Obunga: Palestine must be based on 67 borders........

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:42 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I would have put it down to tall poppy syndrome and how easy it is to do nothing but criticise those who do .

Perhaps, but it appears to be a deeply ingrained mode of behavior now. Very contemptable.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Very contemptable.
Agreed . Holding hands and singing Goombaya is not how the world works . I think most of those who think they have a solution base it on wishful thinking and the desire to be listened to .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:59 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The kick in the head involving Israel is that the only legitimate prior claims on the lands in question belong to the Jews and not the "palestinians".

Golda Maier was basically correct in her view that there is no such thing as palestine or as a "palestinian". Mark Twain found mostly just empty space on his visit to the Holy Lands in the late 1800s, other than for a few nomad tribes, and Jerusalem was basically a ghost town. "palestinians Are basically just other arabs who moved in for jobs after the Zionists made something out of the place.

Such blatant honesty in your post above may be too strong for some people's temperament. Like the fable The King's New Suit Of Clothes. The king was naked, and so is the rationale for a Palestinean state. In my opinion, much of the rationale for a Palestinean state goes under the main heading of, "Oops, who gave the Jews autonomy? That's not how the world is supposed to work."
gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:23 pm
@Foofie,
It's worse than most are aware of. The original idea was to split the existing jurisdiction up 80/20 in favor of the arabs and the 80% is called Jordan; the 20% called Israel was the part which was just snakes and scorpions and which the Zionists had to put together from nothing.

And then there's the thing about Khazars, ever heard that one?

That's the thing slammites and libtards put out about Jews all being descended from Turkic tribes which converted to Judaism in the early middle ages and you'd never believe how pervasive that one is, try simply getting onto youtube.com and typing in 'khazars'. There's even a book considered halfway famous written by Arthur Koestler ("13'th Tribe" or some such) based on that same idea.

Now, it turns out in fact that the dress, personal names, and the entire culture of not only Khazars but of every other Jew living in and around Russia in the early middle ages were those of ancient Israel and not those of any sort of Hellenistic Jews from the same period from whom they could plausibly have learned Judaism starting from zip. What that means is that ALL eastern Jews but particularly those from Russia, are descended from the ten tribes which the Assyrians carried off in OT times.

This one is important because it affects the basic claim of modern Jewry to the territory of Israel. The actual fact of the matter is that the claim is valid.

There is a much better description of Khazars than Koestler's with a famous name attached to it:

http://www.varchive.org/ce/baalbek/khazars.htm
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 06:59 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Where do you plan to put the Israelis ?

In Israel, not Palestine.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:47 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

[It is of course your right to arbitrarily select some components in the very complex struggle over Israel & Palestins as more important or significant (to you) than the others. However that also implies that you acknowledge the obvious bias and lack of impartiality that involves. The fact is the Syrians used artillery on the Golan heights to shell Israeli settlements South of Tiberias and on the West Bank of the Jordan just below Galilee - that's why Israel took the heights in 1967. That, plus the history of Syrian opposition to Israel and indeed the continuing state of unresolved aggression that exists between Syria and Israel, are valid Israeli concerns, and, practically speaking, inseperable from the Palestinian issues on the West Bank and in Gaza. Both sides are using precisely this kind of selective treatment to rationalize the continuation of the present rather unsatisfactory situation. I find it odd that you should do the same. This was the same "logic" the radical IRA and Unionist elements in Northern Ireland used to rationalize continued murder and oppression. It led nowhere.

I understand Israel's concerns regarding Syria, although it serves both Israel and Syria's interests to have a wolf at the door. Syria has used Israel as justification for it's decades long state of emergency, and it suits Israel to have a brutal dictatorship next door, so they can claim to be the only 'reasonable,' power in the region. It also gives them an excuse not to negotiate with the Palestinians if Syria constantly needs to be brought in. I do not see why the West Bank and Gaza cannot be looked at without involving Syria.

