Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
I don't know about that. I bet Christine is calling him up at all hours.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:09 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think there'll be a lot of heckling, now he's mentioned in similar terms as Le Pen, the lecture circuit is all he has left.

If true if is sad the world had lost the aid of a top expert on the world financial system when the system is in so must trouble due to him running into a third world con woman in a NY hotel room.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
If true if is sad the world had lost the aid of a top expert on the world financial system

A 'top expert' who was in office when everything went tits up. I think we're better off without.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:15 pm
@izzythepush,
It is a matter of opinion that everything went tits up.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
the lecture circuit is all he has left

I think that's probably true.

It's not just the incident in NYC with the hotel maid, it's all the other information about him that was made public as a result of that incident, and what it revealed about the man's character. And he's still embroiled in the prostitution ring business. He was protected by French media in the past, but, at this point, his questionable reputation is known world-wide, and that will affect him no matter where he goes.

He can still use the lecture circuit, or writing, as vehicles to put forth his thinking on economic matters, but his political future is kaput.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 02:48 pm
@firefly,
It was primary the maid as the other woman and her mother and the former lover of DSK would not had seen an opportunity to make hay but for that and the prostitution ring business in France of all placed is so must of a joke it give credit to the idea that the whole business from the beginning was just set up by his powerful enemies and little else.

Quote:
it's all the other information about him that was made public as a result of that incident

Our foundering fathers would had been in a world of hurt if this kind of attacks was more common in their days.

Hamilton and his affair with a married woman and being blackmail by her husband when he was the first head of the US treasury, Franklin who was not legally married to his wife as no one knew if her first husband was dead or alive and bringing home an infant that belong to an unknown woman for his "wife" to raised and his behaviors in France , Jefferson having his affair and fathering children by not only his slave but his dead wife half sister and.....................

Then we had all the later leaders such as Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and on and on and on...............

Somehow I do not think we are better off by removing DSK from power for his sexual "misdeeds" then we would had been removing Franklin or Jefferson or Roosevelt or...........

firefly

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 09:07 pm
@BillRM,
Were the Founding Fathers also accused of sexual harrassment and rape?

Publicity of DSK's various sexual "misdeeds" revealed the man to be a sleaze.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:43 pm
Quote:
Alan Dershowitz Convicts DSK
The maid was discredited. The former IMF chief got off. But was he guilty?
by John Solomon
March 5, 2012

The theater-style, fluorescent-lit classroom at Harvard University’s law school was virtually silent on a crisp fall afternoon. And why not? It’s not every day that law students get the chance to see one of America’s most famous defense lawyers assume the role of prosecutor.

There, in the pit of the classroom, Alan Dershowitz was in effect holding court as one of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance’s bulldogs, making the prosecution’s closing arguments to jurors in the sexual-assault trial against Dominique Strauss-Kahn that never was. Dershowitz was convinced he could secure a guilty conviction, even with the victim’s credibility problems. And he was intent on teaching his students a lesson on how a courageous prosecutor could divert a jury from the weaknesses of his star witness to focus on the evidence of a sexual attack and the preposterous defense of an elitist Frenchman.

It was a tall assignment, and a role quite frankly that Dershowitz himself might never have imagined assuming. Dershowitz was known to take the side of high-profile defendants such as televangelist Jim Bakker, football star O.J. Simpson, boxer Mike Tyson, and publishing heiress Patty Hearst. And his appellate work that overturned Claus von Bülow’s conviction for murdering his wife was the stuff of legal legend, reserved for books and movies.

So, true to character, Dershowitz had initially sided with Strauss-Kahn’s defense when Vance’s prosecutors filed documents in court June 30 identifying their concerns with housekeeper Nafissatou Diallo’s credibility.

Then, while on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, he took a call from a friend, the Sofitel lawyer Lanny Davis.

