The horror of Sept. 11th, 2001

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

chai2 wrote:
I wonder if olga started an account as a man, and said those same words, if "he" would have been called shrill.

He has dismissed arguments from males with the "shrill" characterization as well. It's an incredibly forceful intellectual argument, I can see why he is fond of it.

I wonder if he's used harpy for men?
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I'd criticize anti-American right-wing-nuts too, I just haven't seen any of them around here.

Check your mirror.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, it's mainly been foreigners who have been killed as a result of september 11th, so I'd be thinking there are a lot of foreigners with more right than anyone else to comment.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:40 pm
@JTT,
You are quick to play the war crime card, the Taliban had associated itself with Al-Qaeda, who by the way openly attacked American citizens on American soil, you ride with horse thieves you hang with horse thieves.
What the Taliban chooses to do at this point remains to be seen, maybe they should reconsider their associations.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:45 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Tactics like that belong to a PITA demonstration. It's a fabrication, painting a picture far from the truth, ignoring the alternatives. Someone opposing isolationism should realize the complexities involved. Supporting stability always involves supporting unsavory characters sooner or later. We get accused because we weigh the balance according to the world economy, so suddenly it's a selfish end.

Wayne it's just not true that America invariably wants to promote "stability". The prevailing theme in American foreign policy is the same as that of nearly any other country: to promote their own interests (economic, geopolitical, etc) and yes sometimes stability is in America's interest and makes for nasty bedfellows, but that is certainly not always the case, and we are willing to rock-the-boat.

For example, do you think things like the Bay of Pigs Invasion was an attempt to promote "stability" or to rewrite the geopolitical map? What about invading Iraq? Do you think it's for "stability" or the stated goals of having additional military "footprints" and the projection of American power in the "New American Century".

We don't have to guess what the so-called "neocons" have as a motivation, they were very open about it. Here is the "too long, didn't read" version:

They believe that after the fall of the USSR the US should not waste this lead. They believe the US should capitalize on this window of being a sole superpower to widen the gap and prevent future challenges. They believe that to do this America should project more power, seek more military footprints, and be willing to use its hard power as well as its soft power to try to keep the lead.

Sure, they may even justify it to themselves along some kind of "stability" lines, I've heard it myself with the notion that through all our war we are actually responsible for all the peace in the interim, that this is a "Pax Americana".

Let's just put it this way, reasonable people can differ on whether or not that is actually the case, but I posit that the notion that America's war is really peace is delusional and self-serving propaganda.

This is not to say that there is no such thing as a just war, and not to say that America hasn't fought its legitimate share of them, but I think the storied history America has in the just wars it fought sometimes serve to blind Americans to the unjust wars. In the run-up to Iraq French opposition to the war was predictably assailed with the usual refrain of their cheese-eating, surrender-monkey existence owing exclusively to the heroics of the US of A (and by the way the only time your wives had a "real man" was when our guys were on leave, true story!).

Quote:
Such a remarkable generalization, killing is wrong, no argument there, but I must assume you're not talking about ww11 casualties, perhaps the civil war?
I shouldn't be a smart ass, but the point is, lets be specific here after all Britain begged us to enter ww11 and kill people.

I was talking about the reaction to 9/11. America has killed hundreds of thousands of people since them as a reaction. I believe that invading Iraq and killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process is a bad thing, not the necessary evils of promotion of stability, just plain wrong and on a magnitude that dwarfs 9/11.

Quote:
This isn't what I said, I said America has felt great responsibility, which is true, after ww11 America, and the world, were horrified by what had happened. Today's policies have developed from that stand point.

I don't see the "New American Century" policies as having their genesis in WW2, though I suppose all things can trace backwards, I see it as being a reaction to the end of the Cold War, where the enormous militarization is being justified despite the loss of the bogey-man that it was built for, and with the understanding that the next one might be different.

Quote:
I don't support where these policies have gone, but I am not going to pretend the rest of the free world bears no responsibility for the path we went down.

Of course not. Countries like the UK and Australia are justifiably derided as lap dogs in the last few excusions. I agree that there's plenty of criticism to go around.

Quote:
I really dislike this tactic of generalization, it's simply an emotional appeal and fails to serve diplomacy.

It's no more general than writing it all off as all being an effort to maintain "stability" but I can get specific about anything you'd like me to.

Quote:
I have never been a supporter of the war in Iraq, it never should have happened. IMO it was a knee jerk emotional reaction by an incompetent administration. The Texas swagger should have been the first clue, and has no place in world politics.

I was against it too, but 70% of Americans were for it, and the appeal to emotion of 9/11 was used for it. The Bush administration was peopled with individuals who had openly been calling to invade Iraq, they had been lobbying Clinton to. The tragedy of 9/11 gave them a window of political capital to do so.

