izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finnbarr Saunders, and his double entendres wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

You've obviously not read the books.

Really?

I could have sworn I did, but certainly you know better.

Alright then, I've told you what sex scene was gratutious, and did not appear in the book. You claim to have read this one book, can you tell me where it appears, page numbers etc. Or are the pages stuck together?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:43 pm
@McTag,
Also saw it when you posted it on another thread.

I get it, you think it's clever.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Your becoming more sophomoric with each post.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Finnbarr Saunders, and his double entendres

VIZ!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:56 pm
@hingehead,
Can you define "Viz??
hingehead

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's a silly risque comic book from Britain
http://www.viz.co.uk/

It takes the piss out of the traditional 'Beano' sort of comic book. It's unlikely you'll find it amusing because you wouldn't have seen a Beano (I had pommy immigrant kids across the road growing up).

Finnbarr is one of the regular characters. Others I remember were Sid the Sexist, The Fat Slags and Roger Mellie the Man on the Tellie. And bloody Billy The Fish.
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1962586_f520.jpg
Top Tips was the best.

I was just letting Izzy know I got the reference, I don't think it has much to do with you, it just popped into his/her head with all that talk of sex scenes and your nom de plume.
msolga

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:44 pm
Not related to the posts above.

What continues to haunt/shock/sadden me immensely is the premature cutting short of such beautiful, idealistic young peoples' lives.
So much potential lost.
Such immense grief for those who knew & loved them.

I have taught so many students who look exactly like these young people.
I can't imagine the depth of grief that their families, those who knew them & Norwegian citizens are experiencing right now, as a result of the mad delusions of one person.

Take a look at their faces. They will remind you so much of young people you know.

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/07/29/2523662/gal-land-Kjersti-Berg-Sand-600x400.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/world/victims-of-norway-attacks-20110727-1hz91.html
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:00 am
@hingehead,
Fair enough.

Thanks for the explanation.

Oh, it does have much to do with me, where izzy is concerned, but that's neither here nor there as respects you and your post.

I'm pretty sure that based on the post to which you responded, izzy doesn't understand what a double entendre is but I didn't want to suggest the same of you without understanding the meaning of "Viz". I still can't be certain that you do, but I've no reason to believe that you don't.

Again, thanks.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:04 am
@msolga,
It is terrible when any innocent life is snuffed out.

This thread has gone well off track (as they sometimes do in A2K) but no one should interpret that as a lack of consideration for the victims of the Norwegian atacks.

You're free to post in whatever thread you like, but there is another thread on this subject which has remained truer to the topic than this one. If you need a link, I can provide you with one.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm aware of the other thread, Finn.
And I've really appreciated Walter's updates there.

But I really, don't think it would matter which of the two threads I posted to.

I just wanted to say what I said, wherever I said it.
To me, the loss of those beautiful young people is the most profound immediate, and also the long-term legacy, of one crazed person's deluded actions.

And I grieve for the people who loved them & also Norwegians society, as it come to grips with such a huge loss.

I think some of us seem to have rather lost sight of that huge loss.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think you're the one who's demonstrated a lack of understanding Finnbar. Not able to give me a page number, so you must accept, that that one scene was gratuitous. You wouldn't get Viz, it can be quite highbrow, there are a lot of literary and historical references. Hingehead is correct, Top Tips is the best.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01045/SNF17VIZFX-682_1045102a.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:40 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

To me, the loss of those beautiful young people is the most profound immediate, and also the long-term legacy, of one crazed person's deluded actions.

And I grieve for the people who loved them & also Norwegians society, as it come to grips with such a huge loss.

I think some of us seem to have rather lost sight of that huge loss.

You've hit the nail on the head. It is a terrible tragedy, and you would think that the world would unite in condemnation.

There is a difference to the reactions of 9/11. After 9/11, there was pretty much universal condemnation. This time,the right wing media has been running round trying to cover its own backs, and spread lies. Pundit Glen Beck, favourite of the Tea Party movement, compared the murdered children to the Hitler Youth. I think that's almost as shocking as the murders.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 12:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Pundit Glen Beck, favourite of the Tea Party movement, compared the murdered children to the Hitler Youth. I think that's almost as shocking as the murders.

It is.

But on the other hand, it clearly proves that he (and others?) has no idea about history (to join the Hitler youth was [more or less] compulsory) and no idea about political parties in Europe (any political party here has a youth organisation)
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 01:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Pundit Glen Beck, favourite of the Tea Party movement, compared the murdered children to the Hitler Youth. I think that's almost as shocking as the murders.

He actually said that, Walter?

If so, he's a thoroughly contemptible, despicable & opportunistic person.
A danger to his own society in his ignorant beliefs.

Does that, in Glenn Beck's terms, justify the killings of those young peple in Norway, at the hands of a deranged mad man?

Sometimes you seriously despair.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 01:18 am
@msolga,
Beck said the camp “sounds a little like the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

CNN report
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 01:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So they deserved what they got then?

I honestly don't know how to respond to such a crazed argument.

So idealistic young people who strive for a fairer society deserve to be targeted & killed?

Thankfully Norwegians don't need to respond to such arguments from the likes of Glenn Beck in their own society.

They would probably (& quite rightly) consider them ridiculous & quite malicious. Say nothing of completely offensive & opportunistic.

I just wonder how many of Beck's devotees in the US would actually buy his "argument".

If enough of them do, then I fear for the future of their country.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As always Walter, yours is the voice of reason, and impeccable research.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:12 am
@msolga,
This is from the Guardian on Beck.

Glenn Beck likens the young people massacred on the Norwegian island of Utøya to the Nazi party's youth wing, the rightwing US broadcaster and Tea Party favourite, has compared those who were massacred on the Norwegian island of Utøya to the Nazi party's youth wing.

"There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like the Hitler youth, or, whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics. Disturbing," said Beck on his syndicated radio show.

The comments were condemned by Torbjørn Eriksen, a former press secretary to Jens Stoltenberg, Norway's prime minister.

Eriksen described the comment as "a new low" for Beck, telling the Daily Telegraph: "Young political activists have gathered at Utøya for over 60 years to learn about and be part of democracy, the very opposite of what the Hitler Youth was about. Glenn Beck's comments are ignorant, incorrect and extremely hurtful."

Sagging ratings, a string of damaging remarks and an exodus of advertisers combined earlier this year to end Beck's tenure on the US cable network Fox News.

A campaign to pressure advertisers to boycott the pundit's daily slot had been gathering pace, while Beck was embroiled in battles erupting from his frequently aired conspiracy theories involving individuals ranging from the financier George Soros to Barack Obama.

His denunciation of Soros included reference to his wartime childhood in Hungary. In remarks that were decried as "monstrous" by Jewish groups, the broadcaster claimed: "Here's a Jewish boy helping send the Jews to the death camps."

However, his latest comments about the "disturbing" nature of political youth camps may come as a surprise to Beck's followers in the Tea Party movement.

The anti-tax, anti-immigration movement has been holding summer camps in states including Florida and Missouri where children have been taught a curriculum based on God, the US constitution and "the defence of economic liberty".

I've slightly edited it to remove links to videos etc, but I've not altered the article itself.
McTag

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 03:43 am
@izzythepush,

Good pieces by Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo in the Guardian this week too.

Glenn Beck needs a good slap across his fat chops.
hingehead

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:16 am
You are all just a bunch of lefties misconstruing Beck's words to bring down the US constitution
Hear for yourself:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2011/jul/26/glenn-beck-norway-hitler-youth-video?CMP=twt_fd