Davis was convinced after lobbing hard questions at Diallo during a two-hour interview on July 18 that the housekeeper was mostly telling the truth about what happened in Strauss-Kahn’s hotel suite back in May. And after carefully reviewing the evidence from the hotel—especially the time stamps on the hotel security logs and the outcry witness testimony of Diallo’s hotel colleagues—he was certain prosecutors were mistaken in some of their claims that Diallo had changed her story. He saw problems with the investigative work and understood the communication gaps that a shy Guinean immigrant might face when confronted by New York’s grittiest prosecutors in the pressure cooker of a court case with international consequences.

“Many rape victims have credibility issues. But what does it say to future rape victims if a case with this much physical evidence and credible outcry witnesses gets dropped because the victim lied about how she got in the country and other personal issues? Please take another look,” Davis pleaded.

Dershowitz obliged. And he reversed his thinking: the decision on whether Strauss-Kahn was guilty or innocent shouldn’t rest with prosecutors, but with a jury.

Soon after, Dershowitz called me up at Newsweek to describe his change of heart. He was willing to go on the record saying so.

And he wanted to do one better. For weeks he had been looking for a fresh subject for his fall legal-ethics class at Harvard. Now he had a theme: how would you, America’s future lawyers, handle the DSK prosecution?

Before Dershowitz started with his mock-court lesson, though, he needed to set a few predicates for his students, now acting as the jurors. First, Dershowitz would tell the jury they had every right to doubt the accuser. Second, Dershowitz would seek to get entered into evidence a picture of Strauss-Kahn’s naked body, possibly from the police forensic exam after his arrest. If that failed, Dershowitz would have to help jurors picture in their imagination a naked 62-year-old DSK—overweight and slightly hunched, his chest sunken and his skin sagging from the natural progression of age. With the ground rules established, Dershowitz took center stage.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,” he started, “we have enough evidence to convict this man beyond a reasonable doubt even if you don’t believe the accuser. In fact, we are prepared to concede that based on statements she’s made in other contexts, you would be within your right to have some suspicions about her credibility.”

The classroom was silent, with students hanging on every word. “What we are asking you to do is to look at all the facts in the case and decide based on all the facts whether she is, in fact, telling the truth about this one instance, mainly that she was sexually assaulted in that hotel room,” Dershowitz bellowed in his usual impassioned courtroom voice. “Ladies and gentlemen, you have seen the photograph of Dominique Strauss-Kahn naked. Now I just want you to imagine for a second him walking out of the shower, stark naked, and this young woman who you see before you, an attractive young woman, looks at him.”

Finally, there are a few giggles from the jurors’ box. Then another hush.

“Now the theory of the defense is that she looked at him and could not resist her lustful temptations to have seven minutes of oral sex with this man. She simply couldn’t control herself,” he continued, a touch of sarcasm in his voice.

“She didn’t do it for pay because if she did, you would have heard in the media or this courtroom the theory that this was a financial transaction. She didn’t do it because she was forced to, if you believe the defense. She did it because she wanted to. And why would she want to? The only reason she would want to, according to the defense, is that she was so lustfully driven by this beautiful 62-year-old, white-haired, overweight man’s presence that she couldn’t resist his chops.”

Dershowitz elicited healthy laughter with that last line, a sign that the student jurors were beginning to see the absurdity of DSK’s defense. Now the legal scholar wanted to remind them of the forensic evidence pointing to a sexual encounter that was forced, unplanned, and uncomfortable from the victim’s point of view.

“She must have been really enticed by this man’s beauty because she was willing to have this sexual encounter in just seven minutes, with her maid’s uniform still on. Remember that’s where we found his DNA, on her uniform top. And it doesn’t appear she arrived planning on such an encounter, either. There’s no nightie or sexy lingerie. In fact, she wore two pantyhose that day, hardly the attire of a woman looking for casual sex in a hotel room.

“And so we don’t forget, let me remind you also where this all happened. He’s rented a $3,000-a-night suite, one worthy of a honeymoon. It’s got a big bed and a glorious living room. But that’s not where this all went down. In fact, this sexual encounter seems to occur in the most inglorious of places. She was prostrate on the floor, her back pressed to a wall in a narrow hallway near a bathroom, right where we found that DNA. And when this encounter ends, how does the woman the defense says couldn’t control her sexual desires show her appreciation? By spitting his semen on the floor and running out of the room.”

