorry about the assault though. Was the assault because of a racist person too?
GracieGirl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:36 pm
@Pemerson,
Awesome Pemerson!

You're family sounds beautiful!
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:37 pm
@roger,
Roger noooo!! Stop leaving Eeyore! You're not you without him! Laughing

Edit: Hey, how come when I click on your avatar and go to your profile I see Eeyore but on the threads your just highlighter pink?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:38 pm
...to my view the worst defence against racism is precisely on stating that the differences between races start and end on skin colour, hair, or facial form... I mean is just nonsensical to say the least...just think on it when we turn aside the inconvenience, to speak on animals and make an honest comparison regarding races... be it dogs, cats, pigs, or cows, or even horses...far better job instead would be to speak on how those differences are so minimal regarding the DNA structure on Homo Sapiens that the whole crap of superiority of one upon another does n´t fall short of being straight ridiculous...I believe races are different to some minimal extent, but also believe, that they are complementary at large...that the weak points of one race are the strong points of another and conversely, as also that such weaknesses on one side or in the other are all in all comparatively irrelevant for any functional measuring purposes...and that is the best honest defence I can think of against racism !
(...insisting in any other "softer" approach ends up resulting backwards...)
Eorl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 11:59 pm
@aidan,
YES! exactly. What Aidan said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:06 am
@GracieGirl,
I didn't know he was still in profile, but he's just not quite ready to come back from vacation. I was very surprised when you said he was back, but didn't want anyone to think I didn't know where my own purple donkey was.

I'll tell him you were asking. That should make him feel as much better as anything would.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:17 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
The problem with that philosophy is that it assumes some definitive traits do exist. Races don't exist, except in our heads. Again I refer you to The Race Myth article. Dog BREEDS are created, mostly by us, by selectively breeding for a given characteristic. They are all decendents of wolves, just as all humans have common ancestors too. Which "race" were we first then?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:30 am
@Eorl,
wow, kk...then just how do we get to species divergence eh ???
...forget farm animals or even pets...in nature are there not different racial traits in between the same species ?
Or is that a matter on how you chose to enlarge or reduce the very meaning of species in turn ?
Is this about some sort of political word game ? or do you have anything more substantial ? being an ignorant I am all ears here...
Eorl

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:16 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
From wiki again: "While biological scientists sometimes use the concept of race to make practical distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, others in the scientific community suggest that the idea of race is often used by the general public[5] in a naive[6] or simplistic way. Among humans, race has no taxonomic significance; all people belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens"

Note the reference to "fuzzy sets" meaning there are no definite biological differences.

More to the point, did you read the article? What did you make of it? When I first of The Race Myth, I was surprised, as, like most people in my culture, I assumed there were minor defining traits of racial distinction, such as vulnerability to sickle cell ameomia(?) for example. I was wrong. I like to learn. You're welcome to join me or not, as you wish.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 09:01 am
@Pamela Rosa,
The out and out racist had just join this thread how nice for all of us<not>.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 09:06 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
The out and out racist had just join this thread how nice for all of us<not>.
Bill, will u be forthcoming soon
with your evidence of the source those "rights" that u alleged ??

I am looking forward to that.

David
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 09:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David just go to her account page and read a sample of her postings and then come back and tell me she is not an out and out no question about it racist of the worst kind or not.

I am looking forward to you sharing your views on this "lady" after doing so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:18 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
David just go to her account page and read a sample of her postings
and then come back and tell me she is not an out and out no question about it racist of the worst kind or not.

I am looking forward to you sharing your views on this "lady" after doing so.
No, no. . . I was referring to the information u gave me qua the rights of children.

David
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:26 am
@GracieGirl,
On the guy thinking she was a hooker, that was all of our instincts (business partner, niece, me), but of course we didn't really know his mind. Clearly a scary show of biased behavior though.

On the assault, I wasn't there, but I think race was not an element in that situation.

On my eyes, long and boring story, and there are threads..
Eyes somewhat better now, one of them much better.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 11:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
No, no. . . I was referring to the information u gave me qua the rights of children

For a lawyer to ask for a run down of the commons and statutes laws concerning parents having control over their children is similar to a mathematician asking for proof that the sum of all the angles in a plain geometry triangle always equal 180 degrees and implying that there is some question about that being true.

What give with you David?

Hell what law school would not cover such a subject in the first year or so?
BillRM

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 12:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Here is your information.......but why a lawyer would need it is beyond my understanding.

http://www.forensic-evidence.com/site/Police/school_4th.html

The common law did not confer many rights on minors. As the Court said elsewhere, “Traditionally, at common law, and still today, unemancipated minors lack some of the most fundamental rights of self-determination–including even the right of liberty in its narrow sense, i.e., the right to come and go at will. They are subject, even as to their physical freedom, to the control of their parents or guardians. When parents place minor children in private schools for their education, the teachers and administrators of those schools stand in loco parentis over the children entrusted to them. In fact, the tutor or schoolmaster is the very prototype of that status.” Vernonia School District 47J v. Acton, 515 U.S. 646, 654 (1995). And the power exercised by parents or by those who stand in their place (in loco parentis), like school officials, is not subject to the Fourth Amendment.

firefly

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:54 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Again, this sounds to me like you're living in Alabama or Mississippi in the 1960's. Gracie and this young man and young woman live in California in 2011.

