Is Wiener's wiener a career killer?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Hi is not in a district that is in the Belt Belt and the polls to date does not support his career being over.
Yes; he is winning in the polls in his district.
He will take heart from that.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
There is simply NO benefit to be gained by resignation
That is my take, it was shame that was supposed to do the job, but he seems less willing to accept shame than some other politicians of late. Who was that guy who resigned with in hours of his misdeed going public recently? Barbra Walters said on the view this morning that Wiener should not resign, that he should be proud...this I like
Quote:
Barbara Walters still has Rep. Anthony Weiner's back - and she's impressed with his front, too.

On her show Thursday, the veteran journalist and "The View" co-host called the scandal-embroiled congressman's full frontal, X-rated photo flattering
The discussion about Weiner's private parts began when Walters' co-host Joy Behar suggested that he picture could have been of Andrew Breitbart, the conservative provocateur who's led the anti-Weiner charge over the last two weeks.

Walters acknowledged that she had seen the picture "days ago." As the women discussed the authenticity of the picture, Elisabeth Hasselbeck offered a theory: If Weiner hasn't denied it was his, then it must be flattering.

"It is," quipped Walters

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/06/10/2011-06-10_barbara_walters_on_anthony_weiner_scandal_xrated_photo_is_flattering_he_shouldnt.html#ixzz1OttFuD9g

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
My sense of the situation is that status quo extant American culture
and Weiner 's career cannot co-exist with the Weiner in evidence.

If he survives politically (which, in theory, might happen)
then that indicates a significant change in American culture as we know it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:02 pm

I 'm not even sure whether, in these circumstances
of the most recent pictorial appearance,
a politician coud survive in France, let alone here.

I wonder what Francis' opinion is about that.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
If he survives politically (which, in theory, might happen)
then that indicates a significant change in American culture as we know it
The event of the American people becoming aware of the long gathering collapse of the American economy and the "American way of life" is just such a wake-up call that could prompt the kind of change in American Culture that you are talking about. We are already seeing a fleeing from the concept that home ownership as a good thing, more people who could buy a home are choosing to rent instead because they dont believe in home ownership anymore. This would not have been predicted by hardly anyone who has lived during my lifetime. What will be the next sacred cow to fall?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Who is the victim here? So far as I know none of the women that Wiener was sexting complained, it was only because he made the mistake of hitting "reply to all" that we become aware of this, thousands of people got one of his tweeets by mistake. The French are going to complain about a victimless crime? I dont think so.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 04:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Who is the victim here?
I don 't believe that the operative consideration,
the functional consideration being argued here is victimization.
The issue is conceived as being whether IN THE ABSENCE OF A VICTIM,
American culture will tolerate a sexual exhibitionist on-the-job in Congress.
I am not taking a position (tho I will have to at election time; I 'm not gonna stay home on election day).

hawkeye10 wrote:
So far as I know none of the women that Wiener was sexting complained,
it was only because he made the mistake of hitting "reply to all" that we become aware of this,
thousands of people got one of his tweeets by mistake.
Yes, a mistake; I think he 'd agree to that, but was it an accident????
I suspect that some part of his subconscious mind was having some fun with that, with the perversity of the act.
Maybe his conscious mind was in on it too . . . .

He 's been called "a psycho" because of his pictorial adventures.
It makes me remember him in his pre-scandal days,
screaming, pointing his finger in all directions, jesticulating wildly on the floor of Congress.
Some might say: like "a psycho". There was not much complaint of that because it was not sex-related.

How b r o a d is his psychopathy ????????
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:04 pm
Oops! Sexting an underage girl may get the Wiener in legal hot water.
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:18 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

Not without any provable criminal intent to do so.

Having your pant or swim trunks fall off of you by accident in public is not the same as exposing yourself deliberately.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Has he done such?
BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Has he done such?

You are right if any of those pictures had ended in the hands of anyone underage I think we would had hear of it loud and clear as they are after him big time.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
0Oops! Sexting an underage girl may get the Wiener in legal hot water.
Has he been accused of this ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:18 pm

J Leno counsels that the Congressman shoud not name his new son Seymour.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
How about Lemore?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How about Lemore?
Presumably, that 'd be OK.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:52 pm
His political career is over to the extent that he will never be able to win any other elected position except the one he currently holds, and I doubt he will be able to keep that.