The giggles and laughter are now yielding to a slow-boiling anger.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if you believe that story you should acquit. But if you don’t believe that—if you say to yourself that there is no plausible basis for that account—then you have to seriously consider the prosecution’s account: mainly that she was forced to submit to his sexual advances.

“When you then look at that and put that in the context of the timeline that morning, the semen stains on her dress, his DNA on her crotch, the sickened, disgusted way she acted in the immediate aftermath when she encountered the outcry witnesses, I’m confident you will conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that he sexually assaulted her.

“And you can do so whether or not you believe she is a woman who is generally credible in the other aspects of her life, whether or not this is a woman who has previously lied about other important matters in her life. Yes, she lied to get into the country. But so have many other immigrants seeking a better life. And yes, she told the prosecutors a bogus story about an earlier rape in her homeland because that is what her immigration adviser instructed her to memorize. We’ll concede that,” Dershowitz said.

“But let’s not forget what tales our defendant and his surrogates have tried to get us to believe—even before his current account at this trial. At first, they said it couldn’t have happened because he was out at lunch with his daughter. But that got thrown out as soon as we found his DNA mixed with her saliva in the room and on her dress. Then there were the various theories of a conspiracy, the old ‘honey trap’ scenario. Maybe it was his rival for the French presidency. Or the guy staying next door to him in room 2820. Or the French intelligence agents who he believed bugged and then took his IMF cellphone.

“Now, back in law school we had a name for this. We called it the ‘multiple-choice defense.’ And he’s been playing it. You don’t like this defense? Don’t worry, I got another one for you ... I know you can see right through it. We’re asking you to look at the totality of the evidence and the circumstances in this case and to return a just verdict that reflects the truth of what happened in suite 2806 on May 14, 2011. And I believe if you do, you will vote to convict this man of sexual assault.”

Dershowitz had offered the argument that Vance’s prosecutors failed to devise in weeks of deliberations after they learned of Diallo’s flaws. Now, no one is certain how a jury would rule. But Dershowitz had shown that a credible case—one meeting the burden to overcome reasonable doubt—could at least be presented to a jury.

So where did Vance’s team go wrong with Strauss-Kahn? Dershowitz says Vance “accepted a general rule that you can’t win a sexual-assault case unless you believe the victim, and I believe that is a flawed analysis.” Second, prosecutors failed to realize that had they taken the DSK case to trial, “his defense would have sunk him. Then it would become a case of who is more likely to be lying. And jurors would ultimately see he’s much more likely to be lying even if she is a liar on other counts,” he said.

And with that, the gavel bangs down on his court of lessons.

Excerpted from DSK: The Scandal That Brought Down Dominique Strauss-Kahn by John Solomon, out in June 2012 from Thomas Dunne Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Press.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/03/04/alan-dershowitz-convicts-dsk.html
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Publicity of DSK's various sexual "misdeeds" revealed the man to be a sleaze.

Given that the person who charge him with rape was a proven third world con woman who already claimed that she had been gang rape that later turn out to never had happen and who the prosecutor had declared such a liar that he could not go to trial with her I fail to see how even you can justify his removal from public affairs over it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Were the Founding Fathers also accused of sexual harrassment and rape?

Now I am very very surprise at you also in not considering having sex with a slave as being rape in regard to Jefferson.

Also President Eisenhower having sex with a lowlyand very young lieutenant when he was the commanding general of all the allies forces in your world view as express here many times seem to call for his banning from public life!!!!!!

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 11:14 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
if a case with this much physical evidence and credible outcry witnesses gets dropped because the victim lied about how she got in the country and other personal issues

Such as lying and putting on a highly emotional show for the DA investigators in telling about being gang rape in past and then admitting that it never had happen ....LOL and I mean LOL.

Nothing like lying about one rape to ruin all your credibility over a second story of being rape!!!!!!!!!!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 12:19 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Nothing like lying about one rape to ruin all your credibility over a second story of being rape!