One thing I did find rather disconcerting was the way Netanyahu was given a standing ovation by your Congress. You can correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm sure you will), but it looked to me if Republican members of Congress were using international affairs to settle domestic issues. As Obama is more concerned with wanting a resolution of the problems in the Middle East, the Republicans are set against it. That's also coupled with some weird fundamentalist Christianity that seems to feature in your politics. This also seems to ignore the fact that what Obama said about borders is not that different from what Bush said.

I'd be quite interested to find out what Cameron, Sarkosy and Obama have been saying together regarding Israel. Obama seems to be quite happy to let Europe take the driving seat in Libya, I wonder if he's asked the EU to apply a bit more pressure on Israel. Your Congress seems to be more concerned with scoring points against Obama, than trying to deal with issues in a meaningful way. I welcome your comments.
Ionus

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:06 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Quote:
Where do you plan to put the Israelis ?
In Israel, not Palestine.
Your knowledge of geography is as bad as your knowledge of history . The Roman Palestine (they gave us the name) stretched into Lebanon and Syria and included Israel and large parts of Jordan . So Israel is in the Roman Palestine . Any other goofy comments ?
Foofie

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:46 am
@gungasnake,
The concern about whether modern Jews mixed with some Turkish tribe called the Khazars is academic, since the Nazis would still have killed all Jews, Jewish or Khazarish. So, the desire by many Jews for Israel to exist, as a Jewish state, is just based on the history of an intractable need for some people to not let Jews live in peace. It is so simple, it can be summed up in, "duh!"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I write about the sort of thing that happens on a day to day basis, and you cherry pick the figures for Palestinian rockets fired during the Gazan conflict.

As if the Palestinians don't fire rockets at civilians all the time?

izzythenazi wrote:
I don't see you talking about war crimes for the 1400 Palestinians killed during the same period including over 300 children.

Stop lying Adolf. That's not a war crime.

And enough with the "dead children" gambit. A "16-year-old Palestinian killed in self defense while trying to murder innocent people" is not in any way equivalent to "a 3-year-old Israeli intentionally murdered by a Palestinian".

izzythenazi wrote:
Or the deliberate shelling of a UN hospital despite being told of its whereabouts three times.

Stop lying Adolf. Hardly deliberate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
Unfortunately so much Western Media is biased in favour of Israel even the BBC which normally is very imparial The Israeli embassies are very accomplished at persuading various media organisations of their point of view.

Actually all the Israelis do is point out the truth. The reporters have a bias for telling the truth.

izzythenazi wrote:
The charge of anti-semitism is a powerful one, and the BBC is frightened of being perceived in that way.

Well, yes. You anti-Semites are very disreputable fellows. Why would anyone want to be associated with your hate?

izzythenazi wrote:
Palestine is almost always viewed as the provocateur and Israel as responding to a threat.

Palestine is always the provocateur, and Israel is always the one responding to a threat.

izzythenazi wrote:
An Israeli Apache helicopter fires missiles at a Hamas official in Gaza. The official is killed but so are schoolchildren who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Israel calls this 'regrettable,' but offers no apology to the parents of the children, making the same claims that they always try to minimise civilian casualties.

Collateral damage is unfortunate, but the Palestinians wouldn't be facing this if they were not continuously trying to murder Israelis.

izzythenazi wrote:
Palestinian militants fire a glorified firework into Israel in retalliation, which 99% of the time explodes harmlessly away from anyone, and are immediately condemned as terrorists deliberately targetting civilians.

Glorified firework.... What a despicable way to minimize firing artillery at civilians.

izzythenazi wrote:
I think both of these actions are wrong, but it's only the Palestinian action that's viewed as terrorism.

Palestinians are the only ones trying to murder civilians.

izzythenazi wrote:
The only mainstream newschannel that reports what's going on in Palestine without fear of the Israelis is Al-Jazeera, and I prefer to watch their reporting on Israel than any other channel.