I also doubt he will serve out the rest of his congressional term.

The number of Democrats calling for him to resign has been growing. It's just a matter of time.

Aside from the fact that Weinergate is a millstone around the neck of the Democratic party, his value as a spokesperson and attack dog for the left wing is gone.

How will he effectively speak for his party when half the reporters in the room are asking him to confirm or deny rumors about his behavior?

How can he attack Republicans from such a position of weakness?

As others have pointed out, it isn't really about the sexting.

Typically, the people who have voted for Weiner don't care that much about such behavior. If when he was caught, he simply confessed and expressed his regret, he might have survived the scandal.

It was his reaction that revealed his true character and which has killed his career.

The audacity of his lying was monumental. Not only did he repeatedly and vociferously lie to the media, he had the unmitigate gall to scold reporters for jumping to conclusions. Moreover, he actually tried to blame his political opponents for what turned out to be his own lewd behavior...a tactic that too many on the left were only too happy to embrace.

Liberals could only repeat the mantra "He only lied about sex" so many times and they exhausted their patience for it with Bill Clinton.

After 35 years in the business world, it still amazes me how much corporate behavior has changed in accordance with the directions of society, but political behavior has not.

If Anthony Weiner was an officer of a corporation, he would have either voluntarily resigned the minute he discovered his mistake, or would have been forced to do so shortly thereafter. There's a good chance he might have even been summarily fired.

35 years ago someone with Weiner's aggressive personality and acid tongue would have done quite well in the corporate world. Today this sort of boorish behavior is the rare exception and not the rule. To be sure there are assholes galore in American corporations, but the culture has changed to the extent that mean-spirited attacks against one's rivals is a sure way to cut one's career short. In politics, it makes heroes of people like Anthony Weiner.

Simply another example of how so many politicians believe the rules are for others and not for them.

Any armchair psychologist can figure out what has driven Anthony Weiner and thousands of other very bright, but socially crippled individuals who are high achievers.

Imagine what he looked like as a kid and then imagine that little skinny kid with the big honker being named Weiner.

None of the hundreds of kids who tormented him even had to be creative. His name was right out there, begging to be used as weapon of mockery against a kid whose only likely defense was a sharp and nasty mouth.

He probably could have avoided this mess if he had used annonymous twitter and e-mail accounts for his sexual gratification, but I'm sure that he counted on his actual identity as a US congressman to draw women into exchanges with him.

He's a sad little man, but it's hard to feel sorry for such a nasty piece of work.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, I think you got that about Weiner spot on!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
His political career is over to the extent that he will never be able
to win any other elected position except the one he currently holds,
and I doubt he will be able to keep that.

I also doubt he will serve out the rest of his congressional term.

* * * If Anthony Weiner was an officer of a corporation, he would
have either voluntarily resigned the minute he discovered his mistake,
or would have been forced to do so shortly thereafter.
There's a good chance he might have even been summarily fired.
OK, let 's take a devil's advocate position:
he can argue (in favor of keeping his job) that Ted Kennedy
murdered Mary Jo Kopechne in July of 1969 and he kept HIS job.
The Weiner may have grossed out a lot of folks,
and provided too many puns,
but no one accuses him of killing anyone.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Finn, I think you got that about Weiner spot on!

counterpoint:
Quote:
If he manages to keep his seat in Congress, Anthony Weiner would join a handful of political figures who survived what initially looked like a career-ending debacle.

And even if the experiences of the likes of Bill Clinton, Barney Frank, David Vitter and others weren't enough, a new poll points to a forgiving constituency.

Both factors point to what observers call a truism in the fast-paced world of seamy gossip and online revelations -- the first few days after a politician comes clean are invariably the worst.

"By sitting tight, most of the politicians were able to stay in office," said Julian Zelizer, professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University. "In general, voters are interested in these sex scandals, but they are not willing to kick their senators or representatives out of office."

Weiner, a married seven-term Democrat, this week acknowledged sending sexually charged photos and messages to six women he did not know. The scandal started with the release by a conservative blogger of a man's bulging underpants, a picture the blogger said Weiner had sent to a 21-year-old follower on Twitter.

The congressman initially said it was a hack job, then a prank, then at a candid half-hour news conference tearfully acknowledged sending the photo. Further revelations of additional explicit photos and online exchanges with other women quickly escalated the matter, and several colleagues have called for him to resign.

