Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:11 am
@BillRM,
Is there a reason you can't take the time to look at your posts, and edit them?

You seem to just mindlessly copy and post all sorts of extraneous junk on the page in addition to the article you want people to read.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:14 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Sorry but it hardly likely under our legal system that an unproven claim rape attempt that surface ten years after it was supposed to had occur would be allow.

You may be right. I wonder if Joe will weigh in.

OK, I'll weigh in: I can't understand what BillRM is talking about. Is that even English?

engineer wrote:
If the defense is portraying DSK as an upstanding citizen of the world, then I think the prosecution would be able to bring witnesses testifying to less savory aspects of his personality as well, but I'm not a legal professional.

Sexual assault cases have some different evidentiary rules under the federal system -- I'm not sure if New York follows the federal rules, but states often do. It's very difficult to get evidence into the record regarding the complainant's sexual past, precisely because such evidence has historically been used to imply that the complainant was "asking for it" and that she was largely to blame for the defendant's frenzy of desire. On the other hand, if DSK will be arguing that the sex was consensual, I think evidence regarding past episodes where DSK engaged in or attempted to engage in sex with non-consenting females would be admissible to impugn his credibility.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:16 am
@firefly,
Quote:
You seem to just mindlessly copy and post all sorts of extraneous junk on the page in addition to the article you want people to read.

Poor baby a little extra information every once in a while end up on the end of a cut and paste.

firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:22 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Poor baby a little extra information every once in a while end up on the end of a cut and paste.

It's neither "a little extra", nor is most of it informative or even related to the article. It simply reflects the mindless quality of most of your posts.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:24 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
On the other hand, if DSK will be arguing that the sex was consensual, I think evidence regarding past episodes where DSK engaged in or attempted to engage in sex with non-consenting females would be admissible to impugn his credibility.

Another one way shield law how nice and once more a claim event and only a claim event with no proof of it having occur other then a woman word ten years after the event even in our sick court system is unlikely to get pass a judge.

That assuming that the woman is willing to travel to the US or are you claiming that complete hearsay is also allow in our court system as long as it aim at the man in a rape case.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:27 am
@firefly,
Quote:
It simply reflects the mindless quality of most of your posts.

In other word the queen of drama queens is just throwing **** around once more and you can alway go directly to the articles as right on top of the cut and paste is the links.

You do know how to click on a link drama queen?
firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:30 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
To decide that an assault has taken place I like to see bodily injury, ripped clothing, have witnesses who either saw the act or heard the screams and came running, see that the alleged victim tried to call 911 (or in this case the front desk), I like to have a sequence of alleged events that is not particularly strange, I like to not see too many unexplained coincidences, I like to see that the alleged victim does not have a motive to make it all up particularly if all I have is the say so of the alleged victim. I also like to see the alleged abuser acting guilty when he/she is taken by the police.

For most of that, you have to wait for the evidence to be presented at trial. Following an arrest, the police and D.A. do not have to reveal to the public anything beyond what was contained in the criminal complaint presented in court--which laws the person is accused of violating, and which specific behaviors by the accused constituted violations of those laws.

Most people who are arrested, for any crime, do not act guilty when arrested--usually they proclaim their innocence.
firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:32 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

In other word the queen of drama queens is just throwing **** around once more.

What an accurate way to refer to yourself. That does explain the quality of your posts.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:34 am
@firefly,
Quote:
What an accurate way to refer to yourself. That does explain the quality of your posts.

When are we going to get to enjoy more of those fun cartoons you love to post?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:35 am
@BillRM,
Has anyone mentioned what a terrible job you're doing at ignoring me?
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:37 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Has anyone mentioned what a terrible job you're doing at ignoring me?

With such a fine legal mind as your it would be a shame not to look at a few of your posts.
BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:45 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Most people who are arrested, for any crime, do not act guilty when arrested--usually they proclaim their innocence.

So by your logic a guilty man would let everyone know his location during an "escape attempt" in order to look innocence?

That cell phone would need to be damn expense for a guilty man to call the hotel and ask them to try to get if to the airport before he escape to freedom.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:04 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
I think evidence regarding past episodes where DSK engaged in or attempted to engage in sex with non-consenting females would be admissible to impugn his credibility.

Surely only if the evidence has been legally substantiated? I should think even hinting at unsubstantiated evidence would draw an immediate objection from the defence and be upheld accompanied by an admonishment. The alternative gets us back to the beginning. A woman's word against a man's.

BTW--what does "less savory" mean?
firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:06 am
Quote:
Worlds apart: Strauss-Kahn and his accuser share a native language but nothing else
By Brady Dennis,
Monday, June 6, 2011

NEW YORK – Former International Monetary Fund chief Dominque Strauss-Kahn pleaded not guilty on Monday to charges that he sexually assaulted a housekeeper at a Manhattan hotel.

