about the drought

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:19 pm
@Irishk,
Folks out here in CA don't even know what a thunderstorm is. I took some home to TX once on a trip, we had a good sized storm come through, and they thought the world was ending on them. It was fun to watch them cringe at every huge thunderclap.

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Those are some scary looking clouds. Appears they had to turn on the stadium lights. You have a weird sense of humor Smile
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Folks out here in CA don't even know what a thunderstorm is. I took some home to TX once on a trip, we had a good sized storm come through, and they thought the world was ending on them. It was fun to watch them cringe at every huge thunderclap.

Cycloptichorn

Thunderstorms are one of the reasons I love living in Central Texas.

Sometimes at night, with the windows open, you can hear the thunder rolling and rolling and rolling from miles away. It's so peaceful.

I also love the big thunder boomers. Makes me feel alive.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Those are some scary looking clouds. Appears they had to turn on the stadium lights. You have a weird sense of humor Smile

Well, it's just that, when you grow up with big storms, you become so used to them that you hardly even notice. But these guys were so on edge, it was crazy.

They get to have their fun, too - even after 5 years, little earthquakes give me the willies, while they don't blink an eye.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:31 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Thunderstorms are one of the reasons I love living in Central Texas.

Sometimes at night, with the windows open, you can hear the thunder rolling and rolling and rolling from miles away. It's so peaceful.

I also love the big thunder boomers. Makes me feel alive.

I remember being in the 4th grade. My school had a HUGE back lot to play in, and a bunch of us were out there playing kickball or something. It had been kind of stormy that day, but not so bad - but all of a sudden, there was a CRACK of lightning thunder, like Zeus throwing a bolt right at us, and just like that the storm was on. We all ran back towards the school, and looking back, I saw the rain front begin to move across our lot and sweep towards us. I've never seen rain like that before or since, a deluge, that you could actually see the beginning wall of. It caught up to us RIGHT before we made it inside, so we all got good and wet in about 10 seconds.

You're right - sometimes the big storms are annoying, but they do make you feel alive.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:56 pm
The only earthquake I was in while growing up in California, I was swimming. Never had a clue, until much later.
The great winds have not materialized. We got probably from a half to an inch of rain since last I posted. It's still wet. Places like Sugarland, the Galeria, Rosenburg and Jersey Village have no power.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yay
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Done already? I hope it keeps up! An inch or more of rain will save the lives of those trees.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 02:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
There is a light rain going on. I was disappointed not to have caught more water in my containers.
sozobe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 02:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hope the light rain keeps up for a while.

From the radar at Weather Underground it looks like you have a bunch of rain left. The storm tracks are a little confusing, it's not all going the same direction. But potentially a couple of hours' worth.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Tomball.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:11 pm
The light rain is coming down, still. I may have overestimated the initial amount we received, since none of the holes my dog put all over the property got filled at all.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
If it's as dry as you say, that ground will suck water right on' up.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here's the precipitation estimates, edgar.

http://radblast-mi.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/radar/WUNIDS_map?station=HGX&brand=wui&num=6&delay=15&type=NTP&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&t=1305235031&lat=29.71940041&lon=-95.22284698&label=Houston%2C+TX&showstorms=0&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=400&centery=240&transx=0&transy=0&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&smooth=0
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That sandy soil. I am going to put in mulch to slow the water from passing through so quickly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:19 pm
@JPB,
I'm in the .5 gray, jpb.
JTT

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are those estimates or actual? It shows a 5 to 7 inch fall southwest of Bryan. Talk about feast or famine, eh?
JPB

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:31 pm
@JTT,
I think they're estimates based on the doplar readings.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 03:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like you got a few more cloud spits from the storm than we did in ABQ. There's a much smaller one due here in the next 48 hours. Hope the rain from it comes your way too, and leaves behind the lightning strikes that start all the wild fires.

We're getting the wild winds and nothing else. Couple days ago there was so much dust in the air that if you were looking at the Sandias, you might have thought you were in Los Angeles and trying to find the San Bernardino mountains.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 05:28 pm
We had a light rain for a pretty long time after the initial downpour. I am pretty happy. But our electric blinked a couple of times, shutting down my computer.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 02:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
How are the trees? Did they get a good drink of water?
0 Replies