McDonald’s announces new Sad Meals

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:22 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Apples are a good source of soluble fiber. French fries...not so much.
the small fry that comes now has 3 grams of fiber, the apples have 2

NEXT!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:30 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Cindy Goody, McDonald's senior director of nutrition, said that the new directives are "absolutely not" related to new regulations. Rather, she said, they're a response to customers asking for healthier choices.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2011/07/mcdonalds_to_include_apple_sli.html

Apples were already a choice, so this is a BOLD FACED LIE, one that the zealots will help McDonalds spread because like all busybodied zealots the truth is only useful to them when it helps to sell the agenda.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:43 am
@hawkeye10,
They were a choice - now they are not a choice, but are simply added.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:46 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

They were a choice - now they are not a choice, but are simply added.
They are still a choice, only the fries are half sized now and the corporation has changed the default. The choices have not changed, all that has changed is which choice the customer has to work to get.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Nah - you get the fries and the apples now (both smaller portions) before you got to choose - apples or fries. I suppose in a sense you could just throw away whichever one you don't want.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:57 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Nah - you get the fries and the apples now (both smaller portions) before you got to choose - apples or fries. I suppose in a sense you could just throw away whichever one you don't want.
OK, I see some reports worded that way...interesting.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
So because parents do not choose the healthy choice (89% do not) the company is forcing the issue, while claiming that they are bowing to public demand which is really the fanatics demands.

On the other hand we citizens get lied to and pushed around constantly, so this is just another day at the office.
hamilton

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:05 pm
@Setanta,
i was just out looking to buy a cello, and the owner of the store had a dog that looks exactly like the one in your profile! Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:11 pm
@hamilton,
What kind of cello . . . cherry? I hate cherry cello . . . expecially when they mix fruit in it . . .
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
You got that one right on the money!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
we will need to wait and see if Corporate allows request for double apple or double fry rather than one of each. I kinda think they will leave it to to the discretion of the operator and stay as quiet as possible about it.
hamilton

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:35 pm
@Setanta,
well thank goodness you arent to the point where that and strained peas are all you can eat!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well the job I applied for at corporate was to make sure the stores were working in financial affective way. I would guess corporate would allow it, if it did not cause any increase in cost.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I would guess corporate would allow it, if it did not cause any increase in cost.
as of a couple years ago the apples were several times more expensive than the fries in food cost, but labor is less. When they first introduced the apples McD's made sure to mention how expensive the apples are, and how they were not uping the price for those who want apples, because they care about kid nutrition.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 03:14 pm
Interesting

Quote:
McDonald's said it first experimented with using fruit — typically an apple — or a vegetable as a replacement for fries in Happy Meals. But both children and parents rebelled, so the fries will stay.

"People come to McDonald's and, first of all, they want the choice and the control to be theirs, but their expectation of a Happy Meal does include a fry," said Jan Fields, president of McDonald's USA. "When we did it without fries, there was a huge disappointment factor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0726-happy-meal-20110726,0,1581970.story
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:15 am
@Setanta,
i told some people what you said, and they said that they do that with fries as well!
Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:39 am
@hamilton,
Well yeah, that goes without saying. It assures that you get a fresh order of fries. You want to bring some salt with you, though.
hamilton

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:40 am
@Setanta,
ya. someone brings keeps a salt shaker in their car for that reason.
Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:42 am
@hamilton,
As it happens, we keep salt packets from fast food restaurants in the car.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:51 am
Personally, I think McD is the worst of all hamburger joints out there - when even our old dog Max refused to eat the McD hamburger, we stopped going there. My daughter has never been to McD, we have in-n-out, Jack-in-the-Box and other places here that are far better.

That's strictly me though, as on average tons of parents cart off their kids
to school every morning with a bag of McD for breakfast, and aside from a school lunch which is not too healthy either, they get McD for dinner as well.

So if the kids "Happy Meal" has apple slices in addition to its regular meal,
I think that's great! Kids will eat the apple slices because they're from McD
and at least they get a bit of fruit for the day.