Atheism speak your mind about religion

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
If I were to claim a denomination, it would be Baptist. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

Is is true that you're opposed to sex because it might lead to dancing?
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:24 pm
@Setanta,
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

MyViewpoint wrote:

Discussing religion and logic together is almost impossible. Even the God of the Bible is not logical. His ways are above our ways. That's why we are encouraged to accept Him by faith, not logic alone. As humans we can use the great gifts of intelligence and logic for all the wonderful things God intends for us to enjoy.

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a Rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”
Hebrews 11:6.

What do you mean "Even the God of the Bible is not logical." Says who? The principles God set forth for us are extremely logical. Do right, love one another, etc. Even a non-believer will agree with those principles. If God knows what is best for us (personally, I believe He does) then wouldn't it be us who are illogical if we don't follow what He says we should?

I will agree that when witnessing to someone trying to have a logical debate usually doesn't end well. We cannot convince anyone to believe and understand God. I think one of the biggest problems in Christianity is "we" Christians try to convince others when we were never told to do that. We are to preach the gospel and God does the work. I tried for years to convince others. I finally was made to realize just how arrogant of me that was assuming I could convince someone to believe.

If God is perfect then logically, He can't be illogical. Laughing

This might have been addressed further in the thread. I am just starting to read it and replying as I go along.

Perhaps ethical, but I do not know about logical. What premises are used to conclude that one should do right and love one another? Granted, one may agree with such assertions as "one should do right" or "one should love other people", but these are merely assertions without a shred of support.

From experience, when I witness individuals debating over Christianity, it generally involves little to no logic, and a hell of a lot of fallacies.

God cannot be illogical because we cannot think of such an entity.

What do you mean by perfect? The greatest being?
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:53 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I think you ignore that early human groups in which an altruistic sentiment, at least, was fostered, had a breeding opportunity advantage over any group in which individual greed was paramount. There is good reason to believe that affection and "doing good" to others had a significant evolutionary value.
Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 01:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I think you ignore that early human groups in which an altruistic sentiment, at least, was fostered, had a breeding opportunity advantage over any group in which individual greed was paramount. There is good reason to believe that affection and "doing good" to others had a significant evolutionary value.

So if we have been altruistic for x number of years, then we should continue to be altruistic? Seems like a fallacy from tradition.

I'm not ignoring anything; I am simply demanding the premises. The burden of proof is upon other forum members, and not me. Since I cannot read the minds of other forum members, I cannot ignore anything precisely because there were no premises given. I cannot make the assumption that a forum member will use evolution to back up his/her claims for altruism. I am simply demanding a set of premises that gives the aforementioned assertions some luster.
chai2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 01:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:
If I were to claim a denomination, it would be Baptist. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

Is is true that you're opposed to sex because it might lead to dancing?

Sometimes when I really want to get a Baptist riled up, I tell them I'm a Metodist.

(that's a parahrase of a line in "Tuna, Texas")
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 01:45 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I gave you a premise, and you come back with a feeble claim that it is "from tradition." It's not from tradition; in fact, it's the sense of contemporary geneticists working in the field human evolution.

The evolution of reciprocal altruism--please note that this is a pdf document.

From the American Psycological Association, an abstract of a paper entitled: Friendship and the banker's paradox: Other pathways to the evolution of adaptations for altruism. Evolution of social behaviour patterns in primates and man."

The idea is not new. That you want to dismiss it as fallacy is not surprising, as i've never seen you accept correction for your claims. I provide you a premise, and you ask for a premise. Weak . . . very weak.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:33 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for sharing.
I did not read it all but in the first 3 pages I was able to see enough evidence that the author new more than I and he/she also gave enough information to back up the claim being made!
{In my opinion it is very good work}
You seem to be well read and I hope to see more of this kind of research work from you in the future.
This is the kind of stuff that interest me! Very Happy

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:12 pm

Everyone's misinterpreting the Bible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v59b0iTRIs4&feature=relmfu
Chights47

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 07:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
...Is that a guy or a girl?
north

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:09 pm

religion will be Humanties down fall

religion will destroy Humanity , inotherwords
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 01:25 am
@Chights47,
That was one of my first thought as well! she is a he but I do find him to be well informed on many issues! It just shows you how different we all are doesn't it?
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:00 am
@Setanta,
I was not aware that you were providing proof for altruism. In any case, since you have given me something to work with, I will look over the paper and reply. Thanks for fleshing out the premises in your original post.
Chights47

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:05 am
@north,
I disagree, but I don't think you are far off. Religion isn't the problem, religion is like a tool or a weapon and it the people that "wield" it that are the problem. Religion has been know to do immensely great things both good and bad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 08:47 am
@Ding an Sich,
You're attempting to prop up a straw man. I have not said that i've provided proof of anything. My proposition is that there is an evolutionary benefit which arises from altruism. I said that contemporary researcbers consider such an idea plausible, and i provided a couple of links to demonstrate that i hadn't simply made up the argument.
Chights47

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:03 pm
Yahoo Answers wrote:
Question: "Is TRUE gender equality impossible in Christianity?
"I had explained that a woman's asking for equality in the church would be comparable to a black person's demanding equality in the Ku Klux Klan." Professor Mary Daly, feminist theologian.

Answer: It's fairly impossible in society let alone christianity, think about it it would take thousands of years to change societies views as our views are based on parents and their parents etc etc...
I think a black person is more likely to get equality from the KKK because the KKK are refusing equality because of hate rather than christians refusing it because of what they believe not to be horrid....although then everything becomes blurred when you think about if hate crime comes from how you're brought up...

Comment on question: "Christianity is a relic of the gender war waged by men against women for thousands of years. Time for women to fight back and reject this Christian "God" who is made in MAN's likeness."

This is a question that was posted on Yahoo Answers. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:19 pm
@Chights47,
Today's "Christianity" has plenty of women in position in the church. People have been changing that for a long time.

Why do people think God should change with the times? God is not here to serve us. We are here to serve him. Those are my beliefs. They might not be yours but seriously, why does the creation think the creator should change to accommodate the creation?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
I think that the church has evolved and religion has to keep up with the advancement of ethics or they will look bad! Do not get me wrong because I think we are far form being ethical but the church is right there with the majority of man and as man advances so will the church!

This is how I somewhat see the bible and to think that I have not studied it for thousands of hours would be a mistake!
Are you able to listen to other view points without shutting down or stop listening when you hear something that goes very against your way of thinking? I hope that you are able to endure the inconvenient truth!
Please forgive this lady for her poor mouth I think that she is just very frustrated with religious beliefs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51A77HY2EGs&feature=channel_video_title
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:44 pm
@Chights47,
Thank you for sharing the person does make a valid point in my opinion!

It is a shame that most people are not aware of the damages that their culture can have on them but they can use logic when viewing other cultures!
Why do you think that this is?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 05:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I think that the church has evolved and religion has to keep up with the advancement of ethics or they will look bad! Do not get me wrong because I think we are far form being ethical but the church is right there with the majority of man and as man advances so will the church!

This is how I somewhat see the bible and to think that I have not studied it for thousands of hours would be a mistake!
Are you able to listen to other view points without shutting down or stop listening when you hear something that goes very against your way of thinking? I hope that you are able to endure the inconvenient truth!
Please forgive this lady for her poor mouth I think that she is just very frustrated with religious beliefs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51A77HY2EGs&feature=channel_video_title
First of all, why are you making an excuse for a woman talking like a drunken sailor? I am sorry but I am not going to listen to anyone talk like that. You call that inconvenient truth? I am sorry but I am not going to listen to that.