Who is the most persecuted religion?

Ceili

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 05:21 pm
@Foofie,
Left wing liberals? Self-righteous much? I would think it's the other way around. Gays have been persecuted by the religious for a very long time as have many sub-cultures. I don't doubt that these smug Christians aren't that well loved in these groups, tit-for-tat I guess. Christians have not done the christian thing and turned the other cheek, instead they've ganged up on these people and made laws to hurt or ostracized them.
I also get a kick out of the religious who claim they are pro-life, but are pretty choosey about who's life is worth saving or living. ie death penalty...
That being said, I know many religious people who are also liberal, they've evolved though from hating to loving thy neighbour and are actually involved with the poor and disenfranchised.

Meanwhile, I'll wipe a tear for the poor persecuted christian in N. America, if I could find one.
maxdancona

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I doubt you will read a lot about Christians being persecuted in the US. In other countries? Most definitely.

World wide, Christianity is one of the least persecuted religions.

There are instances of Christians being persecuted here and there. But come on, no other religion has it so good.
maxdancona

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:17 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie,

Christians are the highest caste in western society. They have the most privilege they have the most power and they control the most wealth. They wield a disproportionate amount of political power.

Lower castes are always a bit resentful of the Brahmans. I find it a bit ridiculous to call this "persecution".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
I doubt you will read a lot about Christians being persecuted in the US. In other countries? Most definitely.

World wide, Christianity is one of the least persecuted religions.

There are instances of Christians being persecuted here and there. But come on, no other religion has it so good.

I was not saying that Christians were persecuted more than anyone else.
0 Replies

Foofie

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:51 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Left wing liberals? Self-righteous much? I would think it's the other way around. Gays have been persecuted by the religious for a very long time as have many sub-cultures. I don't doubt that these smug Christians aren't that well loved in these groups, tit-for-tat I guess. Christians have not done the christian thing and turned the other cheek, instead they've ganged up on these people and made laws to hurt or ostracized them.
I also get a kick out of the religious who claim they are pro-life, but are pretty choosey about who's life is worth saving or living. ie death penalty...
That being said, I know many religious people who are also liberal, they've evolved though from hating to loving thy neighbour and are actually involved with the poor and disenfranchised.

Meanwhile, I'll wipe a tear for the poor persecuted christian in N. America, if I could find one.

In North America there are basically two groups, Catholics/liberal Protestants and Evangelical Protestants. Many Catholics and liberal Protestants feel very comfortable mocking the religion of the Evangelicals. And, they tend not to live where the Evangelicals live. There is a bit of divisiveness amongst those who claim to be followers of Christ.

Anyway, persecution comes in more than one form, I believe. Treating someone as though his/her faith is a waste of one's time is the "new persecution" that I believe I see between some of those whose Christianity is plain vanilla Catholicism/liberal Protestantism and Evangelicalism.

I do not include Jews, since the official verdict of Judaism is that it is just a religion that was not allowed to come to its natural conclusion (aka, accept Christ).
BillRM

Wed 15 Jun, 2011 02:02 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I do not include Jews, since the official verdict of Judaism is that it is just a religion that was not allowed to come to its natural conclusion (aka, accept Christ).

LOL and more LOL......... Drunk
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:57 am
@raprap,
Quote:
If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.

OMG! I am putting that as my sig!! Wink Wink Wink Very Happy 2 Cents
0 Replies

IndigoKidz

Sun 23 Sep, 2012 06:46 pm
@BDV,
Excellent Question! It truly amazes me how, with the resources available to so many to do honest research, so many are so ignorant to truth.

By far, Christianity is the most persecuted of all religions. They are also the most severely persecuted (imprisonment, torture, beheading, stoning, and other forms of capital punishment). This persecution of Christians is rising each & every year (as the Christ foretold would happen).

Assuming that just because Christianity has the largest followers & thus 'must be' the bully, is called assumption, & not fact. With in Christianity, Catholicism is the most persecuted.

Many probably don't realize that there are many different sects w/in Islam. And the majority of persecution experienced by Muslims, is actually by other Muslim sects/ beliefs. It is truly sad how much, so many, rely on the media for truth. And even sadder that the media is giving a perception that couldn't be further from reality. Most middle eastern individuals that seek asylum in the U.S. we're former Muslims that converted to Christianity. A crime that serves a Death Sentence. And Christians that live in an Islamic country are constantly in fear. They pay extremely higher taxes compared to their Muslim neighbor. They receive little to no education. They rarely are permitted to own land or property.

Just recently, & still playing out, an 11yr old ILLITERATE Christian girl was charged w/ blasphemy. A crime that has a death sentence if found guilty. She is charged w/ burning a few pgs out of a School TEXT book that teaches young Muslim girls how to properly read the Koran! She used these pgs, mixed in w/ other papers, to start a fire for her mother to cook. She CAN'T read! She had no idea these pgs were in there, nor would've expected them to be as they are & live in a small Christian village in Pakistan. It came out that these pgs were planted to get enough support to get rid of this small Christian village. It is also reported that she may have down syndrome. But, even though it IS believed that the pgs were planted, she is STILL being prosecuted. This is ONLY one, of many truths of Christian persecution & the severity of it!
0 Replies

IndigoKidz

Sun 23 Sep, 2012 06:55 pm
@maxdancona,
May I ask where you get your info from? You couldn't be further from the Truth, sadly.

