"The assault on the 'Mavi Marmara' was wrong, and a gift to Israel's enemies"

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
Operation Make the World Hate Us
The assault on the 'Mavi Marmara' was wrong, and a gift to Israel's enemies.

Quote:
Israel does not need enemies: it has itself. Or more precisely: it has its government. The Netanyahu-Barak government has somehow found a way to lose the moral high ground, the all-important war for symbols and meanings, to Hamas. That is quite an accomplishment. Operation Make the World Hate Us, it might have been called.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
you are an anti-semite.
dadpad

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:36 am
This on top of the false passport saga.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well, yes.

Not sure what the hell else to say.

Except that I hope it shifts US policy to a tougher one re its expectations of Israel?
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 06:43 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

you are an anti-semite.

To whoever zeroed Dys, I do hope you realised that his utterance was (I believe) an ironic preemption of what all too often follows upon any criticism of Israel's political decisions...the accusation the the critic is only motivated by anti-Semitism.

failures art

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 08:34 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

you are an anti-semite.

Zionist!

A
R
T
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:50 am
Israel is a fascinating topic, is it not.

Of course, I often wonder if it would be a topic at all if it weren't surrounded by Muslims who wanted to wipe it from the face of the earth.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
Israelis must have a better sense of humor than I do. Put me in charge of an Israeli submarine and let some Irish ship with "Rachel Corrie" painted on the bow try to sail past me into Israeli waters, and there would likely be no survivors.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Operation Make the World Hate Us
The assault on the 'Mavi Marmara' was wrong, and a gift to Israel's enemies.

Quote:
Israel does not need enemies: it has itself. Or more precisely: it has its government. The Netanyahu-Barak government has somehow found a way to lose the moral high ground, the all-important war for symbols and meanings, to Hamas. That is quite an accomplishment. Operation Make the World Hate Us, it might have been called.

Israel hasn't lost any moral high ground.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:59 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Well, yes.

Not sure what the hell else to say.

Except that I hope it shifts US policy to a tougher one re its expectations of Israel?

Actually, Obama's expectations of Israel have been absurdly unjust, and he is now being forced to relax them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:59 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
you are an anti-semite.

To whoever zeroed Dys, I do hope you realised that his utterance was (I believe) an ironic preemption of what all too often follows upon any criticism of Israel's political decisions...the accusation the the critic is only motivated by anti-Semitism.

I don't think I've ever seen any criticism of Israel that wasn't anti-Semitic in nature.

But I concur with your assessment of Dyslexia's comment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:01 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Israelis must have a better sense of humor than I do. Put me in charge of an Israeli submarine and let some Irish ship with "Rachel Corrie" painted on the bow try to sail past me into Israeli waters, and there would likely be no survivors.

Those are my sentiments as well. Israel is far gentler than I'd be in their circumstances.
0 Replies