13
   

Who is the most persecuted religion?

 
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:26 pm
@Arella Mae,
I agree that many take ordinary muslims as terrorists. Reminds me of the hugenots - who I know nothing about.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Quote:
6,000,000 where jewish

Most were not religious so they could counted as atheists. Atheists were persecuted. Both Christians and Muslims target atheists.


Sorry, most of the Jews killed in the Holocaust where not atheists, since the European Jews were believers, especially the three million Polish Jews.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:37 pm
@Foofie,
You know that how?

I suppose Most is a useful word, but I don't trust it.
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm with you. How in the world could anyone say most of those that died in the holocaust were anything but perhaps Jewish?
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
The problem with saying that Judaism was the recipient of persecution is that the reason Jews were persecuted was REALLY not for the religion, but for the belief that Jews are a separate people and therefore did not belong where they were.

So, the confusion continues, in that some people think Jews reflect a religion, others think that Jews reflect a people, others think that Jews reflect a race, others think that Jews reflect some combination of the aforementioned definitions.

I think Jews are an historical oddity, since they started out as a people of color, four-thousand years ago, many became like the people where they lived outside of Israel, after the end of ancient Israel, and today are morphing into all new types of hybrids. I think this is due to the reality that some Gentiles like to mate with a Jew?

If the DNA analysis was ever done, many people I believe would be surprised that they carry a Jewish gene or two.
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:49 pm
@Foofie,
What does that have to do with the statement about most of them were religious? I don't see how anyone can possibly honestly make that claim. How could anyone know that?
Foofie
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

What does that have to do with the statement about most of them were religious? I don't see how anyone can possibly honestly make that claim. How could anyone know that?


What claim? Know what?
BDV
 
  3  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
heres the problem already, the discussion has become "jewish"
Foofie
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:55 pm
@BDV,
BDV wrote:

heres the problem already, the discussion has become "jewish"


Might be because persecution to other religions have not been based on religion, unless it is the Christians that live in a land that is not Christian.
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:56 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Sorry, most of the Jews killed in the Holocaust where not atheists, since the European Jews were believers, especially the three million Polish Jews.


That claim. How can you say they were all believers? Because they were Jewish?
Foofie
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Quote:
Sorry, most of the Jews killed in the Holocaust where not atheists, since the European Jews were believers, especially the three million Polish Jews.


That claim. How can you say they were all believers? Because they were Jewish?


Because the only non-believing Jews in the first half of the 20th century would have been a handful of Communist party members. The rest of European Jews were either Orthodox or at least they believed in a Supreme Being. Few were atheists, as were few Christians. Atheism was a taboo belief at that point in time, based on my reading.
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
@Foofie,
I'm not trying to give you a hard time Foofie but people can claim to be anything. Thank you for explaining that to me.
0 Replies
 
BDV
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:06 pm
@Foofie,
so its ok to persecute christians in a country thats not chritian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! r u insANE?????????
maxdancona
 
  1  
Fri 10 Jun, 2011 09:02 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
This is a serious question. I am not trying to be derogatory or a smart mouth. Do you think they are persecuted in the US because of their religion or because so many view them as terrorists?


That might be a serious question, but it is not a good one. What difference does it make.

Why do you think the Jews were persecuted in the US?
Foofie
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 09:57 am
@BDV,
BDV wrote:

so its ok to persecute christians in a country thats not chritian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! r u insANE?????????


Where did I say that? I think you misconstrued a post of mine.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:06 am
Í'd say over time, and across the globe, "pagans" or other "infidels" have been the most persecuted. It hasn't mattered what one's religious confession were, so long as it were the target of a materially stronger one.
0 Replies
 
JPB
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 10:09 am
@BDV,
I believe Foofie was saying the opposite. That it's typically Christians moving onto a land not previously occupied by Christians and then persecuting the natives. I agree.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
This is a serious question. I am not trying to be derogatory or a smart mouth. Do you think they are persecuted in the US because of their religion or because so many view them as terrorists?


That might be a serious question, but it is not a good one. What difference does it make.

Why do you think the Jews were persecuted in the US?

Wow. How nice of you. It's not a good question? I am sorry, I didn't realize you were going to rate my questions. It's a discussion! It's the reason I stayed out of the S&R threads for so long. I think I will just stay out of them permanently.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 02:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella,

I wasn't attacking you personally. I was commenting on your question which I find troubling.

Can you understand how someone of Jewish descent might be upset if you asked them if whether they are persecuted was their religion or how people view them as subversives? It is a question that could be viewed as offensive.

If you are willing to have a discussion, I would be happy to engage with you. I am merely trying to discuss how Jews or Muslims might feel about questions like this.

I don't see what is wrong with questioning your question. If you are not open to being questioned, that perhaps a discussion is impossible.
Setanta
 
  1  
Sat 11 Jun, 2011 02:48 pm
Arella Mae was asking if Muslims were persecuted for their religion or because of the perception that they are terrorists, not Jews. You're either getting confused, or being willfully disingenuous.
 

Related Topics

Is The Bible Just a Good Book? - Question by anthony1312002
What Is Wrong With Christmas Customs? - Discussion by anthony1312002
Do Christian lives matter? - Discussion by gungasnake
Satan (a discussion) - Question by Smileyrius
"Thy kingdom come". What's that about? - Question by neologist
Where are all the churches in the mist of this? - Discussion by reasoning logic
No God in Christianity - Question by Cyracuz
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:28:51