McDonald’s announces new Sad Meals

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:43 am
If people want relatively healthy fast food, they should go to a Subway store.
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If people want relatively healthy fast food, they should go to a Subway store.

Or Jimmy Johns, they're faster and taste better. The people are way friendlier too.
It's not just getting a sub, it's an experience.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:46 am
@chai2,
Never heard of them. Is it regional, or did i just miss something?
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:47 am
@Setanta,
Subway samwichwes are not bad. I like to make my own with lotsa salami n ham,hungarian peppers, provolone and onions with a garlic dressing fairly light. All on a garlic roll . Its a great lunch / NO CHIPS NO CHIPS
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:

I saw/see nothing wrong with Finn's basic statement. The fact of the matter is that if you don't want your child eating unhealthy food then you don't bring them to a place that serves it.

You all keep repeating this as if it is a key point. But we all agree on this and this point supports my argument. The bottom line is that McDonald's wants my business. That is why they are doing this.

What's the problem?

This whole thing about some parents just buying extra fries is irrelevant. If McDonald's is making this business decision it is because there is some demand for it.

I can speak from my own experience. The McDonald's happy meal is a package deal, kids want it for the heavily marketed experience more than then food. And parents buy the things because kids ask for them (as a marketed package). I can say from my own personal experience that fewer fries in a happy meal will result in my kids eating fewer fries (per McDonald's visit). This is why as an occasional McDonald's customer this change makes me happy. I am sure that I am not the only parent with this experience.

But what's the big deal? This is a private corporation making a business decision that will make a significant part of their customer base happy. They have figured out that it will make enough people happy to raise their profits.

What's the problem?
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:53 am
Subway was started by a couple of doctors. I don't remember the name of the franchising company now, but it's something like Doctors' Associates. Allegedly, the two doctors who founded the chain intended to serve nutritious food from the very beginning. They were founded as a regional chain in the east some time in the -60s.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:54 am
@farmerman,
I prefer a SUbway over Jimmy Johns mostly becasuse I can be the sammich director at Subway and Jimmy Johns has this "Menu" board for its subs.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:56 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The bottom line is that McDonald's wants my business. That is why they are doing this.

I dont agree. I think that McD's is just attempting to KEEP the money they make by not inviting some new food suits on their ass.

ANybody, given a choice , wont take apple slices, Im sorry.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:02 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Never heard of them. Is it regional, or did i just miss something?

According to wikipedia...

Jimmy John's is a franchised sandwich restaurant founded by Jimmy John Liautaud in 1983 and headquartered in Champaign, Illinois.[1][2] The franchise has over 1000 locations in 39 states[3] and has opened approximately 200 units per year for the last three years.[4] 95% of the locations are franchise-owned.

Here's a random menu off of google images.

Wally always gets the Gargantuan, I do believe you would like that.
Check out their website and see if one is near you.

http://http.cdnlayer.com/campuslive/assets/menu_images/5099_menu_11776.gif
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I prefer a SUbway over Jimmy Johns mostly becasuse I can be the sammich director at Subway and Jimmy Johns has this "Menu" board for its subs.

oh, you can't open your mouth and tell them "no onions" or "extra vinegar"?

I do that all the time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:09 am
@chai2,
That's wild, they were founded in Champaign two years after i left there.

The little girl dog, who used to be my avatar photo, is a salad fanatic. She's out in the backyard right now eating the greenery.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:43 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

But however, they're not.

kids still want happy meals, they want fries too.

kids dont want what they are not exposed to.
My daughter has never asked for mcdonalds. ever. And I am not deprivng her by not ever taking her there.
we dont eat there. Period. She knows WHAT it is, she has seen it.. but has never gone there and consequently has no idea what is offered. Parents directly shape what kids want and look for in food. Not the kids themselves.

Finn is exactly right about one thing, if you dont want your kid to eat unhealthy foods, then dont take them to a place that serves it.

Mcdonalds is a SPOT for cheap fries and crappy burgers. People want that , that is why they go there. That is like making budweiser remove its alcohol. People buy things for certain reasons.
For every 1 mcshit, there are 20 restaurants around it that you can order better food from. Why make them change what they offer? That is their product, that is their business, that is what they are. Fast food. Why make them change that? Because people get fat from eating there? DUH . then stop eating there. It isnt their responsibility to make you STOP eating what you shouldnt. People make the decision to go there, they can just as easily NOT make the decision too.

