The horror of Sept. 11th, 2001

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's fair.

Kind of like marching season in Ireland.

It's a pity that real tragedy and grief gets misused so because i think that feeling supported in such mass grief is a truly good thing for those who suffer.

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
if you are to argue that lives actually matter and are not just arbitrary statistics then they shouldn't suffer inflation

Cold comfort to those dead Iraqis and their surviving family members. The deaths are deaths, Robert, and whether or not those deaths came directly at the hands of the US, they are people who would not have died but for the US illegal invasion, people who would not have died save for the conditions created by the initial war crime.
wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Your reasonable and intelligent responses make it extremely difficult to disagree with you Smile
My position on Afghanistan is largely based on my perception of the other options at the time. I realize it's a case of the ends justifying the means, but I think it is quite good enough for me to know that Bin Laden is dead as a direct result.
I have no idea what might have happened had we not pursued the course of action we did.
I don't believe it was simply a matter of payback.
I don't intend to sound cavalier about the deaths, it's a really sad deal all around.
Tragic commemorations don't rate high in my book either, although I believe they have their place, within reason.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:52 pm
It is foolish to allege that the United States has had a consistently foreign policy for any period other than the cold war. I can see why Wayne would claim that we supported stability, but in fact, what we supported was any two bit dictator who preached anti-communism loudly enough. Our foreign policy became very self-centered on the basis of anti-communism, and lead us into horrible decisions. We colluded in the overthrow of the Australian Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, for withdrawing Australian troops from Vietnam (even though the withdrawal had been commenced by his predecessor). Of course, the CIA helped organize the coup which threw out Salvador Allende in Chile, resulting in his murder and the establishment of the Pinochet dictatorship. Our motive was superficially ideological, but the only recurrent thread in American foreign policy has been commercial, and American businesses were heavily invested in Chilean mining companies, which Allende intended to nationalize.

And that's the one thread in American foreign policy, which is itself not necessarily unbroken. Joe Pulitzer worked up public sentiment for a war with Spain in 1898, but Congress voted for war because influential constituents saw commercial advantages in ending Spanish influence in the region. We entered Nicaragua and basically took over their government with proxy leadership before the First World War, and openly took over the government in 1927. When Sandino opposed American military domination (and hence, Sandinistas), we sent in the Marines. The last man standing was Samoza, whom Latin America called the last Marine.

For most of our history, apart from commercial considerations, which lead to ventue like Matthew Perry in Japan in 1854, and the invasion of Korea in 1871, our foreign policy has been feeble and exclusionary. The formal expression was the Monroe Doctrine, which we were willing to enforce as long as we didn't look like losing--such as our backing for los Estados Unidos del Rio del Plata (which became Argentina) which melted away when the Royal Navy came to protect Falkland's Islands.

Only the Cold War ever gave real definition to our foreign policy, and "fighting communism" lead to the enormities we committed in the 1950s, -60s and -70s. We appeared to have "won" or at least drawn in Korea, leading to a fatal belief that we could halt the advance of communism militarily. After the Vietnam debacle, with no immediate hot war on our hands, we concentrated on supporting resistance to communism. It was almost always a short-sighted policy, and lead us to idiocies such as supporting bin Laden and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Harry Truman faced a tough election campaign in 1948, and one of his shifts was to recognize Israel, and when he defeated Dewey against all expectation, it became a truism (a false one) of American politics that you could win, or at least bolster your political position by appealing to the Jewish vote with support for Israel. At the same time, we became increasingly dependent on middle eastern petroleum, and were sucked into a foreign policy hell in which we tried to be buddies to Israelis, and still not offend the Saudis.

If there is any real pattern in American foreign policy over the last 200+ years it's that there has been no consistent pattern. Only the cold war and Israel have focused our foreign policy for more than one or two administrations.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:54 pm
@JTT,
Here's a pretty reasonable and realistic article, in case you ever get interested in that sort of thing.

http://middleeast.about.com/od/usmideastpolicy/a/me090424b.htm
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:10 pm
@JTT,
You want me to explain it to you like you are Sarah Palin don't you?

