CalamityJane

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:11 pm
@jcboy,
It's so outdated, jcboy. Either have a chandelier hanging down or table/floor lights you just plug in. Why do you call it "Florida room"?
jcboy

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I’ve heard it was called a Florida room not quite sure why though, it’s at the back of the house and leads to the patio.

We call it the dogs room because that’s where their crates are and where they sleep at night.

I may reconsider the lighting, will have to give it some thought.
CalamityJane

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 07:12 pm
@jcboy,
Ah, I see, it's what we call out west "sun room" - those are nice to have!
ossobuco

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ms. Crabby agrees with CJane about the recessed lighting. I have trouble picturing it in a "sun room" anyway.
CalamityJane

Fri 13 Jul, 2012 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
You see, osso, I know you - eventually you come around Smile
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:11 am
hehe Mrs. crabby Smile

I’m starting on the crown molding today. I won’t have much free time to work on it so it may take me a couple weeks before I’m completely finished with this room.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg213/scaled.php?server=213&filename=fl12.jpg&res=landing
Irishk

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:21 am
@jcboy,
Miter cuts terrify me. I always leave that to the pros (they make it look so easy -- it's not lol).
jcboy

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:27 am
@Irishk,
No it’s not, the nail gun scares me lol. Cool
Irishk

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 08:56 am
@jcboy,
I'd nail myself to the wall lol. Make sure Marco's in the room with his finger ready to dial 911. I love DIY projects.
0 Replies

Eva

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 10:47 am
@jcboy,
Our first house was a 1926 Tudor Revival cottage. We did everything on it. In the process, we came up with a motto for ourselves. "We do not handle anything in semi-paste form." I think we spent twice as much having pros come fix our bad drywall mudding & taping, brick mortar, and cement work.

Unfortunately, there's only one way to learn your limits. (And sometimes it's expensive!)
MMarciano

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:02 am
@Eva,
Eva if this were a brand new home built last year he would find something to re-do Laughing
Eva

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:07 am
@MMarciano,
I believe that! Some people are constant renovators, and I strongly suspect Morgan is one of them. We have an architect friend who has been working on his house for almost 30 years now. I don't think he will ever be completely satisfied. He always has another idea.
Butrflynet

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:23 am
@MMarciano,
Marco,

You may be interested in/have a need to know more about a famous landmark in San Jose, California. The next time your family is in northern California, you can take a tour of it to see it all for yourselves. I've been there several times and always find something new to see and learn about it.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/15/5036376-The_Monument_of_One_Ladys_madness_San_Jose.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

Quote:
The Winchester Mystery House is a well-known mansion in Northern California. It once was the personal residence of Sarah Winchester, the widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester. It was continuously under construction for 38 years and is reported to be haunted. It now serves as a tourist attraction. Under Winchester's day-to-day guidance, its "from-the-ground-up" construction proceeded around the clock, without interruption, from 1884 until her death on September 5, 1922, at which time work immediately ceased.[2] The cost for such constant building has been estimated at about US $5.5 million[3] (if paid in 1922; this would be equivalent to over $71 million in 2010).[4]
The Queen Anne Style Victorian mansion is renowned for its size and utter lack of any master building plan. According to popular belief, Winchester thought the house was haunted by the ghosts of the people who fell victim to Winchester rifles, and that only continuous construction would appease them.

There are roughly 160 rooms, including 40 bedrooms, 2 ballrooms (one completed and one unfinished) as well as 47 fireplaces, 10,000 window panes, 17 chimneys (with evidence of two others), two basements and three elevators.

It has gold and silver chandeliers and hand inlaid parquet floors and trim. There are doors and stairways that lead nowhere and a vast array of colors and materials.

it retains unique touches that reflect Mrs Winchester's beliefs and her reported preoccupation with warding off malevolent spirits. These spirits are said to have directly inspired her as to the way the house should be built. The number thirteen and spider web motifs, which carried spiritual significance for her, occur throughout the house. For example, an expensive imported chandelier that originally had 12 candle-holders was altered to accommodate 13 candles, wall clothes hooks are in multiples of 13, and a spider web-patterned stained glass window contains 13 colored stones. The sink's drain covers also have 13 holes. In tribute, the house's current groundskeepers have created a topiary tree shaped like the numeral 13. Also, every Friday the 13th the large bell on the property is rung 13 times at 1 o'clock p.m. (13:00) in tribute to Winchester.

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/
MMarciano

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:28 am
@Butrflynet,
You know Morgan told me about that place, I guess he's been there a couple of times. I'd love to see it! Morgan would probably put an arch in somewhere though lol.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
My parents had friends that lived in San Jose and we would visit often. I’ve been to the Winchester house twice, really neat place! But when I went it was in the summer and it was HOT in that house.

A must see while in San Jose!
ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 05:10 pm
@jcboy,
Morgan - I have to tell you where to start spending some money -

http://www.hennesseyingalls.com/

By far the best art and architecture book store I've ever run across, and I tend to seek those out.

Email them, and they can direct you to books on Florida architecture or Caribbean or Spanish, or about tracts and their permutations. Their used book area is fabulous and their front room stuff will blow your socks off. If you all go to LA again, it is a must visit (it's near the Palisades in Santa Monica), but also worthwhile online.

Signed,

The Pest

PS - when I googled art and architecture bookstores (also book stores) in Florida, Hennessey & Ingalls came up.
(I spent too much money there but I am still not sorry)
ossobuco

Mon 16 Jul, 2012 05:31 pm
@Eva,
That's somewhat why I yammer at him about getting involved in design. I know, he has a day job.

Design at base is pure play and is exhilarating, even and maybe because it may happen with deadline pressure. It gets better or worse as you know more, constraints and play.
0 Replies

jcboy

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 07:59 am
@ossobuco,
That’s a pretty neat site! I was browsing through the children’s books and found a couple I think Antonio would like!

I got up early and worked on the crown molding. It will take me at least another week before I’m finished. I still haven’t decided what color I want to paint it.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg862/scaled.php?server=862&filename=cm1lo.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg849/scaled.php?server=849&filename=cm2g.jpg&res=landing
CalamityJane

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:18 am
@jcboy,
Looks nice. How do you put the crown molding on - nails or glue?
jcboy

Tue 17 Jul, 2012 11:25 am
@CalamityJane,
I have to measure and nail wooden blocks on the wall, when I put up the molding I use a nail gun, bought it at home depot.

After its up I use a white caulking to make it look flush.

When its done I’ll paint the new baseboards and crown molding with a white semi-gloss.

Before I paint the room I’m going to photoshop it and change the colors until I find the one I like.