Though, for me personally.. Mcshit would be better making FRENCH FRIES a specific request and their happy meals automatically come with apple slices and burgers with out all the additives. Those are the problem in the foods, not the basic bottom line content. Meat is good for you, potatos offer a good starch for energy, bread.. ehh.. not necessary but wont kill you.

But this is a list of what is just in their breads alone.
It isnt FAT content that is first the issue at McDonalds, nor is it sodium, it is the chemicals. Some of these are literally soap ingredients, MSG in several forms and hfcs just to name a few hot button things -

Quote:
Flour (wheat flour bleached and enriched with thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, iron, folic acid, malted barley flour), water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil). Contains 2 percent or less of dextrose, fumaric acid, calcium sulphate, salt, acetic acid, soy flour, monocalcium phosphate, ammonium sulphate, cornstarch, fungal protease, natural culture, ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid, azodicarbomide, mono- and diglycerides, propionic acid, phosphoric acid, corn flour, calcium peroxide, calcium propionate, dicetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides.

You are not even eating BREAD there, so why eat there at all? Lets not go there on what is all in the meat either.

I find it offensive that companies like this can get AWAY with just reducing the portions and calling themselves offering healthier options when they know damn good and well is what is IN IT that is hurting people, not just eating it. Not to mention, it is physically addicting thanks TO those ingredients so people want to come back and often. Why are they allowed to drug people like that ? And no one thinks , no one knows, and no one seems to care?
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
side note, subway has some of the highest msg contents in their breads and meats.

From their website, basic bread -

Quote:
Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, whole wheat flour, wheat gluten, contains 2% or less of the following: oat fiber, soybean oil, salt, wheat bran, rolled wheat, rye nuggets, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate), yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), degermed yellow corn meal, rolled oats, rye flakes, caramel color, triticale flakes, parboiled brown rice, refinery syrup, honey, barley flakes, flaxseed, millet, sorghum flour, azodiacarbonamide, natural flavor (maltodextrin, natural flavor, silicon dioxide, lactic acid).

just those 4 are names for MSG, not to mention the other things it is in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:59 am
The original McDonalds was started by two brothers who had taken their father's restaurant concept, and moved it to San Bernadino, where they started a drive-up restaurant which was not as successful as they wanted. They got rid of the car hops, and therefore the teenage customers who were taking up space and not spending very much money. They then started a burger joint which was aimed at attacting families, when they realized they were selling more burgers than anything else. They instituted strict portion control and offered Mom and Dad a cheap, quick way to feed themselves and the kids. That was the point. They had invented the "fast food" joint.

That was in 1940. Ray Kroc came along in the 1950s and expanded it through franchising. When the McDonald brothers opened their new restaurant in San Bernadino, neither they nor anyone else was thinking about whether or not the meals were nutritious. So Wolf Woman is wrong--people don't go there because they want cheap fries and crappy burgers. They go there because it's easy for them. It may not be the best choice they could make, but that's no reason to demonize them for making the choice.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 09:03 am
@Setanta,
you go to mc donalds expecting steak? Soup? Caviar ?

no.

you go to mcdonalds because they serve burgers and fries and thats what people get.
thats not wrong.
Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 09:09 am
This is stupid.
When I take my kid to McDonalds, we go for the greasy burger and fries. If I wanted her to have a healthy meal, I'd cook at home.

This is just stupid.
chai2

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 09:10 am
@shewolfnm,
Well yeah, that's good if your kid's never been exposed to it.

But, reality is, most kids are already exposed.

What you have seen, you can't unsee. Or...something?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 09:11 am
@shewolfnm,
It's wrong to take a snotty attitude and say that people go there because they want a crappy burger, Miss Holier Than Thou.
chai2

@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

you go to mc donalds expecting steak? Soup? Caviar ?

no.

you go to mcdonalds because they serve burgers and fries and thats what people get.
thats not wrong.

If they had a Tim Hortons here, I would go there expecting soup and a roll.

and a jelly donut.
chai2

@Bella Dea,
You're stupid.