about the drought

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 02:49 pm
The trees all had a nice drink. In a few days I will have to make sure they get more. There is a 30-40% chance for rain this Friday, if you can believe long range projections. I don't put any credence in them this year, as I almost always am disappointed.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
You know, Edgar, if you go running about like this crying wolf, no one is ever going to believe you about a drought. You photoshop pretty damn good. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:19 pm
@JTT,
???????????? Drunk
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:26 pm
If you lived beneath 19, 60' tall, waterless trees, you would be crying wolf too.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
You know, crying about a drought and then you get his huge rainstorm and the photoshopped picture of the lake really low. You're probably hoping that folks will take pity and Fed Ex you a bunch of buckets, eh, Edgar? Wink

[notice the emoticon, Ed. I'm being silly]
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:31 pm
@JTT,
I am guessing you are being facetious. I don't have equipment for photo-shopping, or if it exists on my computer I don't know where it is or how to use it. Nobody is being asked or expected to offer any help other than advice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:32 pm
Just saw the edit. Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
19, 60' tall, waterless trees,

How many board feet would that be? You could put a pretty fair addition on the place.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@JTT,
Then I would whine until some a2kers volunteered to mill them for me.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now that made me laugh!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
You probably already said, Ed, but how long has this been going on? If nothing else, won't hurricanes end it?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:27 pm
@JTT,
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/drought-exceptional-south_2011-05-12

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/may/dm-south-051211-440x297.jpg

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/may/dm-tx0911-051211-600x405.jpg

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/may/dm-sw-051211-440x297.jpg
JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
Holy ****! Near as I can figure, Edgar was and is smack dab in the middle of the D4 -Exceptional drought zone. I guess he actually can see a whole passel of wolves.

Thanks, BFN.

Texas sure does have a whole lot of counties.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:41 pm
@JTT,
I can only imagine the drought on the other side of the border in that area.

Southeast New Mexico has been experiencing similar severe dryness and it is starting to move into the Albuquerque area.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 05:48 pm
It's nothing to be complacent about. We generally get the most tropical storm activity around August and September. That's a long way off. Which is why I may regret not looking for a way to fell these overgrown twigs.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 06:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I always loved tropical storm activities. They generate the biiiiig ones, the ones that make those once or twice a year reefs come to life.

'Course there wasn't any big pine trees to worry about.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 06:41 pm
When we lived in Corpus Christi, many years ago, hurricane Fern came to town and sat on top of us for six straight weeks. The wind was not that great and was no factor after the first several hours. But the rain was heavy and unrelenting. Bad as I hated that, I would pretty much welcome it now.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 01:52 am
These will save you a heap of water Edgar
Flow control discs

Water flow control discs can be fitted to existing taps ware and showerheads without effecting your water pressure. Installing a flow controller can save up to 72% of water usage.
Available in:
6 Litre per minute flow rate
9 Litre per minute flow rate
12 Litre per minute flow rate
http://www.waterwizzproducts.com.au/img/Pwm.jpg

Water saving aerators
- male and female

Aerators can be installed to your existing taps reducing flow rates from 18-28 litres a minute to 6 or 8 litres per minute. Improving water usage, pressure and oxygenating the water from your tap
Available in:
6 Litre per minute flow rate
8 Litre per minute flow rate

http://www.waterwizzproducts.com.au/img/Pam.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:31 am
@dadpad,
Thanks, dadpad. We have an independent water company that operates from next door. Water pressure is not very high to begin with. I did read that pines require less water than other trees - oaks, for instance. Small consolation. We are allowed yard watering on odd numbered days, three times per week, from 8PM until 8AM. I go out and get it a bit wet around the trees. Then, in between, I use saved water. So far, no brown leaves (needles) showing. In front, there is a bald cypress. It began browning prematurely last fall. I give it more water than any other.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 11:43 am
@edgarblythe,
bald cypress is one of my favorite trees, ed. (that and corkscrew willows)

give that one a drink for me, eh...?
0 Replies