Dragon Slayer vs Ozzinator in the South Pacific

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:45 am
@Roberta,
I have to agree with Roberta here. There's no one left that I'm rooting for, but I will watch on Sunday to see how it all ends up.

I'm hoping for an upset of sorts that turns the game on it's head, and to see if any new stuff comes out in the reunion.
Irishk

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 09:45 am
@Reyn,
Edna - Ponderosa Part 1

Edna - Ponderosa Part 2

Unseen footage:

Brandon: I'm really happy with what's going on now.

Coach: I will not fall to the lying tongue. I've seen the true path. (lol)

Albert: It was like taking a right hook to the jaw!

Brandon: I'm feeling very vulnerable.

Rick: Gotta keep my inside voice inside.

Edna enjoys Ozzy's 'Pleasure Dome'

Sophie: I would still love to go to the end with Albert.

Edna: The Day After

Coach: I will snatch them up and gobble them one by one!
Reyn

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 05:52 pm
@Irishk,
Thank you, Kay, for the links!
Irishk

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 10:29 am
@Reyn,
You're welcome Smile I thought some of Coach's comments were hilarious (given what we know) and I hope if we see him in the F3 tonight, the jury holds his feet to the fire.

You and your Mrs. might enjoy this little blurb in which Jeff tells us how he would play the game...and win it!

Survivor's Jeff Probst: How I Would Win the Game

Dec 15, 2011 09:34 PM ET
by Lindsay Silberman

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Content/111212/News/4_thurs/111215survivor_jeffprobst1.jpg

The finale of Survivor: South Pacific airs this Sunday, and in reflecting on the season, we're feeling like the franchise is getting a bit stale. So we began to imagine what a "Celebrity" Survivor would be like.

Would it be the train wreck that I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here so quickly became? Or perhaps it would have a more successful run, like Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice, now approaching its sixth season. Either way, we'd want to see Jeff Probst in the competition, rather than hosting it — and then, we'd place our bets on him.

As the host of Survivor for the past 11 years, Probst has traveled to 16 different countries, presented checks to 22 winners, and witnessed over 500 competitions. At this point, we figure he has a foolproof strategy to win the game. So we decided to ask him about it.

Check out Probst's six-point plan for taking Survivor's million-dollar prize:

1. Read people. I think I'm a pretty good read of people. That really subtle read of the competitors from moment to moment is crucial.

2. Stay involved. I would play the game in a way that would keep me in the mix without being in the line of fire. I would always want to know what's going on.

3. Avoid laying low. I think staying under the radar makes it really hard to win the game.

4. Keep the vets. I would not get rid of them. I would never get rid of Ozzy early, ever! That guy is phenomenal on the beach. But given the choice, I would take Boston Rob over Ozzy. Rob can do everything. He can do puzzles, he can do challenges, he can build your shelter, and he can play the social game. Just playing the odds, I would take a strong vet as far as I could because I'm pretty sure they're going to help me get further.

5. Then, vote them off. All you have to do is use those guys until you don't need them anymore, and then cut them loose. (But the inherent risk is that if you let them stay, they may cut you before you cut them).

6. Make a big move. I'd be very mindful of when I made my personal move. I always say to people before the game: the people who win make at least one big, risky move. The only way to have a shot is to go for the win, and going for the win means it's a do or die situation. The players who I consider my favorite had the balls to make a huge move, knowing it could absolutely fail and get them voted out that night. But often, it's what gets them to the end.

The finale of Survivor: South Pacific airs on Sunday at 8/7c on CBS.

Link
Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 10:51 am
@Irishk,
Quote:

6. Make a big move. I'd be very mindful of when I made my personal move. I always say to people before the game: the people who win make at least one big, risky move. The only way to have a shot is to go for the win, and going for the win means it's a do or die situation. The players who I consider my favorite had the balls to make a huge move, knowing it could absolutely fail and get them voted out that night. But often, it's what gets them to the end.

Isn't that what Cochran tried to do?

Then, he became (or continued to be) a Pyrrha?
Irishk

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:09 pm
@Reyn,
He did, but as Jeff said, "I'd be very mindful of when I made my personal move". I'm a big fan of risk-takers, I just think he jumped too early -- the catalyst being his fear of the rock pull. It did buy him a few extra days in the game, though, which may have been his goal all along.

I hope Jeff asks him about his 'rather famous' Harvard professor tonight. Dershowitz? I know there are others, but that's the one that first popped into my mind. Wouldn't have figured him to be a huge Survivor fan, though lol.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:01 am
Congrats to Sophie!

