I think my kitty is dying

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:47 am
I've had my oldest cat for over 18 years. Lately she has been getting drainage from her eyes and getting a bit thin. She had difficulty cleaning herself - which she was an extremely clean kitty before - so me and my youngest daughter have been trying to keep her clean.

Now this weekend she isn't moving well - she can't jump - the drainage is getting bad and she isn't eating even can cat food which is a treat. I've been bringing her water to make sure she drinks.

This morning I couldn't get her to drink water. We were able to initially get the vet to see her today, but then he had an emergency surgery so she won't be able to be seen until tomorrow. I didn't push it as just from all appearances she is old and they doubt there is anything they can do, but make her comfortable.

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:59 am
18 years is a good long life. I'm sure you gave her a happy one.

Having been through 3 cats who lived long long lives, I can share with you that she'll probably have a few more ups and downs. I don't mean like she'll be her old self, but will perk up a bit, drink some water, maybe eat.

Just being nearby is a comfort to her.

I'm sorry it's come to this time. It's never easy.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:01 am
@chai2,
oh...you might want to put a board at an incline up against the litter box, in case she has problems getting into it.

A little ramp.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:05 am
@chai2,
Yes - good idea - she seems to be peeing right outside it as she is having difficulty to get into it.

Last night I just had her on my lap, petting her. She used to be such a loud purrer that you just had to put your hand on her and you could hear her in the next room. Last night I couldn't hear her even on my lap. I did feel a very slight vibration so I assumed she was purring.
dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:08 am
@Linkat,
Sorry to hear this....be thinking of you both. It's hard.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:10 am
@Linkat,
What kind of drainage is it? Clear, green, yellow? What about from her nose? Any drainage there? It could be conjunctivitis. It is treatable. If she has drainage from her nose also, it could be an upper respiratory infection. If a cat does not eat or drink water for two days their kidneys will start to shut down. Is she urinating at all? You might want to put a touch of karo syrup with some water in a syringe and get it into her if you can. 18 years is a good long life for a cat and I am sure she has had a great life with you. No matter what happens, I wish you the best.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:12 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yes - good idea - she seems to be peeing right outside it as she is having difficulty to get into it.

Last night I just had her on my lap, petting her. She used to be such a loud purrer that you just had to put your hand on her and you could hear her in the next room. Last night I couldn't hear her even on my lap. I did feel a very slight vibration so I assumed she was purring.

Re the pee outside of it, yeah, that's what Lulu did. As soon as we put the ramp up, she climbed right it.

On the purring...yeah...I've found toward the end their purr gets really loud.
If I've ascertained they aren't in any pain, I think maybe they're like high or something...you know, euphoric. I think this is part of the dying process, IMO.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:30 am
@Arella Mae,
Just from her eyes - it seems she may be going blind - kind of a black stuff.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:38 am
I'm sorry, Linkat.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:42 am
@Linkat,
I have never encountered black stuff drainage linkat so I wouldn't have any idea what that might be. Has she taken any liquid in yet? Right now, that is the most important thing you can do for her.....try to keep her hydrated and comfortable. I am so sorry.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:46 am
@Linkat,
Re the eye drainage.
You made me think about when Jezzer died.

She had been getting smaller and smaller, no interest in eating, just sleeping alot.
I would watch her sometimes to see if she was still breathing.

On a Sunday afternoon, she looked like she was dozing, her eyes half open. I put my hand on her head, and she didn't move. She had some gunk in the corner of her eye, and I moved my thumb down and wiped it away, gently of course.
Looking back, she must have been more asleep than awake, because moving my thumb across her face made her start, like I woke her up. Just a tiny head movement. However, (and I felt bad about this for awhile, until I realized it was inevitable) that little startle started a heart attack.
I watched her breathe really shallow, and her pupils dialated. I felt horrible, thinking I'd done something to her.
I got my husband and told him she was dying. We were both afraid of her, well, not dying...being in pain....So we were going to drive her a couple of blocks down to the vet to put her asleep.

We barely got down the block when she died in his arms. If she was going to die anywhere, that was the perfect place, as she was his baby girl.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:01 am
@chai2,
I am so sorry chai2. I have a passion for cats. I always have. I remember my first one when I was a kid. A beautiful black and white angora named Puff. It's so hard when they die but I think you are right about her dying in his arms...probably exactly where she wanted to be. It brings back memories for me when I lost my favorite cat. Bittersweet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:06 am
@Arella Mae,
Not sure - I am at work - hubby is at home and said he would try to give her some.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:09 am
@chai2,
That is what I am concerned whether she is in any pain or not. She will meow really loud once in a while so I'm worried about that - one reason we wanted to bring her to the vet. If she is comfortable then she can just rest out her time with us.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:32 am
@Linkat,
I am sorry to hear this news Link.

Keep the dear thing comfortable and in good company. Hopefully she understands that she isn't alone and still is loved very much.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 01:58 pm
@Linkat,
I'm really sorry to hear about thi, Linkat. I just gave mine a little extra attention - just in case.
Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:09 pm
@roger,
Thanks all. I just got off the phone with my husband. He said she really isn't moving much at all. We have kept her in the soft sided pet carrier with the fluffy bedding underneath to keep her comfty. She hasn't moved out, but is breathing.

He called the vet and they will see her end of day today. Not sure what her fellow kitty will do without her. He has been with her since I acquired him.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:09 pm
@Linkat,
You have my sympathy and best wishes! May her journey have peace and the least suffering possible. For many of us, our dear pets are like family to us - only less vocal (most of the time).

You might be surprised as to how the kitty may rally. I had my 2 cats (Bonkers and Meshuganeh ...Sugar for short) for 19 yrs and 17.5 yrs. They both passed on within 2 months of one another.

With one of my elderly cats, I pushed IV fluids into her as her kidneys were failing. She seemed at peace with no suffering until the last week. When I saw her basically giving up and not drinking or eating at all, I asked the Vet to put her down as it was more human for her. This is all very indivdual to the condition of the cat's illness and age.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
I'm so sorry to read about this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 02:35 pm
@Ragman,
That's kind of how I feel. I don't want to see her suffer. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but when she wails out, I'm not sure if it is because she is in pain or wants a bit of attention.

My little girl is most affected. I had to lie in bed with her last night as she was crying. This morning before going to school she goes to the kitty gives her a gentle pat and kiss and says she loves her.

My older daughter is also sad, but is the type not to say anything or show it as much. When ready and after pondering things, she will talk with me. But is not in her nature vocal or up front about it.