Ok, I'm saying that if different world views were to be metaphorized as competing dishes for a diner to choose from that your main course has presentational issues, the sum of which make your offering unpalatable to the average customer, if you will, in this the marketplace of ideas.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:12 pm
By the way, lest anyone think it is foolish to say we've never had a cnosistent foreign policy, keep in mind that we haven't needed one. Washington warned against "foreign entanglements," and our experience with France seemed to bear him out. France was our one consistent ally--or so it seemed--during and after the revolution. Holland was England's commercial rival, and their support was only commerical. Spain fought the English in yet another naval war, because their traditional naval ally, France, was fighting England. But when the National Convention executed Louis XVI, we entered into a trade treaty with England, which lead to the "Quasi-War" with France. French privateers and warships attacked American shipping, and the newly fledged United States Navy took the war to the enemy in the Caribbean, with a great deal of success. Eventully the Royal Navy sent ships to join our fleet, and Napoleon having taken power, took a more conciliatory attitude toward the United States, so that war ended in 1800.

But we had become suspicious, and justifiably so. When Napoleon took the Spanish throne for his brother (stupid, stupid, stupid) and lost that valuable ally, he attempted to interfer with our shipping with the Milan Decree. England riposted with the orders in council. However, Napoleon wised up and withdrew the Milan Decree, and England didn't see the light soon enough. So, in 1812, we went to war with our erstwhile English ally, much to the delight of our former French enemy. Little wonder that so many Americans took to heart Washington's warning.

So, Americans turned inward. We had seemingly unlimited land, we had all the material resources we could want, and if foreigners wanted anything from us, they could come to us and buy it, or invest in our country (as they have done throughout our history). Most Americans were content to stay our of foreign affairs, an unintended consequence of which was that commercial interests had the ear of Congress over foreign affairs, while most Americans simply ignored the existence of the rest of the world.

Only the Second World War changed that--and what we've had since has been a comedy of errors, except, of course, that the results have been anything but comic for the rest of the world. The last coherent foreign policy plan which any adminsitation has attempted to implement was the PNAC's world view during the Bush administration, and that lead us into Iraq. American foreign affairs have been pathetic, bumbling and brutal since 1941.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:14 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
I realize it's a case of the ends justifying the means, but I think it is quite good enough for me to know that Bin Laden is dead as a direct result.

The deaths of hundreds of thousands of Afghans from an invasion that is a war crime makes it good enough for you that OBL is dead. Aren't you the generous soul, Wayne?

Quote:
I have no idea what might have happened had we not pursued the course of action we did.

Untold numbers of innocent men, women and children would not have had to go through the immense suffering inflicted upon them by the US and their suckups.

How is it that you miss something so apparent?

Quote:
I don't believe it was simply a matter of payback.

No, it was like it has been since the very beginning - the rapacious gobbling up of the wealth of poorer nations.

Quote:

Pearl Harbor, Internment, and Hiroshima: Historical Lessons

by Paul D'Amato

The United States had its origins in a rapacious expansionism, beginning with westward conquest at the expense of the Indian population and the forcible seizure of Western states from Mexico in the 1840s under the rubric of"manifest destiny."

After the Civil War, American capitalism exploded in a fury of growth. Domestic manufacturing, worth $2 billion in 1860, was worth $9.5 billion by 1890. In the same period, the population tripled, agricultural production tripled, and the total value of manufacturing products went from $ 1 billion to $11.5 billion, pushing the U.S. into first place over Britain. Like other relative newcomers to the game of world power politics, Japan and Germany, the U.S. began to seek its place as a "great power"-on the level of Britain and France-commensurate with its new economic weight.

The new impetus of the U.S. to project its power internationally was expressed clearly by Indiana Senator Albert Beveridge in 1898: "American factories are making more than American people can use; American soil is producing more than it can consume. Fate has written our policy for us; the trade of the world must and shall be ours.... We will cover the ocean with our merchant marine. We will build a navy to the measure of our greatness."

What such "greatness" would mean was soon demonstrated in practice in the war with Spain that started in the same year. The U.S. fought this "splendid little war" under the guise of freeing oppressed peoples from Spanish tyranny. But the people of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines quickly discovered that they had only shed one colonial ruler for another-the United States. Together with Hawaii, which the U.S. had seized in 1898, the Philippines became the steppingstone for U.S. power projection in the Pacific.