Christians are the MOST persecuted religion in the world. They also face the MOST severe forms of persecution. And, sadly, this is only increasing each & every year!

You obviously have access to the Internet. Please, utilize it. And sadly, you are not alone w/ your perception. It is baffling just how many people believe just as you do. Yet the facts, numbers, stats are all over the place showing just how badly Christians are being persecuted. And SEVERELY persecuted.

Here is something to get you started- http://www.pewforum.org/Government/Rising-Restrictions-on-Religion(5).aspx

Another FACT is that the majority of Muslims suffering from persecution come from other sects/ beliefs (or, denomination, so to speak) of Muslims. NOT from Christians or Jews.
maxdancona

Sun 23 Sep, 2012 10:05 pm
@IndigoKidz,
Indigo,

Let's do a simple experiment.

For the next two weeks live as a muslim. Tell everyone at your school or work that you have decided to become a Muslim. Be serious about it, if you are a female wear a head scarf, if you are a male tell people attend services at a mosque and let people know that you are doing so.

Then report back if you life has become easier or more difficult.

If you did this, I think your mind would change really quickly.
Smileyrius

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:17 am
@BDV,
Last I saw, the Jedi's were being hunted down by Annakin Skywalker.

Although they are starting to increase again in number, many have fallen to the persecution of the dark side
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:22 am
@maxdancona,
Try telling your friends or family that you have become Ahmish, Scientologist, Jehovah Witness or Moomin and you will have the same outcome. Non religeous people fear religion and eagerly try to save their loved one from it. Persecution is universal, some more than others. Few religions are accepted by the non religious, usually the mainstream ones that dont require any personal change.
maxdancona

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:30 am
@Smileyrius,
No Smiley. The problem isn't non-religious people.

It's people of one religion attacking people of other religions. We live in a society dominated by religion (how many political candidates don't claim to believe in God). The non-religious have learned to get along as a minority.
Setanta

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:42 am
This joker is too much. He talks about Jedi being hunted down as though they were real, and as though they were a religious sect. Then he mentions the Moomin. Who the f*ck are the Moomin? This boy ain't playin' with a full deck.
djjd62

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Who the f*ck are the Moomin?

Shocked

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Moomin_kuva.JPG

The Moomins (Swedish: Mumintroll, Finnish: Muumi) are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Swedish-Finn illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts in Finland. They are a family of trolls, who are white and roundish, with large snouts, that make them resemble hippopotamuses. The carefree and adventurous family live in their house in Moominvalley, in the forests of Finland, though in the past their temporary residences have included a lighthouse and a theatre. They have many adventures along with their various friends.

i love the moomins
Smileyrius

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:13 am
@maxdancona,
Please do not believe that I was suggesting non religeous people as the only perpetrators, religeous intolerance is oft far more spiteful from those within religion.

That said, my comment was merely pointing out that most of the less mainstream religions receive more persecution than those that are commonly accepted.

I believe that there is a correlation between the speed and degree to which a religion changes a persons personality, and the amount of persecution it will receive from people both religious and nonreligious alike.

Setanta - You'll have to mind my sense of humour. Not many get it, which suggests by the common use of the word, I am unfunny. It's a condition I am happy to live with.
Smileyrius

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:15 am
@djjd62,
And Dj, I too love the Moomins. My image of the moomins was shattered when they turned up on my doorstep in black suits and badges on a 2 year ministryministry, they look nothing like they do in the picture
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 08:54 am
@Smileyrius,
You can have a sense of humor, but as you note, others may not be amused. You're spreading bullshit. The "non-religious" aren't persecuting anyone. As an astute blogger once put it, if you meet anyone who claims that religious people are persecuted in the United States, you're talking to a moron.

Just how do you claim that "non-religious" people persecute religious people? Or do you just make this **** up as you go along, and don't feel obliged to back up your claims?
Smileyrius

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:59 am
@Setanta,
Im not talking about the United states. Im not talking governments, or any organisation of non religious people. I am talking about friends and family, people that are close to those who take up a religion.
I speak only from my own experience and in some cases observations. If your loved one became a Bible bearing evangelist or a God loving do gooder, I imagine you would have something to say about it too.

Of course I am happy to be wrong, I write from perception rather than empirical fact
Setanta

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:11 am
@Smileyrius,
Yeah, you certainly don't write from any perspective which relies on facts. As has already been pointed out to you, religious people are persecuted by other relgious people. If doesn't matter that they might be members of government, their motive is religion. Were any member of my family to become a bible thumper--a highly unlikely event--the only result as regards me would be that i wouldn't talk to them at all. However, even if i did, telling someone that you think they are wrong is not persecution.