The Royal Wedding: Is The Coverage Media Overkill?

firefly

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:37 pm
http://www.luxuo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Royal-Wedding-Invitation-468x328.jpg

I just know my invite must have gotten lost in the mail...guess I won't bother sending the happy couple that toaster oven.

I love the pomp and pageantry of events like coronations and royal weddings. I got up at an ungodly hour to watch the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer, and I will probably do the same when Prince William and Catherine Middleton marry on Friday. I am looking forward to seeing the entire event, and "the dress", and "the tiara", and all the horse-drawn fairy tale coaches.

And, as much as I enjoy gossip about the Royals, and hearing all sorts of trivial details about the upcoming wedding and the people involved, at this point, I have had about as much pre-nuptial hype as I can tolerate. I think the amount of coverage in the American media reached saturation point several days ago and is now clearly into overkill. It is almost as though nothing else in the world is going on.

How do you feel about the Royal Wedding? Plan on watching it? Disinterested? Tired of all the pre-event hoopla and media coverage? Think it's a welcome change from all the bad news we usually hear?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 30,806 • Replies: 337

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 10:17 pm
@firefly,
I am with the 72%
Quote:
How fascinated are Americans with Prince William’s and Kate Middleton’s nuptials next week? According to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll, not very. Only 6 percent have been following news about the wedding very closely, and an additional 22 percent are following it somewhat closely.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/world/europe/23royals.html?_r=1

I'd be curious about the brain trust that decided to devote a lot of time to this, maybe the ad price market does not work like I think it does.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm
@firefly,
Of course. Media Overkill, I mean.

If I am well enough I am going to a spoof party.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 12:37 am
GET THIS DAMNDED WEDDING OFF A2K!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish the young couple all the best for the future but we are seriously swamped media wise.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:43 am
@dadpad,
We love spectacle.
Muggles please
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:48 am
@firefly,
What coverage? Every time I even hear something about a wedding I change the station immediately. It's like a minor annoyance between weather forecasts, local murders and business reports.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:49 am
The monarchists in Canada are peeing in their panties. No, this is not media overkill. This is big news for those who obsess over royalty, they can't get enough of it. It's also big business for Little England, which is going to clean up in tourist money from the rubes.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The monarchists in Canada

all 8 of them

~~~~

I was thinking of wearing a hat to work tomorrow.

nahhh

Not watching t.v. helps keep the coverage to a dull roar. They mention it on the radio news occasionally, but it's not huge (other than the odds on Prince Philip falling asleep).
djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:30 am
apart from the 1/2 hour nightly news, the only reference to the wedding i'm likely to hear on any given day, is Anthony from the Opie and Anthony show, musing about wether or not Harry will wear his nazi uniform to the event (for that i might watch)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:37 am
@ehBeth,
They've spoken to more than eight of them on CBC. Hell, they've spoken to more than eight of them camped out in London right now. One was a woman who is camped out by Westminster, and has nothing more for shelter than an umbrella.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:40 am
If you go to the Monarchist League of Canada web site, it's all wedding, all the time . . .
djjd62

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:48 am
@Setanta,
i think i'll stick to the monarch butterfly web site Cool
sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:51 am
A local theater is going to be showing the wedding live and serving tea and scones and such -- sozlet really wants to go, it's kind of tempting.

Probably we're going to try to get up early and watch a bit before she goes to school.

I'm not that interested/ invested but I remember how interested I was with Diana, and I was just sozlet's age at the time. So I'm inclined to go with it.
chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:51 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

What coverage? Every time I even hear something about a wedding I change the station immediately. It's like a minor annoyance between weather forecasts, local murders and business reports.

Ditto.

Although I don't change the station, because I'm not watching any TV.
I do not however, look at pictures or words pertaining to this on the interweb.
Actually, this is quite easy.

Not listening to the radio either, too engrossed with audio books.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:57 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I was thinking of wearing a hat to work tomorrow.

Oh GOD!

Do it! Do it!

That would be so great.

http://royalweddings.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/prince-william-and-kate-middleton/20110221506/royal-wedding/philip-treacy/official-hat-designer/0-1-464/beatrice--b.jpg

http://media.cleveland.com/style_impact/photo/britain-royal-wedding-hats-2784e9954dd963ec.jpg

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:58 am
@djjd62,
Don't tune into CBC right now . . . they've spent the last hour on it, mostly about how wonderfully Diana raised her boys. They've been talking to the woman who was royal photographer for 25 years . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:06 am
What the hell. There is so much misery in the news, that a royal wedding is a welcome distraction.

IMO, Americans have their "royal" weddings too. Just look at the hype over any celebrity who is anybody gets hitched, or even shacks up with someone. Far be it from me to rain on Kate and Willie's parade. I don't expect to get up at 4 a.m. to watch the nuptials, but if I am up, I may just take a quick peek.

BTW, I have not watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in decades.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 07:41 am
Not interested in royals--of any country. Not much interested in weddings either, unless they involve someone I know personally.

Basically:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/3891746803_053ee51bfc.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:26 am
One reason this is being hyped up so much is because the media industry profits from advertising from the wedding industry and sub-industries and they're all hoping the royal wedding will inspire folks to again spend tens of thousands of dollars on their own wedding paraphernalia again.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 11:46 am
@sozobe,
Now that sounds like fun! What a great idea.

Even though I wouldn't get up that early...I will watch the media highlights.

As far as too much media on them - no more than any other type of crap like this - Lindsey Lohan, Bieber and stuff like that.

Not too much for me in a sense as I don't watch enough tv to see/much of it - I just found out this week it was Friday.