That the U.S. wanted to create an empire-not free oppressed peoples-was clear in what it did in the Philippines. After defeating Spain in a decisive naval battle in Manila Bay, Admiral George Dewey concluded an agreement with Spanish forces. The Filipino nationalist rebels who had risen up and laid siege to Manila would be kept out of the city while a mock battle was held between Spanish and U.S. forces, after which the Spanish would surrender to the U.S. military. The Filipinos struggling for independence were held at bay outside Manila while their homeland was transferred from Spanish to U.S. control.

From the beginning, it was clear that the U.S. was measuring its colonial aims in the same racist manner as its European counterparts. President William McKinley, in an 1899 meeting with a Methodist delegation, explained that-after much nightly pacing and prayer-he had come to a conclusion: Since the U.S. could not hand the Philippines back to Spain or turn them over to France or Germany, and since the Filipino people were "unfit for self-government," "there was nothing left for us to do but take them all, and to educate the Filipinos, and uplift and Christianize them." General William Shafter made clear the same year just what "uplifting" Filipinos would mean:

It may be necessary to kill half of the Filipinos in order that the remaining half of the population may be advanced to a higher plane of life than their present semi-barbarous state affords.

In its subsequent three-year war to subdue the archipelago and destroy the independence movement, U.S. forces conducted a scorched-earth policy that devastated the country and its people, the majority of whom supported the independence fighters. The populations of entire islands were herded into concentration camps, and hundreds of thousands were killed. One general reported that as many as 600,000 people were killed or died of disease on the island of Luzon alone-and an estimated 1 million Filipinos were killed, according to one historian.

"Kill and burn, kill and burn, the more you kill and the more you burn the more you please me," General "Howlin' Jake" Smith told his troops. An American congressman who visited the Philippines in 1901 reported on what these bloodcurdling pronouncements meant in practice:

You never heard of any disturbances in northern Luzon because there isn't anybody there to rebel.... The good Lord in heaven only knows the number of Filipinos that were put under ground. Our soldiers took no prisoners, they kept no records; they simply swept the country and wherever and whenever they could get hold of a Filipino they killed him. "

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Civil_Liberties/Pearl%20Harbor_Internment.html

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's pretty cute, Robert, but you actually knew exactly what I was requesting of you.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:18 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I think I can agree with you when stated this way. My whole problem is with the portrayal of America as supporting the results of these unsavory characters policies.

Sure, anytime you say "America did X" there is some kind of reductionism going on. I am not in the America is evil camp (kinda like JTT sounds to me). I am in the America is responsible for some enormous wrongs camp.

Quote:
By extension that may be philosophically true, but within the complex frame of world politics it is misleading and emotionally charged, leading the average American voter to an uninformed and emotional position.
I thinks that's one of the reasons we fall so easily for agendas.

I still think this sounds like you think America only has some "necessary evil" kinds of scars though, and not that America has any that don't come with disclaimers but that were just wrong. My original point was that some things America has done are wrong and that no big picture justifies, that is all. There have been things that were just plain wrong in my opinion and that don't really improve a lot with more contextual nuance (actually some look a lot worse when you look closer in my opinion).

We have tortured, assassinated, and "disappeared" people too. But I also don't happen to think that is an indictment of America, in the balance of things I think America has been positive, but in the balance of things I think America's foreign policy has been negative and that we have some legitimate skeletons in our closets too.

But as we've already agreed on, there's plenty of criticism to go around and I think this is largely a logomachy now with disagreement about just how stern the adjectives should be in the semantics that describe American history. One of these days we should hold a "roast" for some other countries and give them constructive criticism too. I've got plenty of gripes about things not being perfect and can wax rather preachy (it's my solitary character flaw which I must bear with grace and humility).

Quote:
This pretty much sums up everything I disagree with in American politics today. We've degenerated into schoolyard tactics and inflamatory statements rather than productive discourse. There is way too much delusional and self-serving propaganda.

Hopefully this recent dumbing-down of politics will pass soon, I don't like it either. But in a way I think it's a more healthy marketplace of ideas than, say WW2 era America was. I think there is less harmony but also a lot more willingness to challenge ideas and people, and though it's just obnoxious and abrasive right now I'll take disharmony over peaceful bullshit any day.

Quote:
I think I am pretty much in agreement with your views, we of course will differ on semantics and such. I learn quite a lot from you're intelligent and articulate responses.

Thanks, I've enjoyed our exchanges as well. I've learned an awful lot from a2k exchanges and cherish the opportunities I have here to exchange views.

