Ark Building 101

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:58 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Make thee an ark of gopher wood;

Say what? I'm pretty sure gophers are endemic to North America not Ararat or them other aramaic speaking areas.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:03 am
I looked it up on wikipedia - I'm pretty sure all you need to create an arc is a circle and a secant.
Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:21 am
@hingehead,
well, there's a tangent...
hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:26 am
@Izzie,
Easy as pi.
Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:34 am
@hingehead,
It's a sine!
Sturgis

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:36 am
@Izzie,
I will cosine on that.
Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:37 am
@Sturgis,
Good angle.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:39 am
@Izzie,
I was hoping I wasn't being obtuse.
hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:40 am
@Sturgis,
I guess euclid say that. It struck a chord.
Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 06:55 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

It struck a chord.

The Boat That Rocked Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:08 am
Sturgis, I have no intention of carving all that stuff. I have no intention of flying an ark. I'm not going to the Cooper Union, although it is a nice day--so far. I haven't been to sleep yet.

jes, What vision thing? I was sitting here at the computer minding my own business. The heavens opened again. Sheets of water were coming down. Thunder sounded like it was emanating from inside my apartment. In relative sanity and with no voices other than my own in my head, I thought it was time to do something. I'm sorry I brought up the ark. A boat would have been simpler. But I knew I would need some assistance with the animals.

As for the rain dream and the need to pee when you got up, I'd say the chance of coincidence is great. Don't you always have to pee when you wake up? Don't mean to be getting too personal. If you'd rather not answer, I'll understand.

Mariano is staying here until the end of the season or the floods fill the earth--whichever comes first. (Best reliever ever.)

Hingehead, Forget about the gopher wood. I don't think gophers manufacture wood. I'll use my floor for starters. You gotta loin how to spell, kid. Not an arc (and ich hubse in drerd with your secant). ArK. A boat.

Izzie, This entire thread has been off on a tangent. Last time I ask the people here for help. Harumph.

I refuse to respond to the latest batch of puns. I got stuff to do.

I worked out who will help me. I figured out the source of food for many of the carnivores.

I just gotta collect wood, caulk, and some tools. You people should be out collecting animals. There are people here from all over the globe. How hard can it be?

Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:14 am
@Roberta,
so now you want gofers

go fer this, go fer that

what's a goil to do without a gofer!

<gone to look fer a pair of aye-ayes. I believe I spotted one in a bucket earlier on - aye>

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mfR4ZOrIiUY/TTMN-JrVu_I/AAAAAAAAAGY/MYuO2oPsLmY/s400/AyeAye4.jpg

aye-aye (ī'ī') [key], name for an aberrant primate, Daubentonia madagascariensis, related to the lemurs but distinguished by its specialized teeth and fingers. A large nocturnal and arboreal primate, it is found in dense bamboo forests in two isolated regions of Madagascar. The aye-aye is about the size of a house cat. It has silver and black fur with reddish underparts, a long, bushy tail, and a small, round head with large eyes and rounded, naked ears. Its fingers and toes are extremely long and end in claws; the thumb and big toes are opposable. The aye-aye uses its exceedingly slender third finger to dig into bark for wood-boring insect larvae, which it detects by means of its acute hearing. It feeds on larvae, other small animals, eggs, and fruit, as well as on bamboo and sugarcane. Its teeth are adapted for gnawing and it was formerly thought to be a rodent because of its large, chisel-shaped, continuously growing incisors. The aye-aye has no fear of humans and will strike at them if annoyed. It has been the object of superstitious fear. It is now almost extinct. It is classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Mammalia, order Primates, family Daubentoniidae.

You'll need some bamboo - I'll float some across the poind fer you!

Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:27 am
@Izzie,
I already figured out who my assistants/gofers will be.

We're gonna need two aye-ayes, which comes to an aye-aye aye-aye. Ay yay yay.

Thanks for the bamboo offer. I think we probably have some in NY. I'll let you know.

Always thinking. Now have a plan for feeding some of the herbivores with minimal work and no use of space.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:30 am
Somebody's gonna hafta deal with the poop . . .
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:35 am
@Setanta,
I'm still ruminating on that. Thanks for reminding me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:05 am
@Roberta,
You're going to need to build a really, really big one for all the different animals, Roberta.
Have you considered how you'll get it out of your apartment once it's finished?
Could be a bit of a problem .....

http://dailycoloringpages.com/images/noahs-arks-storm-over-bible-coloring-sheets.png
hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:11 am
@msolga,
Speaking of which - what floor are you on? Is it a walk up? Can the animals even get to your apartment?
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:46 am
@msolga,
Yes, Olga, I have that all worked out. One of the few boat issues that I have an answer for. I find that I've been spending way too much time ruminating and worrying about the animals. I've come up with a good solutions to a few things. But I'm not sufficiently focused on the boat.

Maybe I can find a few sacrificial types who will build it for me before they drown.

Snakes! They eat live food. How many rodents do I have to bring?

It's always something.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:48 am
@hingehead,
Hinge, I'm on the eighth floor. There are two elevators. I'm gonna need a shoe horn for some of the larger animals. There's no freight elevator. I appreciate your concern.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:00 am
Good idea, starting with the As, to collect the animals. That way we don't forget any.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Porc_formiguer.JPG/220px-Porc_formiguer.JPG
Aardvark