That's the network that approved of the Egyptian gang rape of Lara Logan. Sounds like they are a good fit for you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

One thing I did find rather disconcerting was the way Netanyahu was given a standing ovation by your Congress. You can correct me if I'm wrong, (and I'm sure you will), but it looked to me if Republican members of Congress were using international affairs to settle domestic issues. As Obama is more concerned with wanting a resolution of the problems in the Middle East, the Republicans are set against it. That's also coupled with some weird fundamentalist Christianity that seems to feature in your politics. This also seems to ignore the fact that what Obama said about borders is not that different from what Bush said.
It is certainly true that both Republican and Democrat politicians here frequently use international issues to settle domestic political issues, particularly those involving prospects for future success in elections. It seems quite natural for us, and having no shared sovereignty with any extragovernmental entities like the European Union we generally believe this is entirely appropriate. We have a long history of doing this - it was opposition in the Congress (an accurate reflection of public attitudes) that kept os out of WWII until we were attacked in 1941. That's why Present Roosevelt went underground to entangle us with Britain and later resist Japan in an effort to get us into the war (my father, the child of immigrants from Galway was in the Congress then -a Senator- and voted against Lend Lease.) . I believe it reflects the action of a real democracy and not anything either untoward or unusual.

I'm not at all certain that your assertion,
Quote:
As Obama is more concerned with wanting a resolution of the problems in the Middle East, the Republicans are set against it.
is really true. In many areas Obama appears to talk a much better game than he actually plays. Moreover he is already attempting to hedge his bets on the matter. Significantly, and as you noted, the first U.S. President to voice our support for a two state solution based on a permutation of the 1967 borders was George Bush - Obama really hasn't said anything new: he merely appeals more to the lightweight chattering classes of the world.

The fact is that there is significant support for Israel among Americans, and well organized political support among American Jews - a group who are different from their European counterparts only in not having been exterminated by their countrymen as were those in Europe - and in having wittnessed what occurred in Europe.

It is true there is an active fundamentalist Christian strain in American - one with an active voice in our politics. No surprise - we were partly founded by such people who came here to escape the religious intolerance of your country. They don't dominate our life, but I'm sure they appear novel and curious from your, rather unreal, perspective.

izzythepush wrote:

I'd be quite interested to find out what Cameron, Sarkosy and Obama have been saying together regarding Israel. Obama seems to be quite happy to let Europe take the driving seat in Libya, I wonder if he's asked the EU to apply a bit more pressure on Israel. Your Congress seems to be more concerned with scoring points against Obama, than trying to deal with issues in a meaningful way. I welcome your comments.
I don't detect any interest in either France or the UK to get seriously involved in the resolution of the Palestinian issue - other than occasional public statements and votes in the Security Council. I think most Americans are quite content to let the nations of Europe start fending for themselves and dealing with the legacy issues which they have largely created - Lybia in particular. Memories persist in our defense establishment of the decades of unkept European promises for defense spending and support for NATO throughout the Cold War, and of their willingness to adopt a critic's role rather than join in the resolution of previous challenges to the Western World. The American public is increasingly aware of this and I believe there is widespread support for Obama's hands off policy with respect to Lybia. It seems premature to me for a citizen of the country that allowed itself to be bribed to release the convicted assassin of many Americans on the PANAM flight that crashed at Lockerbie to now criticize us for not joining you in solving a problem in your own neighborhood - particularly one coming from the same tyrant who bought you off earlier.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:02 am
@Ionus,
Yes, how about Israel recognises international law.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:27 am
@georgeob1,
There are lots of things that could be done over here short of sanctions. In the EU, Israel has what is known as 'Favoured Nation' trading status. This is something normally reserved for countries about to join the EU. We could easily stop that. They've also been sneaking stuff into the Union that's been grown on illegal settlements in the West Bank. At one point there was a huge outcry that some of these were being sold in Supermarkets labelled Palestinian. They're not allowed to do that anymore. There could be far stricter checks required to stop such goods coming in.

We could also be a bit tighter on immigration, which should appease the Little Englanders. Some Israelis were arrested by immigration officials recently for illegally working in a local shopping mall. They were selling beauty products from the Dead Sea so it's not like it hadn't been planned. Or there could be the vote in the UN General Assembly. This is mostly symbolic, but it all adds pressure. Lets see what happens in the next few months.

