Atheism speak your mind about religion

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
@MyViewpoint,
Ah . . . childhood indoctrination. That covers a multitude of sins.
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
I actually lied because I wanted to see how you would respond...Dialect and linguistics (at least in my opinion), have very little to do with discussions such as this. Dialect and linguistics are more about the presentation of an idea while in these discussions isn't mainly about the context.
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:50 pm
@MyViewpoint,
MyViewpoint wrote:

Knowing God is a first-hand experience, you can't be a believer just by human relationships. It's got to be between you and God, no matter how young or how old you might be.
So it's like Voodoo in that you have to believe it in order for it actually work?
MyViewpoint

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:51 pm
@Setanta,
Yes! Praise God for childhood indoctrination. It helped keep me from a lifetime of many possible regrets and frustrations. I've had my share of those anyway, but not as bad as they could have been.
MyViewpoint

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
@Chights47,
Sorry. I've never practiced or studied VooDoo, so I don't know if it works, or even how it works. And I'm not interested in finding out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:55 pm
@MyViewpoint,
Not as bad as they could have been? How do you know? You're a walking definition of a closed mind.
MyViewpoint

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
@Setanta,
Closed mind? Closed to harmful practices? I hope so.

At least my eyes are open. All I have to do is look around me and see people all around me who are walking advertisements of what harmful practices can do to a body and a mind -- To see individual lives that have been destroyed, and families in the throes of being destroyed.

However, it's never too late. The grace of God is always available to anyone who seeks it.
Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:23 pm
@MyViewpoint,
I can see how all the other practices can be harmful...but they are only harmful to your delusion. There are actually very few religions that "harmful" and the only things that's harmful about them is occasional zealot's who take things way out of proportion...even in your own religion. If you don't believe me, then just look up Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:27 pm
@MyViewpoint,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I similarly had the same experience!
I would be more interested in talking about other religions using logic if possible!
Are you up to it?
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
@Chights47,
I will be honest I do not know the meaning of all words and I was assuming that you were using the word dialect in the context that I was thinking! I have not studied much linguistics but I do admire Noam Chomsky's knowledge on it and his knowledge of history!
0 Replies

MyViewpoint

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
@Chights47,
I was actually referring to harmful effects not related to following a religion, but not following one .... such as drunkenness, drug use, sexual diseases, etc.

Unfortunately, even some followers of religions are subject to lots of troubles ... many of their own making, including the Phelps family.

MyViewpoint

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm not really into much logical discussion of other religions. I'm not a Bible scholar and not a religious scholar of any kind. I'd just end up showing my ignorance of other beliefs.

Since it's 9:30 here, and I get up at 5 in the morning, I'm going to sign off anyway.

Thanks for letting me spout my viewpoint.

"I read Shakespeare and the Bible, and I can shoot dice. That's what I call a liberal education."
~~Tallulah Bankhead

Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
@MyViewpoint,
So are you then saying that people who don't follow a religion will fall into "harmful effects" such as drunkenness, drug use, sexual diseases, etc? Would you be saying that the only way we can protect ourselves from those "harmful effects" is through religion, although it's not always a guarantee, but that it's our only chance?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:48 pm
@Chights47,
I see you reconsidered your last reply and removed it! I was trying to reply but it was gone!
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:56 pm
@MyViewpoint,
I was hoping to turn the conversation into "what the environment has to do with the way we think" using logic.
It had nothing to do with requiring any scholarly skills to prove a point!

Do you find it wrong to even talk about such things, consider them and share your viewpoint about them? I am not here to make fun of anyone's answers if they may be wrong!
Stick around and watch me make a fool of myself and see that I get things wrong quite often. That is how I learn!
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are like a hawk...I had it up for like less than a minute. The main problem that I have, is that I read one little thing and end up taking it completely out of context. I call it my "what if" factor. I think of all the different possibilities of meaning and different directions that the conversation can go. If I'm tired or busy and don't pay attention I can tangent along rather skewed lines and provide non-existent corrects based on where I think the conversations going and not where it's currently at.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 03:07 am
@MyViewpoint,
Without a shred of evidence, you assume that everyone's troubles arise from not believing as you do about your imaginary friend "god." You are brainwashed and your mind is closed. That, of course, is no problem for me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 08:14 am
@MyViewpoint,
MyViewpoint wrote:

Discussing religion and logic together is almost impossible. Even the God of the Bible is not logical. His ways are above our ways. That's why we are encouraged to accept Him by faith, not logic alone. As humans we can use the great gifts of intelligence and logic for all the wonderful things God intends for us to enjoy.

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a Rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”
Hebrews 11:6.

What do you mean "Even the God of the Bible is not logical." Says who? The principles God set forth for us are extremely logical. Do right, love one another, etc. Even a non-believer will agree with those principles. If God knows what is best for us (personally, I believe He does) then wouldn't it be us who are illogical if we don't follow what He says we should?

I will agree that when witnessing to someone trying to have a logical debate usually doesn't end well. We cannot convince anyone to believe and understand God. I think one of the biggest problems in Christianity is "we" Christians try to convince others when we were never told to do that. We are to preach the gospel and God does the work. I tried for years to convince others. I finally was made to realize just how arrogant of me that was assuming I could convince someone to believe.

If God is perfect then logically, He can't be illogical. Laughing

This might have been addressed further in the thread. I am just starting to read it and replying as I go along.
Chights47

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 10:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I think one of the biggest problems in Christianity is "we" Christians try to convince others when we were never told to do that. We are to preach the gospel and God does the work. I tried for years to convince others. I finally was made to realize just how arrogant of me that was assuming I could convince someone to believe.

I like people like you. It doesn't really matter what people believe. I may not agree with it and I may state reasons as to why, but shoving your beliefs down peoples throats only leads them to a closed mind and actually pushes them further from that belief. In order to 'believe' in something, it has to sort of "click" within you, otherwise it's little more than a tradition that you follow.

Do you mind if I ask you what branch of Christianity you are, or are you non-denomination? The reason I ask is because there are certain things that I disagree with, or do not fully understand (mainly with the Catholic branch) that I would like to discuss.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 12:17 pm
@Chights47,
Oh, I used to do quite a bit of shoving my beliefs down the throats of others. I thank God I have learned how futile and actually harmful to others that can be. If I were to claim a denomination, it would be Baptist. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.