That is why I am connecting it here and now, because these patriotic circle jerks about 9/11 are what made 70% of Americans take leave of their senses in the first place (ok, slight exaggeration, at least double-digits were always for it and thusly never had them in the first place). These commemorations ignore this, and seek to perpetuate the self-serving notion that we are fighting for our freedoms and blah blah blah.

These commemorations are a political instrument that are used to drum up support for the militarism. This is why I draw the connection.

Quote:
True, I would however say, that we citizens of America are some of the most caring the world has ever known, most of us would like nothing better than to see all the world enjoy our standard of living.

Let's not get carried away here, Americans are very nice people, but aren't especially generous and don't really want the world to enjoy our standard of living if it means we have to sacrifice at all (be it in competing with a Mexican for a job, or paying a quarter more for gasoline Americans are pretty consistent about putting themselves first) but yes, when bad stuff happens Americans can be generous like anyone else and lend a helping hand. American's aren't bad people, but good people can do very bad things, especially when it has the diffusion of responsibility that democracy had.

Quote:
Alas, we are also very human and the thinkers among us realize full well the realities of life on this planet.
I am grateful for the comforts and securities I enjoy, but I won't be made to feel guilty for it.

Then don't! I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for being an American and don't see why anyone else should, just like I don't see any reason for you to be proud of it, or just like how I don't see why people should value their compatriots more than others.

You just happened to be born in between those lines in the sand. If that isn't arbitrary I don't know what is.
dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:45 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

You are quick to play the war crime card, the Taliban had associated itself with Al-Qaeda, who by the way openly attacked American citizens on American soil, you ride with horse thieves you hang with horse thieves.
What the Taliban chooses to do at this point remains to be seen, maybe they should reconsider their associations.

I'm suspecting they're waiting for all the foreign troops to go to simply resume business, as they work to terrify people into supporting them and undermine the corrupt government, which assists by busily undermining itself.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:49 pm
@wayne,
The remainder of the French navy was later scuttled by the French, so it seems we could have trusted them. I still think Churchill made the right decision.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
How is that related to the hundreds of thousands of people America has killed in the last decade?

Iraqi deaths due to the US invasion

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/iraq
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I wonder if he's used harpy for men?

I can neither confirm nor deny his use of the word harpy for men. Just saying he's called men shrill before. I'm sure I have too (even though I needled him about his use here) and if there's any sexist undertone at all it it's that it might be part of the insult I guess.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:53 pm
@dlowan,
Yeah, that's pretty much my take on the situation too.
The thing is, even if they came to the table and ended terrorist associations, and we got out of there. We'll be condemned later on when they, once again, enslave the Afghani people.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
I do too, Lions are terrible creatures, unless you is one Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Deep abiding ignorance creates that type of patriotism. Any person who was a serious patriot, who truly had a love for their country would make every attempt to find out the truth.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:08 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I get that the US was responding to the government (if you can call it that) that had given Al Qaeda shelter, and that responding to 9/11 with an invasion of Afghanistan can be morally justified as a response I find that you are being incredibly cavalier about this.

Remember, at the time that they did so, even the US wasn't all that serious about him and let him get there by passing up opportunities to nab him. It's not like the entire Afghan people decided to co-conspire in 9/11, even the Taliban had no idea it was going to happen, from their end some fellow religious fundamentalists with a boatload of money wanted to hang out in their lawless country and they accepted their financial support by allowing them to use their territory.

Sure, bad move and all but do realize that every year the US spends more on the war in Afghanistan than their entire GDP, and that we've killed many more Afghan civilians in this war than died on 9/11. Now I am not saying that we should not have invaded Afghanistan, but I'm suggesting that you are being cavalier about the deaths that we cause there and the responsibility they may have for 9/11.

9/11 was committed by a very small number of people, none of which were Afghans as far as I know. Now I realize they had bad bedfellows but earlier in this thread you were dismissive about ours, saying that sometimes reality makes for such unsavory friends. After all, we went in to fight some people we used to be friends with in the first place (back when they were fighting the Soviets).

The people in 9/11 who died didn't deserve to, even if the attackers thought they did due to their "guilt by association" to a country that they believe has wronged them or people they represent. And neither do the tens of thousands of innocent Afghanis (these days some weren't even born when 9/11 happened) deserve to die and whether it's a necessary evil or not is debatable (I certainly would not have prosecuted the war this way) but I don't think it's as easy as saying that it's just a sleep with dogs, get up with fleas kind of a thing. I also think that the notion that it's retributive is something that the 9/11 attackers believed themselves, due to the same reasoning (to their thinking it is America's guilt by association in the middle-east with regimes that had killed and/or persecuted them).

