Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:22 pm
This can't be the first thread can it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 14,470 • Replies: 154

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:30 pm
Sorry, I haven't learned to copy links on my iPad, but people do know that there are seven dead in Oslo in bombings of a major government building and some sort of slaughter at a young peoples political camp which the prime minister was due to attend?

Apparently there is a suspect in custody on that one.
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:41 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14254705

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/jul/22/oslo-explosion-live-coverage

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
This is the one I found when I was about to start a thread, myself.

http://able2know.org/topic/174895-1

Looks like at least 17 dead. Oof.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

This can't be the first thread can it?

It's not, Gungasnake started one, but he's a complete ****, so I don't want to comment on his thread. It's Friday night, I'm far from sober and about to go to bed. I'll try to post something sensible in the morning.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:58 pm
@sozobe,
Damn...thought I'd done a proper search...
wandeljw

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 07:50 pm
@dlowan,
Hang in there, Dlowan. others may join this thread.

The last I heard is that they have the man who did the shooting in custody. He may have set the bombs to provide a distraction while he shot individuals at a youth camp sponsored by a political party. The man is not talking, however.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:00 pm
@wandeljw,
The European press reports that the man they have in custody is Norwegian and that he has ties to right extremist groups. They also found an additional
bomb in the youth camp that for some reason did not detonate (thank goodness).

Yes, 17 people are confirmed dead, and many many injured, among them other European tourists that were in Oslo at the time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:06 pm
@dlowan,
I've been following it on and off all day via the guardian online.
Very very depressing.

parados

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Very very depressing.

Even more depressing than that.

The latest word is 80 dead at the Youth camp.
Quote:
OSLO, Norway — At least 80 people were killed in a shooting attack on a youth camp in Norway, police said, a devastating elevation of the death toll in twin attacks that included a bomb attack in Oslo.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Seems that they have a Norwegian version of "Tim McVey" in custody.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:12 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, farmerman.

That's the guy: Anders Behring Breivik
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/276366_100002651290254_7355937_n.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:14 pm
@parados,
Oh, I didn't know that, I've been off reading.
Madness.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:18 pm
Parados is correct. At this time, the death toll has climbed to 80.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 08:45 pm
@wandeljw,
Just got home.....I so hope that this is a single person and not a terrorist cell.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:37 am
@dlowan,
Even Al qaida were caught on the wrong foot. From today's Guardian.
Quote:

Terrorism analyst Will McCants told the New York Times that a group calling itself Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, saying it was a response to Norwegian forces' presence in Afghanistan and to insults to the prophet Muhammad – a claim later withdrawn.

This shows how fragmented terrorist groups are today. It's not some top down group organising things, but a bunch of dispate autonomous organisations with a common agenda. The fact that they were ready to claim credit for something someone else did, shows how clueless their leadership is.

One of the reasons there were so many casualties is because Oslo didn't consider itself a target. It was one bomb that caused all this, and it was able to get very close to public buildings. In London there are bollards and other security features designed to stop this. The 7/7 attacks were lots of little bombs coordinated to go off together.

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:03 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Terrorism analyst Will McCants told the New York Times that a group calling itself Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, saying it was a response to Norwegian forces' presence in Afghanistan and to insults to the prophet Muhammad – a claim later withdrawn.

So, have I got this straight, izzy?

Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami (or the Helpers of the Global Jihad) initially claimed responsibility for an attack it had nothing to do with?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:22 am
@msolga,
Yes, but only because they didn't know, and assumed, like everyone else that it was an Islamic terrorist. What is ironic is that the sort of people who most virulently attack all moslems, not just terrorists, are people just like this criminal.
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:25 am
@izzythepush,
Crazy stuff!
Crazy times.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:30 am
@msolga,
At the end of the day it all comes down to extremists. Al Qaida and far right groups may view each other as the enemy, but you couldn't put a cigarette paper between them.