In his first court appearance since he was released on $6 million cash bail last month, Strauss-Kahn, joined by his wife and daughter, answered to charges of attempted rape, sex abuse, a criminal sex act, unlawful imprisonment and forcible touching. He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.

While prosecutors have said that the evidence against the economist is growing every day, defense lawyers said they have obtained information that will damage the maid’s credibility.

Monday’s arraignment was the latest development in a scandal that has sparked an international media frenzy, tossed the IMF into chaos and endangered the agency’s efforts to stabilize the European debt crisis.

The arrest of Strauss-Kahn -- who was removed from a Paris-bound plane by authorities on May 14 and is now confined to a Manhattan apartment after posting $1 million bail and a $5 million insurance bond -- has also thrown into stark relief the vastly different lives of the accused and the accuser — he, one of the world’s most powerful men; she, a hotel housekeeper.

The rich and the poor cross paths thousands of times a day in this city of eight million people. They share flickers of interaction in taxicabs and hotels, in restaurants and on street corners and subway cars, until the privileged go one way and those who serve them go another.

Rarely do such routine encounters end in a “Bonfire of the Vanities” collision of culture and class the way they did last month at the Sofitel hotel near Times Square. A 32-year-old maid accused the head of the International Monetary Fund — a man considered a leading contender to become France’s next president — of sexually assaulting her in a 28th-floor suite.

Strauss-Kahn and the woman he is accused of attacking share an immigrant story of sorts, as French-speaking foreigners who found themselves on American soil. But that’s where the similarities end.

He was born to a wealthy French family and became a respected economist, an elected official and a finance minister and then the leader of one of the most influential financial institutions on the planet.

She is from Guinea, a former French colony in West Africa and one of the world’s poorest countries, and she eventually sought asylum in the United States.

In Washington, Strauss-Kahn lived in an elegant brick mansion in Georgetown, purchased for $4 million by his wife, Anne Sinclair, an heiress and former television and radio personality. It is an overwhelmingly white, well-educated and wealthy neighborhood — nearly 15 percent of households in their Zip code made more than $200,000 a year, according to the 2000 Census.

The couple also own homes in Paris and Marrakesh, Morocco, and have long lived a life of first-class plane rides, luxury hotels and black-tie dinners.

The maid lived with her teenage daughter in a run-down brick building in the Bronx, several blocks north of Yankee Stadium, in a neighborhood of check-cashing joints, fast-food restaurants and corner laundromats. Metal bars cover windows, and police sometimes barge through tenement halls in search of drug dealers. On a recent morning, the D train roared by every few minutes on the overhead track a block away. A discarded condom lay on a sidewalk near the building.

The same Census numbers also paint a strikingly different picture of her neighborhood: largely Hispanic and black, many without a high school diploma. The average household income is $20,000.

Until his indictment on charges including commission of a criminal sexual act and attempted rape, Strauss-Kahn spent his days as a renowned thinker, meeting with heads of state and tackling some of the world’s most pressing financial problems, from the looming debt crisis in Europe to how to help poor nations climb the economic ladder. As head of the IMF, he earned more money than the president of the United States.

Strauss-Kahn globe-trotted so much, his attorney said during a recent court hearing, that his passport ran out of room for more stamps. When he was arrested, he was on his way to meet with German Chancellor Angela Merkel before heading to Brussels to discuss international aid packages for Greece and Portugal.

The maid, whose name has been withheld because of the nature of the allegations, lived a life far more predictable, repetitive and anonymous. Day after day, she made the seven-mile trip from the Bronx south to the Sofitel in midtown to make the beds and clean the bathrooms of its well-heeled clients.

“With limited opportunity for education or experience in Guinea, she came here to make a better life for herself and her daughter,” her attorney, Jeffrey Shapiro, said recently on the “Today” show. He said the housekeeper had worked at the hotel for several years and “was delighted to have this job.”

On the evening of May 26, hours after a New York judge agreed to release Strauss-Kahn on bail while he awaited his next court hearing, two scenes played out in different parts of the city.

Inside the Sofitel on 44th Street, patrons sipped $18 martinis, munched on $23 hamburgers and mostly ignored the TV reporter offering another live report outside the front lobby. Some guests headed upstairs to rooms with marble baths and stocked minibars, while others hailed cabs and disappeared into the swirl of midtown Manhattan.

Miles away on 116th Street in Harlem, many of the people who clean those hotel rooms and drive those cabs were congregating outside the barbershops and bodegas of the city’s most concentrated West African enclave, where the housekeeper had spent time among fellow immigrants.

A halal butcher stood in his doorway. Nearby, men headed into a mosque for evening prayers. The modest cafes served oxtail soup and thiebou djien, a traditional African fish dish. And nearly every television was tuned to French news broadcasts, most of which were reporting on the Strauss-Kahn case.