Also regarding Lockerbie, he was released under Scottish law by the Scots. I live in England. If you want to learn a bit about the difference between the two legal jurisdictions you could try googling 'Ryan Giggs.'
gungasnake

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:01 pm
Canadians tell Obunga to **** himself, force removal of any mention of 67 borders from group-8 statement:

http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2011/05/wow-canada-defends-israel-blocks-obamas-1967-line-from-g8/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It seems premature to me for a citizen of the country that allowed itself to be bribed to release the convicted assassin of many Americans on the PANAM flight that crashed at Lockerbie to now criticize us for not joining you in solving a problem in your own neighborhood - particularly one coming from the same tyrant who bought you off earlier.

Gob1, a guy who took an active role in Vietnam, one of the worst war crimes of the last century, thinks it his place to offer others "lessons in morality".

If you want to speak to these issues and hew to the American line, you've got to be two things; a bullshitter and a hypocrite. And who frequently pops up but Gob.

Quote:
America’s Terrorist Training Camp
October 30, 2001

What’s the difference between Al Qaeda and Fort Benning?

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 30th October 2001

“If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents,” George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, “they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their own peril.” I’m glad he said “any government”, as there’s one which, though it has yet to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism, requires his urgent attention.

For the past 55 years it has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at Al-Qaeda’s door. The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHISC. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush’s government.

http://www.monbiot.com/2001/10/30/americas-terrorist-training-camp/

Quote:

The Death of a Terrorist… No, Not That One.

And speaking of bin Laden, even after the horrific events of September 11, 2001, when President George W. Bush declared to the world that any nation that provides safe haven for terrorists is as guilty as the terrorists themselves, Orlando Bosch and his ilk were living it up, sipping sangria under the subtropical South Florida sun, utterly unconcerned about ever facing justice in the United States.

Multiple foreign countries have requested their extradition to stand trial for their crimes. Not only has the United States refused these requests, it has also failed to recognize the men as terrorists. Not only does America harbor these criminals, a sizable percentage of one our nation’s largest metropolitan areas approves of their bloody deeds. When Orlando Bosch was arrested after returning to the United States, most Cuban-American businesses in Miami shut down in protest. When he was freed, there were parties.

http://morallowground.com/2011/05/03/the-death-of-a-terrorist-no-not-that-one/
georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Also regarding Lockerbie, he was released under Scottish law by the Scots. I live in England. If you want to learn a bit about the difference between the two legal jurisdictions you could try googling 'Ryan Giggs.'

Well I live in California and wish that you would address to me only the subset of your many criticisms of the United States that apply specifically to my state. (on second thought that might be an unfavorable deal. Wink ).

Anyway your national government is that of the "United Kingdom", an entity which at least nominally includes Scotland. I also believe that important figures in your national government (prominently including Jack Straw) were involved in brokering the deal with Ghadaffi's son.

Perhaps you could replace your Israeli immigrants with more Pakistanis.

Somehow I don't think that reducing the sales of imported Israeli beauty and processed food products by England or even Scotland, will constitute a serious impediment to the Israelis.
Ionus

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You mean like the Palestinians not recognising Israels right to exist or do you mean terrorist hijackings of aircraft and other PLO "compliances" with international law ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:37 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
one of the worst war crimes of the last century

Worst than the holocaust ? (millions)
The Nazi ethnic cleansing of the Ukraine ? (millions)
Mao's great leap forward ? ( millions)
Pol Pots Year Zero ? (over a million)
The North Vietnamese murder of southerners ? (more than a million people)
Japanese war crimes especially in China ? (millions)

Should I go on or do you realise how stupid you sound ?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:

How about you stop falsely accusing Israel of not recognizing international law.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:16 pm
@oralloy,
You're aware that "izzythepoop" refers to the palisavages as "gentle people(TM)" I assume...

Gentle People...

http://www.genreonline.net/Genre_files/Barbarians%20026.jpg
0 Replies