That's one reason I dislike these tragedy commemorations in general, it's worth remembering that "remember the Alamo" was a war cry, ejaculated throughout a slaughter.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:10 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
You are quick to play the war crime card,

And you are all too quick, without the requisite knowledge, to deny it.

Quote:

Afghanistan: The Other Illegal War
The U.S. invasion of Afghanistan was every bit as illegal as the invasion of Iraq. Why, then, do so many Americans see it as justifiable?

By Marjorie Cohn

The U.N. Charter provides that all member states must settle their international disputes by peaceful means, and no nation can use military force except in self-defense or when authorized by the Security Council. After the 9/11 attacks, the council passed two resolutions, neither of which authorized the use of military force in Afghanistan. Resolutions 1368 and 1373 condemned the Sept. 11 attacks and ordered the freezing of assets; the criminalizing of terrorist activity; the prevention of the commission of and support for terrorist attacks; and the taking of necessary steps to prevent the commission of terrorist activity, including the sharing of information. In addition, it urged ratification and enforcement of the international conventions against terrorism.

The invasion of Afghanistan was not legitimate self-defense under article 51 of the charter because the attacks on Sept. 11 were criminal attacks, not "armed attacks" by another country. Afghanistan did not attack the United States. In fact, 15 of the 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, there was not an imminent threat of an armed attack on the United States after Sept. 11, or Bush would not have waited three weeks before initiating his October 2001 bombing campaign. The necessity for self-defense must be "instant, overwhelming, leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation." This classic principle of self-defense in international law has been affirmed by the Nuremberg Tribunal and the U.N. General Assembly.

Bush's justification for attacking Afghanistan was that it was harboring Osama bin Laden and training terrorists. Iranians could have made the same argument to attack the United States after they overthrew the vicious Shah Reza Pahlavi in 1979 and he was given safe haven in the United States. The people in Latin American countries whose dictators were trained in torture techniques at the School of the Americas could likewise have attacked the torture training facility in Fort Benning, Ga., under that specious rationale. Those who conspired to hijack airplanes and kill thousands of people on 9/11 are guilty of crimes against humanity. They must be identified and brought to justice in accordance with the law. But retaliation by invading Afghanistan is not the answer and will only lead to the deaths of more of our troops and Afghans.

http://www.alternet.org/world/93473/afghanistan:_the_other_illegal_war/

Quote:

Quote:
America’s Terrorist Training Camp
October 30, 2001

What’s the difference between Al Qaeda and Fort Benning?

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 30th October 2001

“If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents,” George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, “they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their own peril.” I’m glad he said “any government”, as there’s one which, though it has yet to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism, requires his urgent attention.

For the past 55 years it has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at Al-Qaeda’s door.

The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHISC. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush’s government.

http://www.monbiot.com/2001/10/30/americas-terrorist-training-camp/

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:14 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Quote:
How is that related to the hundreds of thousands of people America has killed in the last decade?

Iraqi deaths due to the US invasion

That figure is an estimate that includes the numbers of Iraqis that were killed by Iraqis in the chaos subsequent to the invasion. While I understand the reasoning of these violent deaths being cause "due to" the invasion I was talking about people America killed directly and don't see any profit in inflating the number, of general hyperbole and hysteria about America. I stand by what I said, hundreds of thousands, I do not think America has killed anywhere near 1.5 million people in Iraq and think that the real number matter more than what might sound more convincing because if you are to argue that lives actually matter and are not just arbitrary statistics then they shouldn't suffer inflation when you are using them in debate, just as I don't think they should be cannon fodder I do not think they should be argument fodder.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:16 pm
@JTT,
My meaning escapes you. If that's the way you like to see it try it this way:

Sometimes JTT, I think that your real motivation is to disuade people from the "truth".
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Unfortunately your typically shrill, hyperindignant response has nothing at all to do with my complaint. I don't question your right to be such a screeching harpie, I simply wish you would Take it somewhere else !

But, George, any response to the comment I posted? Wink :

Quote:
George, consider this:
What are something like Australian 1550 - 2000 Australian troops doing in Afghanistan, considering that we at not even a NATA member?

And considering that ordinary Australians have no beef what-so-ever with Afghanistan?

Do you think those troops would be there if the Australian government wasn't supporting US policy in Afghanistan, despite many Australians considering the war (which I consider an extended period of occupation) in that country is "unwinnable"?)

How dare you suggest that citizens of those countries which have supported misguided US policies in Afghanistan & Iraq somehow have less right to comment on "the war on terror" than Americans do.
Or anyone else, from any other country for that matter.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 04:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Sometimes JTT, I think that your real motivation is to disuade people from the "truth".

Go on, Robert, please do continue.
wayne

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Wayne it's just not true that America invariably wants to promote "stability". The prevailing theme in American foreign policy is the same as that of nearly any other country: to promote their own interests (economic, geopolitical, etc) and yes sometimes stability is in America's interest and makes for nasty bedfellows, but that is certainly not always the case, and we are willing to rock-the-boat.

