Atheism speak your mind about religion

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:51 am
@Chights47,
Quote:
6:17-7:03 is just ridiculous garbage, him even being able to come up with that dumbass thought proves it. The basic undeniable thought of "I think, therefore I am" already contradicts that rubbish. The "separation" that he refers to at 6:44 is called existance and the "oneness" is nothing/death.

I really can not comment on what the video is trying to relate at 6:17-7:03 because I do not get it! I am not saying that it is correct nor incorrect at that point in the video I just may not understand what they are saying.

Quote:
him even being able to come up with that dumbass thought proves it

I think that the video speaks allot of truth but as with all of us we can not know every thing and we will make mistakes.

Quote:
the views behind this video are about ridding the world religion and "educating" people to what they believe.

When I think of religion and beliefs for the most part I think of our culture and the traditions that we hold as valuable!
Do you Know that our beliefs for the most part are imposed on us by our culture or do you know that they are derived from God?

Chights47

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 09:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I really can not comment on what the video is trying to relate at 6:17-7:03 because I do not get it! I am not saying that it is correct nor incorrect at that point in the video I just may not understand what they are saying.
According to him (specifically 6:32-6:42) you are actually me, and Arella is me, and Cyracuz and everyone else that has ever existed, or ever will exist has and will be me...water is also me so I could call myself Neptune God of the Sea if I want.

reasoning logic wrote:
I think that the video speaks a lot of truth but as with all of us we can not know every thing and we will make mistakes.
Most of my comment was about just that one section, but I do believe that it's very idealistic and, for the most part, unreal. The more you understand, the more you believe in that understanding, it's a 2 way street, one can't increase without the other. Religion and science are just 2 halves of the same coin. Science is like the brain and religion is like the heart and both have their ups and downs.

reasoning logic wrote:
When I think of religion and beliefs for the most part I think of our culture and the traditions that we hold as valuable!
Do you Know that our beliefs for the most part are imposed on us by our culture or do you know that they are derived from God?
Regardless of whether our beliefs are derived from a deity or not, they are imposed by culture.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:43 am
@Chights47,
Quote:
According to him (specifically 6:32-6:42) you are actually me, and Arella is me, and Cyracuz and everyone else that has ever existed, or ever will exist has and will be me...water is also me so I could call myself Neptune God of the Sea if I want.

I can somewhat relate to what he is saying. I understand it to mean that our atoms are continuously being recycled so to speak. Organic chemistry and astrophysics along with a few other subjects can seem way out there at times!

Quote:
The more you understand, the more you believe in that understanding

I walked away from the video with the idea that you should not believe in anything to be 100% correct not even the video.
I can not really understand how anyone else could walk away with something different.
Chights47

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:04 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I walked away from the video with the idea that you should not believe in anything to be 100% correct not even the video.
I can not really understand how anyone else could walk away with something different.
That's about all there is to it. The rest just seems like an almost pathetic way to rid the world of all "taboo". The world needs that "taboo" though because that gives barriers in which I feel have to be there. It's true that if there weren't any religion of "taboo" that there would be many more scientific advancements...but at what cost? Movies like The Island and The Sixth Day wouldn't just be science fiction, but reality. It just becomes about learning everything we can despite the cost and the ends don't always justify the means.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:44 am
@Chights47,
Quote:
The world needs that "taboo" though because that gives barriers in which I feel have to be there.

Do you think that it is possible for people to not believe in taboos and still have an interest in ethics?

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww&feature=related

Sam Harris: The Moral Failings of Religion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDT03RjHxbg&feature=fvwrel
Chights47

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
First of all, Taboo: A ban or an inhibition resulting from social custom or emotional aversion...no religion required.

I don't like the first video, who would be deemed "worthy" of actually having "moral expertise". Morality isn't a science nor a religion, it's merely a belief in which everyone has. Morality is intertwined with reality and everyones opinion is require in order to grasp an accurate knowledge of what's "moral" otherwise you're just "falsifying the scales" in order for them to say what you want. If it's just up to science to decide whats "moral" then it wouldn't be anything more than rationalization and the person that's tongue is most gilded wins regardless of what's really moral.

Do you believe that it would be moral to make living breathing clones of people so that if something were to happen to someones organs or something they could just take it from the clone? For example, if your heart were to fail or be damaged, they would just harvest the heart of your clone and give that to you so that you can live longer. It would be a perfect match to yours, and we would also be able to transfer all types of organs as well without any problems like the problems that we have kidneys.

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm in the initial stages of planning my honeymoon.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:12 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
Do you believe that it would be moral to make living breathing clones of people so that if something were to happen to someones organs or something they could just take it from the clone? For example, if your heart were to fail or be damaged, they would just harvest the heart of your clone and give that to you so that you can live longer. It would be a perfect match to yours, and we would also be able to transfer all types of organs as well without any problems like the problems that we have kidneys.

I would say no!

I could be wrong but didn't he answer such questions in his speech?
Chights47

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
He didn't, not specifically and that's the point. Everything is always about how you spin it a who ever has the most gilded tongue. What he's talking about is shutting out everyone that doesn't agree with his views or can't be swayed to them and blaming it on them not have "moral expertise". There aren't really a lot of "facts" to morality, it's just about what you "feel" is right or wrong. Science specifically would only be to rationalize morality so there wouldn't really be anything that's out of grasp for science, with enough support, anything can be rationalized and justified. I think you should see the movies The Island and Equilibrium...if you haven't already.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 03:29 pm
@Chights47,
We seem to be speaking morality, I started another thread that I was hoping to discus morality in!

http://able2know.org/topic/173884-1
Chights47

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
It's not really just about morality that I was talking about, that was a just part of it. That thread is just about basic morality in which you've also added a religious twist to it while this thread is currently on the topic morality in science.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:16 pm
@Chights47,
We can talk about morality on either thread I just wanted to bring your attention to the other thread!

I wanted to bring Christians into my study of morality that is why I started another thread including Jesus and that I also find value in what I have read in the bible, not that I take the bible to be absolute truth!
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
How can you find value in something you don't find to be the absolute truth?
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:36 pm
@Arella Mae,
Many people read fiction, and learn lessons from it. Ideas are not required to deal in the truth, and possibilities can teach us things even if we cannot realize them.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:43 pm
@Arella Mae,
I find allot of value in you! "In what you share with us because I think that you are being honest with us!
Do you think that every thing that you have shared with other people throughout your life has been absolutely true or could you have made some honest mistakes that you regret now that you are wiser?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 06:45 pm
@Setanta,
Like most often you do add value to what is being discussed!
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
How can you find value in something you don't find to be the absolute truth?
How do you?
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Many people read fiction, and learn lessons from it. Ideas are not required to deal in the truth, and possibilities can teach us things even if we cannot realize them.
Very true, I suprisingly got a lot of my views on religion in general from the book The Highway Man by R.A. Salvatore
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I certainly cannot argue that fact.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 10:43 pm
@Setanta,
I find "truth" in fiction. Great literature teaches me as much about the human condition as has a considerable number of psychological, anthropological and sociological books.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 07:26 am

Jacque Fresco on the concept of God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr30Syj1FhM&feature=related
0 Replies