On Friday, police in Delaware said they interviewed a 17-year-old girl about online contact she'd had with Weiner, but didn't obtain any information about illegal conduct. Weiner acknowledged in a statement that he had communicated with the girl online but said his communications were "neither explicit nor indecent."

Until recently, most political observers and media outlets considered it a foregone conclusion that his career was over.

But those reports may be premature, judging by the NY1-Marist Poll showing that 56 percent of registered voters polled in Weiner's district think he should stay on the job, as well the experience of other politicians who have survived sex scandals.

In a nutshell, experts say, the lessons are these: Ride the scandal out as best you can. Hope that voters back home are in a forgiving mood. Pray that time and the nation's short attention span will do the rest.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/06/11/history_shows_weiner_could_persevere_past_scandal/
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 04:55 am
They are looking for any reason to force him out of office it would seem.

Weiner says online contact with teen not indecent
By RANDALL CHASE, Associated Press – 1 hour ago

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — A teenage girl from Delaware has been interviewed by police about online contact she had with U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, communications he has said were "neither explicit nor indecent." Authorities said the teen didn't say anything about illegal conduct.

It's the latest turn in a scandal that has some members of Congress calling for the New York Democrat to step down, after he admitted sending graphic photos to women online.

The 46-year-old congressman acknowledged Friday that he had online contact with the 17-year-old girl but said there was nothing inappropriate. The New York Democrat issued his statement after FoxNews.com reported Friday that officers had interviewed the high school junior at her family's home north of Wilmington.

"They were made aware of an alleged contact between Congressman Anthony Weiner and an area teen," said Officer Tracey Duffy, a New Castle County police spokeswoman. "The teen has been interviewed and disclosed no information regarding any criminal activity."Duffy said she doesn't know what led to the girl being questioned or whether the family had called police.

"I don't know what information they received that would prompt them to respond to this residence," she said. Duffy said the investigation was continuing.

Weiner spokeswoman Risa Heller said in a one-sentence statement Friday night, "According to Congressman Weiner, his communications with this person were neither explicit nor indecent."

The congressman said he exchanged at least five private messages on Twitter this spring with the girl after she heard him speak in Washington and became an admirer, The New York Times reported.

Late Friday night, no one answered when an Associated Press reporter called and knocked at the door of the teen's house even though lights were on and people were inside. The modest two-story house, in a neighborhood near the Pennsylvania border, had red, white and blue bows on the porch and two small American flags planted in the ground.

Neighbor Ben Melvin said the media was paying way too much attention to the Weiner episode.

"I don't think it's good for her and I don't think it's good for the nation," Melvin said. "It's a sideshow. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a representative. On the other hand it obviously shows some lack of judgment or something."

A shirtless man approached reporters standing outside the family's house and began threatening them with an ax. New Castle County police took the man into custody.

FoxNews.com reported that two officers visited the girl's home around 4:30 p.m. and that they were joined by another officer. The website reported that police left after about 30 minutes, and that the girl and her mother then departed in a separate car. FoxNews.com reported that the girl, whom it declined to identify because she is a minor, said, "I'm doing OK."

The news website had a reporter outside the house when the police visit occurred.

Weiner, a seven-term Democrat, has acknowledged sending sexually explicit messages over the Internet to a half-dozen women over the past three years and then lying about it. Weiner is married to Huma Abedin, a top aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton; Abedin is pregnant with the couple's first child.

Amid increasing calls for Weiner to resign, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said earlier Friday that the decision should be up to him and his constituents. In a recent poll of registered voters in Weiner's district, 56 percent said he should stay in office while 33 percent said he should leave.

Pelosi has asked the House Ethics Committee to investigate whether Weiner used any government resources. He has said he does not believe he did.

At least nine House members and three senators said Weiner should resign. He has repeatedly said he would not.

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, said Thursday he wished Weiner would resign "to get that story off the front page." He said the controversy distracts from pressing economic issues. Two former Democratic Party chairmen also said he should resign.

Weiner did pick up support from U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel, a New York Democrat who was censured by the House last year for ethics violations. Rangel suggested that other members of Congress had done things more immoral than Weiner.

Rangel said Weiner "wasn't going with prostitutes. He wasn't going out with little boys."

Associated Press writer Sarah Brumfield in Baltimore contributed to this report.