Racism, and racist attitudes were never confined to just the deep South in the U.S., they were just more obvious in that neck of the woods. And laws prohibiting inter-racial marriage in the U.S. were not completely struck down until 1967, which really isn't all that long ago.
While inter-racial dating is more common than it once was, and is generally viewed far more favorably than it once was, it still isn't very frequent, and it still can generate negative responses and reactions from others which can affect the couple involved--particularly in a high school. Identity issues are very prominent in that age group and there are strong peer pressures toward conformity, and peers subject each other to all sorts of judgments and forms of harassment, sometimes subtle, sometimes quite blatant. Even in racially mixed or racially diverse high schools, students tend to segregate themselves in the cafeterias by racial groups--they tend to congregate with their own racial group.
That does suggest that they tend to be more comfortable with what is most familiar to them and with people who are most like them. Race isn't just a matter of complexion color, racial groups in high school share common cultural influences, common experiences, they may simply have more in common with each other than they do with students from other racial groups, and just as they wish to sit with their own group in the cafeteria, they may wish to date within their group. Such a choice isn't necessarily "racist", it's based on a variety of factors which determine social comfort.

And, while Gracie does live in California, a 2006 report by the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University found that California has the most segregated schools in the country--meaning that the races are not mingling all that much in the schools, possibly due to differences in income levels affecting residential patterns, or possibly due to racial groups choosing to cluster together in certain residential areas, or a combination of both. And Gracie has told us that the school she attends is overwhelmingly white, so an inter-racial couple in that environment is going to be unusual and is going to get noticed. And that does add a layer of social stress to their lives that a racially homogeneous couple might not experience. And Gracie has told us that this couple is already getting some reactions, like stares or remarks.

There seems to be an assumption that's it's mainly the white parents who would object to their child dating someone who is black, probably because it is assumed that the whites are racist and are viewing the black child as somehow inferior or undesirable for their child to date. In fact, it is the black parents who are far more likely to be resistant to their child dating someone of another race.
Quote:
Racial Differences in Interdating Patterns

But the Gallup survey also found that teens thought some interracial couples—always involving a black partner—faced potentially greater friction from their respective racial and ethnic groups about their relationships. For example, while no more than 11 percent of the teens surveyed thought a white-and-Hispanic or white-and-Asian couple would be ostracized by their respective racial or ethnic groups, about one-quarter of those surveyed said that a white and a black student dating each other would face problems from other white or black students in school.

Given these figures, it's not surprising that Gallup reported that black students faced the highest rates of resistance from their parents over interracial dating of any group surveyed. Among students who had dated interracially, at least 90 percent each of white, Hispanic, or Asian students said their parents acquiesced to their relationship. But only 59 percent of black students who had interdated said their parents were comfortable with their dating. Ludwig says such parental wariness is not unusual, given blacks' dimmer view of the state of U.S. race relations.

"People's view of how things are going in terms of race relations in this country is really distinctively colored by their race," he says. "The experience of living as a black person and as a white person in this country is quite different, despite substantial progress since the 1960s."
http://www.prb.org/Articles/2005/USAttitudesTowardInterracialDatingAreLiberalizing.aspx

I'm not sure I'd view those black parents as being racist because they resist the idea of their children dating outside of their own racial group. Their attitudes may well be based on cultural issues rather than any traits or innate characteristics they are attributing to other racial groups.

I agree with you that young people are much more accepting of multicultural relationships than previous generations, and that's a good thing. But racial tensions, particularly black/white tensions are far from resolved, and it's better to be realistic about that, and address it, than to claim it's all behind us. If anything, I think that Obama's election has made some of those tensions more evident because I think some of the antagonism directed at him clearly smacks of racism. And inter-racial dating, particularly black/white dating, can still stir up strong feelings in both racial groups that can make life more difficult for 2 high school students, particularly in an almost all white school. And that probably would not be the case if they were a little older and on a college campus, simply because there is less scrutiny in that type of environment.

I'm undecided about the mother in Gracie's opening post. She didn't object to her daughter having this boy for a friend, her concern surfaced with the idea of dating, and that's why I'm inclined to see that concern as possibly due to feelings that her daughter, or the boy, might suffer negative social repercussions if they dated. Or that her daughter wanted to do something that would turn out to be needlessly complicated. Maybe this daughter is fairly rebellious and is deliberately trying to provoke her mother by doing something relatively unconventional in that particular school. If that's true, the mother's remarks would simply be a way of saying, "Can't you just behave like everyone else for a change?" Clearly, this mother does not dislike the boy involved, she knows him, and she's likely not making negative stereotyped assumptions about him based on skin color or race, and that's why I'm not jumping to the conclusion she's racist. I think her comments may reflect something about the mother/daughter relationship in this case rather than her feelings about another racial group.