So, suppose the far right wins

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 10:46 pm
@Josef cv,
Quote:
Oh, you're joking of course, Obama is the most liberal and communistic president in our history.

Josef, "liberal & communistic" all at the one time?
You silly sausage. Smile
Me, I'd say he's somewhere a bit right of centre.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 10:48 pm
@msolga,
I don't mean to sound as naive as I am, about how that works, getting the entire population to vote, even vote thoughtfully. Dare I say it sounds rigged?
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 10:53 pm
@ossobuco,
You can say it sounds rigged, osso.
But, weighing up the various pros & cons (& there are quite a few, certainly) , I think that's the system I prefer.

But I really don't want to side track your thread.
Especially since we've also had Josef & his insights about your communistic president! Razz
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
If you are hungry, voting is not your first interest.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:12 pm
@msolga,
That is all hard for me to believe.
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:17 pm
@ossobuco,
You mean compulsory voting, osso?
It's pretty easy to believe if that is the system you've experienced all your voting life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:19 pm
@msolga,
Oh, well.

I'm really worried re stuff going on here.
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, let's stick to the intention of your thread.
(I'm feeling a bit guilty about this digression.)

What weird stuff to you mean?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:29 pm
@msolga,
You, msolga, can sidetrack any thread of mine anytime, probably good ideas.

Roger, certainly, George ob as well, and some others.

I'm not all against posts against my views - but I don't want this to be a far right forum. Open your own threads.

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Why thank you, osso!
I wanna talk about cats now .... Razz

No I don't.
A fit of silliness just descended upon me from somewhere ....

OK, It's over now.

But it seems a pretty tall order ...
How to persuade people who feel powerless, or disenfranchised, or cynical about the idea of political parties having any relevance or impact on their lives to vote?
How to 1, to change those negative perceptions & get them to the polling booths?

Then: 2, how to educate them about which party it's in their own personal interests to vote for? Especially for those already living in poverty, who would be the most severely affected by the election of a right wing government.

That double whammy sounds a huge, daunting task to me.
Especially as they are being constantly bombarded with information & disinformation on television, especially. (political advertising, Fox News, etc).

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:07 am
@msolga,
Weird, the whole election thing.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 12:19 am
@ossobuco,
All that. In my neighborhood, the polling place is quite far away (don't get me going on Albuquerque). Luckily, we now have mail votes as possibiles.
After west LA, it's like watching some mid asian country's first effort.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 01:32 am
@ossobuco,
At the end of the day Obama's policies are not a lot different from Margaret Thatcher's. These idiots who call him a communist don't understand the word, or how extreme and racist their own thinking is.

PS I voted him down as well, he sounds a bit too much like Josef Fritzel for my liking.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 02:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Reagan was certainly a delusional idiot (and that crap about the fall of the Soviet Union is bullshit--but it's one of O'George's favorite canards). However, i wouldn't equate Reagan with the Tea Party hysterics.
It hurts setanta to hear his idols in the USSR spoken of with less than adulation.
Who do u love more: Comrade Stalin or Mao ????
( maybe a little crush on Pol Pot ?? )

David
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, you really do write such silly nonsense sometimes.
I imagine Setanta will be massively upset when he reads that. Wink
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:56 am
@msolga,
David does write the silliest nonsense, it does give me a giggle though. As for Stanta and the USSR.
http://able2know.org/topic/177168-1
msolga

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:04 am
@izzythepush,
I got as far as the lion & the lamb part & sort of gave up, izzy.
Sorry.
Is that one of those threads in which people argue like mad about interpretations of the scriptures? Smile
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:05 am
@georgeob1,
My statement is easily defensible, and i've defended it before. You just don't like to acknowledge that your idol Ronnie Ray-gun cannot be credited for the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union had committed large numbers of troops to eastern Europe before Reagan was elected, and before he was a candidate. The Soviet Union had invaded Afghanistan before Reagan was elected and before he was a candidate. All of the major weapons systems in the last decade of the Soviet Union--the T72 main battle tank, the MiG25 and MiG29, the Sukoi 25, the last models of the SCUD missiles--were already deployed or in the final stages of testing before Reagan was elected and before he was a candidate. Your entire theory of how Ronnie Ray-gun's wild and irresponsible "defense" spending brought about the fall of the Soviet Union is bullshit, and is not supported by the evidence.

There was already a movement to break away from the Soviet Union in Poland and Hungary before Reagan was elected. More than anything else, the administration of Mikhail Gorbachev with his glasnost and perestroika (those may not be correctly spelled, but i'm not going to any trouble to theck them when i'm pointing out to you what i've pointed out to you before) lead to the demise of the Soviet Union. In the specific case of East Germany, the decision of the Hungarians to open their border with Austria lead to a cascade of events which the East German authorities could not control. That decision was a direct result of the policies of Gorbachev.

Your statement is bullshit because there was no "anticipated" time for the collapse of the Soviet Union. You just want to wax rhapsodic about your hero Ray-gun. Too bad the facts don't support your bullshit.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:15 am
@msolga,
Don't kid yourself, David is nothing to me. His attempts at insult are childish, and in no time at all, he'll be touting himself as the very image of civility.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:17 am
@msolga,
No, that was an English as a second language thread. I suspect that what Izzy was referring to was my last post in that thread:

Setanta wrote:
You fool all of the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't beat communism for the looniest delusions going.