Quote:
I haven't really thought about being an American without taking some pride in it. I'm a child of the cold war and proud to be an American was/is taken in stride.
I will think about what that might mean.

I think it's still normal pretty much everywhere to have nationalistic pride, I personally am not a fan and find it to be among the most prevalent brands of bigotry (if largely benign, and a sometimes-useful political instrument) that there is. I can only derive pride from things I have some responsibility for, but being born American is to be born with a winning lottery ticket and I cannot take pride in luck, I can only be grateful for it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:22 pm
@wayne,
Okay, I read it, Wayne. What's your point?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:23 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It's a pity that real tragedy and grief gets misused so because i think that feeling supported in such mass grief is a truly good thing for those who suffer.

That sublime moment of communion and fellowship, where all unite in grief, is like the receding waters of the tsunami of opportunists that come to capitalize on the sentiment.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:24 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
That's pretty cute, Robert, but you actually knew exactly what I was requesting of you.

Now I'm actually not sure. Explain it to me like I'm Sarah Palin.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Cold comfort to those dead Iraqis and their surviving family members. The deaths are deaths, Robert, and whether or not those deaths came directly at the hands of the US, they are people who would not have died but for the US illegal invasion, people who would not have died save for the conditions created by the initial war crime.

It doesn't make them any less dead to employ mistruth in their name. I was citing the number directly killed, and with a semblance of accuracy, not maximum rhetorical effect, in mind. It does not make any brand of sense to swap the total number that might be attributable to the war when you are citing the number directly killed as they are not one and the same.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Now I'm actually not sure. Explain it to me like I'm Sarah Palin.

You don't do coy very well, Robert.

Quote:
Sometimes JTT, I think that your real motivation is to disuade people from the "truth".

I said: Go on, Robert, please do continue.

If you can't explain, clearly, what you meant in this one sentence, one might wonder who it is that has been writing your other posts.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I was citing the number directly killed, and with a semblance of accuracy, not maximum rhetorical effect, in mind.

Where did you get your numbers?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:50 pm
@JTT,
I think it's clear as a bell. But if you want me to explain it yet again: There are many ways to present a message, and I was commenting to the effect that you present yours in a manner that makes it less palatable than it could otherwise be, so much so that I said I sometimes wondered if you were going for the "long troll".

In other words my quip, which is now the deadest horse of a quip ever due to the sheer volume of words exchanged to explain it to you, was to the effect that I wonder if you are really selling your "truth" or it's opposite through reverse psychology.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:54 pm
@JTT,
All the credible estimates peak in the very general order of magnitude I cited (of "hundreds of thousands") and I was speaking of both Afghanistan and Iraq so there is not a single source I can cite, I was summarizing the already well-known body of scholarship attempting to do body counts in these wars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:00 pm
@dlowan,
I am not a taliban fan but I have not ever seen them as a reason for us to plant our feet there.

I think our planners have had no human sensors, in a land of tribal wars.
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
This is my primary objection to the way 9/11 is invoked in America. The memory of 9/11 was used to prosecute a war of choice that itself represents an evil that is orders of magnitude larger. Commemoration of it is thusly sullied to me, in that if it doesn't tip the hat to the pain caused in reaction at all it's national shortsightedness......

I agree with you.
And feel just as strongly about much of the blanket media coverage of the anniversary of 9/11 in my own country.

One example ....
Our (then) prime minister, John Howard, who involved us in the Iraq invasion without properly consulting parliament & against the clear wishes of the Australian people, attempted to use this commemoration to justify his own decisions at the time .... with maudlin references the victims of 9/11, followed, in the next breath, with the declaration that he still believed that he had made "the right decision" at the time .... and he would make exactly the same decision again, following 10 years of contemplation..
.... With barely a nodding reference to the many Iraqi civilian victims of the invasion, if at all.

A spectacle which many contributors to letters to the editor/s pages & participants of online forums responded to with revulsion & anger. And quite rightly so.

That is my problem with such commemorations. How they are so often used for purely political ends by opportunists to promote their own agendas. In John Howard's case, by exploiting the perfectly legitimate sympathy many Australians feel for the victims of 9/11, he cynically used the occasion to attempt to white wash history, to justify his unjustifiable decisions & actions at the time & to deny his won culpability in a crime against humanity .

I don't think that showed much respect for the victims of 9/11 at all, in fact, I believe he insulted their memory by using them in this way.
0 Replies