Here, as in France, as in Washington, as in much of New York City, people chatted about the case, debating what really transpired, whose story they believed or didn’t, how it might end. But they also agreed that the case was being handled differently here in New York than it would have been in their home countries, where the word of the rich and powerful almost always trumps the word of the poor and the struggling.

“If it had happened in Africa, they’re not going to take him to jail,” said Baillo Barry, 49, who immigrated from Guinea and now owns the Fouta African Market on Frederick Douglass Boulevard. Like others, she said the facts are still too hazy to assess guilt or innocence, but this much is certain: Unlike in the country where she and the maid came from, the justice system in American can act as a great equalizer.

“Here, it doesn’t matter who you are ... You could be rich, you could be poor,” she said. “It’s different here.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/worlds-apart-strauss-kahn-and-his-accuser-share-a-native-language-but-nothing-else/2011/05/23/AGxrOEKH_story_1.html

And a group of hotel maids were waiting outside the courthouse to chant, "Shame on you," as DSK arrived to enter his not guilty plea this morning.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:11 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
With such a fine legal mind as your it would be a shame not to look at a few of your posts.

Quite true.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:28 am
@firefly,
Quote:
tossed the IMF into chaos and endangered the agency’s efforts to stabilize the European debt crisis.

Thank for posting an article that agree with me that this arrest had thrown the IMF into chaos and greatly reduce it abilities to help handle an economic crisis that the welfare of tens of millions or more men, women and children depend on the outcome of.

Did you not take note of that gem bury in the **** of attacking a man because he happen to be wealthy unlike his accuser.

Of course his accuser is likely to become wealthy herself beyond any dream she might had of wealth at least if her three lawyers can arrange such a payday.
spendius

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:55 am
@firefly,
Quote:
It simply reflects the mindless quality of most of your posts.

That's the real thing in mindlessness ff. It does seem to be a habit to believe that one's assertions represent the truth on no other evidence than the assertion itself and the implied integrity of the asserter.

I don't find Bill's posts mindless. If he has been on the end of female deviousness his experience is better than mine because I've only observed it in its more delicate manifestations and vicariously through the stories I have been told of the blowtorch form.

It's the men who don't know that female deviousness is a force to be reckoned with I feel sorry for. Or those who have no choice but to pretend it isn't. The former are profound misogynists and the latter are much more common and really should have a ring through their noses.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:05 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Monday’s arraignment was the latest development in a scandal that has sparked an international media frenzy, tossed the IMF into chaos and endangered the agency’s efforts to stabilize the European debt crisis.

But you have been saying all along ff that the IMF would be fine without DSK at the helm. Now you're posting the opposite argument and one Bill has been making in his "mindless" posts.

Quote:
And a group of hotel maids were waiting outside the courthouse to chant, "Shame on you," as DSK arrived to enter his not guilty plea this morning.

At least the prostitutes who danced wildly in the street when their monopoly had been legally confirmed in the Oscar Wilde case were being honest. These "maids" look like they are simply asserting their purity and innocence and that they have never been sexually abused. (see my post on artificial birth control and abortion.)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:15 am
@firefly,
Quote:

I wonder if this case fall apart if all the rallies in this "victim" support will strangely disappear off youtube as the videos of the rallies in support of the "victim" in the so call Duke University case seem to had done.

Where is Sharpton and Jackson at this rally?

Did they learn their lesson or was their planes late?

Oh the new black panther party all three of them or so had yet to show up at this party.
firefly

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:21 am
@spendius,
Quote:

Surely only if the evidence has been legally substantiated? I should think even hinting at unsubstantiated evidence would draw an immediate objection from the defence and be upheld accompanied by an admonishment.

If the defense hints that it is "out of character" for DSK to commit such an assault, they open the door to allowing testimony about past assaultive actions toward women. Similarly, if there are woman who have had very similar experiences with DSK to that reported by the maid--where he locks a door, makes a sudden grab for the woman or chases her, tries to force an assault, etc.--this testimony might be admissible to reveal his "modus operandi". The D.A. would have to feel such witnesses were credible, but their accounts do not have to be substantiated. It would be the defense attorney's job to impugn the credibility of these witnesses during cross-examination, just as the defense tries to impugn the credibility of all the key witnesses, including forensics experts, that will testify for the prosecution.
Quote:
The alternative gets us back to the beginning. A woman's word against a man's.

The laws under which DSK is charged are gender neutral. Had he tried to assault another man in a similar manner, he would be charged the same way.

This stopped being "a woman's word against a man's" once they lodged criminal charges against him. His accuser is now the state of NY. And, it is NYS that is formally accusing him of a sexual assault "by forcible compulsion"--meaning they have forensic evidence to support the element of physical force.