I dont think that was the main thing....it was that she proved to be an actress, she was willing to parade her act as truth. And STILL that ****** Vance was willing to let the act slide if only she would stop telling him known lies. It was only when she refused to comply with his demand to stop telling known lies that he dropped her. If she would have done it he would have continued to try to hang DSK on nothing more than the word of this known liar.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:03 am
@firefly,
No wonder there was some giggling.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:09 am
@spendius,
Quote:
No wonder there was some giggling.

I wonder how must giggling there would had been if the acting job of her breaking down under the stress of her "reliving" a gang rape that never happen where shown.

By all reports it was a great acting job indeed.

If memory serve me correctly she even fell to the floor in pain over retelling the story at one point.

Any jury either civil or criminal jury would need to be brain dead to find DSK guilty of any misdeed in relationship to this con woman.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:50 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Any jury either civil or criminal jury would need to be brain dead

We're talking Bill's world now.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 08:57 am
@BillRM,
What I meant Bill was giggling at Mr Dershowitz preying in the pitiful pit of prurience in order to pot some poke and increase his fame riding on an alleged bit of sordidity way back when in a posh doss-house somewhere on the face of the planet.

I didn't giggle myself. I allowed a knowing smirk to fleetingly cross my countenance mind you.

Is Mr Dershowitz on a speaking tour with this fatuous act he has dreamed up. I often think how bored Americans must be when I notice how popular speaking tours are.

He admits "he had been looking for a fresh subject for his fall legal-ethics class at Harvard". What could be fresher? And with the right colouring and appropriate nods and winks and "you know what I mean squire, wink, wink, say no more stuff, he could probably hold the attention of his class for longer than he usually does when his subject matter is other areas of legal-ethics of considerably more importance, unless you're an apologist for feminism of course, price gouging for example, although admittedly less titivating.

Poor old DSK eh? They did him proud. Meat shaking on the bones disgusting-like. His splattered jism the subject of a Harvard class in legal-ethics. I don't know if that made the woman-crazed old roue laugh but it would have made me laugh had it have been mine.

firefly

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:42 am
@spendius,
Dershowitz doesn't have to worry about increasing his fame--he's as highly regarded as they come in his field.
Quote:
Poor old DSK eh? They did him proud. Meat shaking on the bones disgusting-like.

Yup, just the sort of physique that inspires instant lust in any woman that gazes upon him. Laughing

I think Dershowitz took an interesting tack in focusing on the ludicrous nature of the defense version of what transpired in that hotel room and simply acknowledging that the maid had been less than truthful regarding her immigration application.
It was really the defense that had the least credible account of what happened in that hotel room--and their story was also inconsistent, they did initially deny that any sexual encounter had taken place.
Not only might have Dershowitz's approach worked with a jury, it is very possible that the maid's attorneys might use it in her civil case, and pre-trial hearings in that one begin at the end of this month. Who knows, they might even ask Dershowitz to join her legal team.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:44 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We're talking Bill's world now.

We talking the real world not some dream world where any charge of sexual assault placed by any woman again any man must be true.

If she is a known constant liar on even the matter of being rape in the past and we should overlook that fact, if she had a large numbers of banks accounts around the country all just under 10,000 that known people in the drug trade place funds in we should overlook that matter.

Yes sir such a woman would never falsely file charges looking for a big pay day as she is too outstanding of a person to do that in your and Firefly world.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:48 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Dershowitz doesn't have to worry about increasing his fame--he's as highly regarded as they come in his field

How sad and what an indictment of the social that allow clowns like that to achieve such positions.

If I was paying big $$$$ for an legal education in a top university and they had this clown teaching a course I would sue for my $$$$ back. Drunk
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:51 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Dershowitz doesn't have to worry about increasing his fame--he's as highly regarded as they come in his field.

you do realize he's a lawyer, politicians and bankers look almost respectable next to the scumbags that are lawyers
djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 09:55 am
@djjd62,
and let's not forget, he helped free a murderer, he's a great guy
0 Replies