I think I can agree with you when stated this way. My whole problem is with the portrayal of America as supporting the results of these unsavory characters policies. By extension that may be philosophically true, but within the complex frame of world politics it is misleading and emotionally charged, leading the average American voter to an uninformed and emotional position.
I thinks that's one of the reasons we fall so easily for agendas.

Quote:
For example, do you think things like the Bay of Pigs Invasion was an attempt to promote "stability" or to rewrite the geopolitical map? What about invading Iraq? Do you think it's for "stability" or the stated goals of having additional military "footprints" and the projection of American power in the "New American Century".

I don't think the Bay of Pigs Invasion bears much resemblance to Iraq, considering the state of the world at the time.
I can, however see some resemblance in regards to fear and emotional reactions as basis for the decision in both cases.

Quote:
Let's just put it this way, reasonable people can differ on whether or not that is actually the case, but I posit that the notion that America's war is really peace is delusional and self-serving propaganda.

This is not to say that there is no such thing as a just war, and not to say that America hasn't fought its legitimate share of them, but I think the storied history America has in the just wars it fought sometimes serve to blind Americans to the unjust wars. In the run-up to Iraq French opposition to the war was predictably assailed with the usual refrain of their cheese-eating, surrender-monkey existence owing exclusively to the heroics of the US of A (and by the way the only time your wives had a "real man" was when our guys were on leave, true story!).

This pretty much sums up everything I disagree with in American politics today. We've degenerated into schoolyard tactics and inflamatory statements rather than productive discourse. There is way too much delusional and self-serving propaganda.

Quote:
I was talking about the reaction to 9/11. America has killed hundreds of thousands of people since them as a reaction. I believe that invading Iraq and killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process is a bad thing, not the necessary evils of promotion of stability, just plain wrong and on a magnitude that dwarfs 9/11.

I agree, most especially with your choice of word. The invasion of Iraq was indeed a reaction, understandable in the sense that people do tend to react to events.
I happen to think that those who assume leadership roles should be capable of understanding the difference between a reaction and a response.
It makes no sense to respond to 9/11 by invading Iraq.

Quote:
I don't see the "New American Century" policies as having their genesis in WW2, though I suppose all things can trace backwards, I see it as being a reaction to the end of the Cold War, where the enormous militarization is being justified despite the loss of the bogey-man that it was built for, and with the understanding that the next one might be different

I think that military machine saw it's genesis in ww11, but that doesn't mean you're not correct in your assessment. I tend to agree with you.
We are great builders, not so great at reform.

Quote:
Then don't! I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for being an American and don't see why anyone else should, just like I don't see any reason for you to be proud of it, or just like how I don't see why people should value their compatriots more than others.

You just happened to be born in between those lines in the sand. If that isn't arbitrary I don't know what is.

I think I am pretty much in agreement with your views, we of course will differ on semantics and such. I learn quite a lot from you're intelligent and articulate responses.
I haven't really thought about being an American without taking some pride in it. I'm a child of the cold war and proud to be an American was/is taken in stride.
I will think about what that might mean.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 05:17 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I was speaking about this thread on that day.

I get that now but the comment that I responded to only said that America shouldn't be criticized for a few days and I took this to mean in a general sense beyond the thread's context (I kinda jumped into the middle of it).

Quote:
Do you object to the commemoration of the day in and of itself?

I dislike most commemorations but these ones in particular I dislike because they were used to rally war drums.

Quote:
Because I think that, in big tragedies, that a national recognition of the tragedy can be a very healing thing.

I'm fine with that, I dislike them personally because I find it sappy and exploitative (there's always someone mining it for political capital, or just capital capital) but see nothing wrong with it. I'm just not a big ceremony kind of guy. I think there's a big element of an appeal to emotion involved and am wary of them (though they are certainly not ALL bad).

Quote:
Or do you object to it Only when it is used as propaganda for hate mongering, reinforcement of patriotic hysteria and such?

This is my primary objection to the way 9/11 is invoked in America. The memory of 9/11 was used to prosecute a war of choice that itself represents an evil that is orders of magnitude larger. Commemoration of it is thusly sullied to me, in that if it doesn't tip the hat to the pain caused in reaction at all it's national shortsightedness. A reaction that the majority of the Americans that are commemorating supported.

I object to the meticulous care with which some lives are counted and remembered while others are dispensed with, not even deemed worth counting or acknowledging in any meaningful way. I also object to the silent treatment this war, which is now clearly a failure to most of those who used to support it, gets with no willingness on the national level to confront the colossal mistake that it was and think that while commemorating the tragedy that caused the national psyche to allow it that the reaction shouldn't be sublimated.