ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:34 am
@McTag,
I read the Mankell (liked it). What was the title of the Nesbo piece, if you remember?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:18 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What was the title of the Nesbo piece, if you remember?

It's in yesterday's G2 section: "The end of innocence".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Online since Wednesday, and with a different title: Norway's lost innocence
parados

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope this isn't true, but it probably is.

Quote:
The U.S. should be ashamed that its laws would allow high-capacity gun clips used in the Norwegian massacre to be sold and shipped overseas, says a New York congresswoman seeking to restrict use of such clips.

"There should be a lot of shame," Rep. Carolyn McCarthy told Politico. "We’re sending a death warrant to other parts of the world."

The Democrat commented after issuing a statement saying a 1,500-page manifesto by Anders Behring Breivik detailed how he used lax U.S. gun laws to help arm himself before killing 76 people in a gun and bomb attack in Norway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43933511/ns/politics-more_politics/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:40 am
@hingehead,
Glenn Beck: "Who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."
.... "like Hitler youth".

What an insensitive ignoramus the man is to make comments like that. (Hitler youth at a Labor gathering?????? Rolling Eyes )

But aren't young people in the US interested in politics at all?
Don't those who are, belong to political organizations & attend meetings & gatherings?
What is so strange to Glenn Beck about a youth Labor camp in Norway?
In Australia we have Young Labor & also the Young Liberals. The youth wings of the two major parties.
I'm certain many other countries have similar political organizations for young people.
Beck should educate himself before opening his mouth & making ignorant & offensive comments like this.

parados

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:43 am
@msolga,
hinge,

The article points out that Beck's own political organization, 9/12, conducts camps for kids.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@parados,
Quote:
The article points out that Beck's own political organization, 9/12, conducts camps for kids.

Parados, which article are you referring to?
I was commenting to the Guardian video that hinge posted.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:59 am
@msolga,
He's commenting on the article posted by ME
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
Ah.
I see.
A bit confusing.
I'll go back & see if I can find it.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:06 am
@msolga,
Found it (I think):
Quote:
....However, his latest comments about the "disturbing" nature of political youth camps may come as a surprise to Beck's followers in the Tea Party movement.

The anti-tax, anti-immigration movement has been holding summer camps in states including Florida and Missouri where children have been taught a curriculum based on God, the US constitution and "the defence of economic liberty".
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:07 am
@msolga,
Good, sorry for shouting.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:09 am
@izzythepush,
Did you get over-excited? Smile
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:09 am
@msolga,
I always do when I talk about me.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
Laughing

Parados mentioned an organization called "9/12" conducting camps for kids.
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:18 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Who would do a political camp for kids? Perhaps, Glenn Beck’s own 9/12 Project?

This month the Tampa 9/12 project held a summer camp for kids called the Tampa Liberty School which was described on their own website as, “This part time summer camp will meet from 9am to noon on July 11-15 at the Paideia School in Temple Terrace. Kids aged 8-12 years old will have fun while learning the principles of liberty, free markets, and limited government. They will also learn the values of personal responsibility, faith, courage, hard work, reverence and thrift.”

A summer camp that teaches the principle of limited government sounds a lot like the political indoctrination of children to me.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/glenn-beck-norway-hitler-youth
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:19 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Parados mentioned an organization called "9/12" conducting camps for kids.

That are (various) summer camps, organised by the 9/11 project.

(I think, I gave the link when I posted about it - or on the other thread.)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:21 am
@msolga,
Yes, if there is an organistation similar to the Hitler Youth, it's the one run by the tea party. To my shame I once wrote a column and did some tv work for them.

http://photos.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/roger-mellie--122519360729631900.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter.

Izzy, you're saying you worked for the Tea Party?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
To my shame I once wrote a column and did some tv work for them.

That's even better as if you'd told us that you dated a Portsmouth supporter. Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 08:51 am
@msolga,
Summer camps in America quite frequently seem to come with political and religious indoctrination. I've never been to one myself, but American friends of mine have children who were. Based on the stories they come home with, the summer-camp episode of NPR's series This American Life seems to capture the spirit quite well. (Note to self: I need to plug This American Life more often. It's a treasure!)