Vote breakdown was 6-3-0 with Cochran, Brandon and Jim voting for Coach. Poor Albert, of course, got the goose egg.

Congrats to Ozzy on his Player of the Season win, especially when Jeff said he won by the largest margin in Survivor history.

Poor Brandon. I hope he finds peace, but stays far away from Survivor and all other reality TV.

Not sure what to think about the twists planned for next season. Filming is done (they stayed in Samoa) and Survivor: One World begins on Feb. 15.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 03:54 am
As soon as Ozzy lost the challenge, I knew that Sophie would win. I didn't much care about any of the three in the finals.

Not only should Brandon stay away from Survivor, but I think he should also stay away from his family.

Russell's arrogance is a bit startling considering that he didn't win and never got even one jury vote.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 07:57 am
I also shrugged over the final three. Well at least Sophie can graduate medical school without debt. The money will probably do the most good going to her.

Apparently Brendan's so called Christian family is having a hard time with the fact the he is not as driven by greed as they had prayed for. Must be the Devil's influence. Russell always creeps me out. I truly don't like him or his overblown ego. I will not watch if they do a Russell vs Brendan series.

It was obvious in the final discussions that there were still a lot of bad feelings amongst players and I don't remember that being so obvious in the past. I think this was a particularly uninteresting group of personalities and none of them were very good strategists. I hope for better next time.
Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:36 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I hope for better next time.
I'd about decided to ditch another season of Survivor and watch Project Runway Allstars, instead.

The new twists (if accurate) for OneWorld have me intrigued, though.

a) No returning players (yay).
b) Tribes living together on one beach (never been done before).
c) Tribes divided by gender, men vs. women. Could make for some interesting challenges -- maybe they'd have to bring back that golden medallion thingy as they did in Old vs. Young?
d) No Redemption Island!!!! Finally!
Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:41 am
@Roberta,
Well now we know why Brandon is so screwed up.

I really felt bad for him in the end. No family showing up to support him except Russell to put more salt in the wound.

I suspect that Brandon had such a messed up family that he got involved in alot of trouble in his youth. Found religion that helped him get out of trouble and is now going overboard in the other direction. Wonder about why his wife didn't show up - is she so greedy too that she got mad at him for giving up the idol.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:44 am
@Green Witch,
Me too.
If there had to be a winner, I guess Sophia beats the hell out Coach winning it all or the pathetic whats-his-Albert. Glad the public voted for Ozzie.

I think this is my last season unless they figure out a way to make it really interesting from the start.

Joe(I have no idea what or how)Nation
boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:56 am
@Joe Nation,
They're absolutely going to have to do something to make it worth turning on because this season was soooo boring. The plans for next season sound promising but I've pretty much given up on the show.

I was so surprised when the jury started asking questions to find out that Sophie was mean and condescending, etc. I think Redemption Island could work if it didn't mean taking out all of the good, social stuff, where you get to know the people a bit better but they way they do it just wrecks the show.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:58 am
@Green Witch,
Yeah that bad feeling stuff - the only two that showed any sort of "its a game/not a personal attack" were Cochraine and Edna. All the others were so bitter about it - they weren't any better than the final three.

Their attitude reminds me of the thread about not accepting that you didn't win.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 10:59 am
@Irishk,
I found the final RI duel (hanging on to a pole) to be not up to the usual imaginitive ones they do on RI. Boo to that one!

Irishk wrote:
The new twists (if accurate) for OneWorld have me intrigued, though.

a) No returning players (yay).
b) Tribes living together on one beach (never been done before).
c) Tribes divided by gender, men vs. women. Could make for some interesting challenges -- maybe they'd have to bring back that golden medallion thingy as they did in Old vs. Young?
d) No Redemption Island!!!! Finally!

Agreed on all counts!!!!

Although Sophie was not my favourite player, I wasn't too sad that she won.

I'm going to check out the next season of Survivor.

What I won't do, is watch a whole hour of the reunion show. It was just too snorey. Once the winner is announced, I'll be gone.

Linkat wrote:

Yeah that bad feeling stuff - the only two that showed any sort of "its a game/not a personal attack" were Cochraine and Edna. All the others were so bitter about it - they weren't any better than the final three.

Yes, I noticed that, too, and hats off to those two!!

Still Jim was griping about Cochran...on the reunion show!! Time to get over it, Jim!! Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2021 05:04 pm
So funny I found this skip ahead 7 years and we get a little dog... We name him ozzy ..we did get the name from this guy on survivor not trying to name if after him but more the name fit him and we came up with it from this show. And one of his many nicknames is the Ozzinator.
0 Replies